Using a heat lamp

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I purchased a heat pad and have noticed it doesn't raise the temperature at all. It is on the side of the tank.

I've read on these forums that many people use heat lamps with a red bulb for their scorpions

I'm planning to buy a heat lamp because I want my Emperor scorpion to be more active. Also, because I want to make the terrarium look a lot better and suit his needs.

Are heat lamps expensive and will they burn out quick? What type of bulb do I need for my Emperor scorpion?

If I buy a heat lamp will there be changes in my scorpion? because he doesn't hide under anything anymore he's just out in the open where my heat pad is located...

Thank you :]

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for say a 10g talk a 50watt red bulb is between 6-10 bucks, and the lamp itself will probably be around 15$. What are your current temps? The bulbs that i buy say average 3000 hours. Not sure if i believe it tho mine never seem to last that long. Get rid of the heatpad and go with the redbulb

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
for say a 10g talk a 50watt red bulb is between 6-10 bucks, and the lamp itself will probably be around 15$. What are your current temps? The bulbs that i buy say average 3000 hours. Not sure if i believe it tho mine never seem to last that long. Get rid of the heatpad and go with the redbulb
agreed....my clamp lamp was on sale for like 8$

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
Well I remember without the heat pad it was about 73-77 F
And with the heat pad and daily misting it would go up to about 80 F

50w light bulb isn't to much for the scorpion? I don't want him to die or anything!

What are your temperatures without a heat lamp?

I live in California and its about 76-80F in my house every day

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I remember without the heat pad it was about 73-77 F
And with the heat pad and daily misting it would go up to about 80 F

50w light bulb isn't to much for the scorpion? I don't want him to die or anything!

What are your temperatures without a heat lamp?

I live in California and its about 76-80F in my house every day
with temps in the 70's your scorpion will be less active. A heat lamp keeps my 10g at around 85degrees. what size tank do you have, i just put a 50w right on top of the screen on a 10g and its good.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
I have a 10 gallon tank i think. Its definetaly not a 5 gallon.

So you're saying with the right temp and humidity my scorpion will be more active??

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 10 gallon tank i think. Its definetaly not a 5 gallon.

So you're saying with the right temp and humidity my scorpion will be more active??
basicily yes, but dont expect to see it out much during the day still. Low temps cause scorps to be less active, higher temps and your emp will be happier and more active at night. Also keeping it fed well will keep it more active.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
His water dish is on the side where vent for fresh air is. Should I move it to the other side when I get a heat lamp?

I want to buy him all new stuff too because I bought my terrarium and his things inside used. but i dont want him to get stressed out

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
His water dish is on the side where vent for fresh air is. Should I move it to the other side when I get a heat lamp?

I want to buy him all new stuff too because I bought my terrarium and his things inside used. but i dont want him to get stressed out
Yea moving the heat lamp will help with humidity, just make sure its always full...it will dry out fast under the lamp. Perhaps post a pic of your enclosure set up and i can look at it and give ya some tips or suggestions

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks!
well here are some pix i took just now
my emp is always in that little corner now. he use to go in the little cave thingy you see in the pictures.

i suck at taking pictures but you can pretty much see all the things i have in the terrarium

if you can please tell me some obsticles and other things i can add in my terrarium to make it look nice and keep my scorp active :]

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
get some more substrate and try to use a false bottom setup so humidity will regulate itself..how big is your emp??

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
I dont know how big he is

he is a lot bigger than what he looks like in the pictures because he like squished himself againt the glass and thats where he spends most of the day

i got one of the biggest one at the pet store. so id say hes full grown.
what will more substrate do?

what do you mean by a false bottom? sorry i am new at this thing

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont know how big he is

he is a lot bigger than what he looks like in the pictures because he like squished himself againt the glass and thats where he spends most of the day

i got one of the biggest one at the pet store. so id say hes full grown.
what will more substrate do?

what do you mean by a false bottom? sorry i am new at this thing
more substrait will allow it to burrow if it pleases, a false bottom is were you bottom layer is rocks with a tube going to the bottom. Pour water down the tube so it fills up the rock layer and it will provide more of a natural earth humidity and you wont need to mist as much. Heres my false bottom setup:

if thats a sponge in your water bowl take it out, you dont need it and will cause bacteria and stuff you dont want.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
I think i will do a false bottom next time i have to change the bedding. looks nice and since itll provide him with a natural earth humidity

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I personally like to use Ceramic heat lamps. My ex girlfrined hookep me up with a cheap price but they are quite expensive. I really don't know the prices but they don't emitt any light and still produce a lot of heat. I use this only because any little light doesn't let me sleep at night.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah it makes it easier to handle humidity...and with more substrate it can burrow...and if you say its pretty big, i would say adding about 4 more inches...

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im going to try to be the eagle eye and wager that isn't an emp but a closely related species... Stop doing jumping jacks while taking pics, and let auto-focus do it's job so we can tell you for sure. :)

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you are worried about the temp, why not link the haet lamp up to a thermostat, that way nothing to worry about and your temp will always fall within a narrow range.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bump this topic.

Will getting any lamp besides red harm my emperor?

I want to see it at night, should I get one of those moonlight bulbs?

Or does it not work for scorpions?

I currently only have a regular heat bulb.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bump this topic.

Will getting any lamp besides red harm my emperor?

I want to see it at night, should I get one of those moonlight bulbs?

Or does it not work for scorpions?

I currently only have a regular heat bulb.
Ive hurd the moonlight bulbs are harmful to scorps, you will be able to view your scorp at night with a red bulb...probably. If not use a flashlight