USDA Open Comment period on regulation changes

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
USDA/ APHIS is working on upgrading and hopefully easing permit requirements.

This is open for public comment here:

https://www.regulati...APHIS-2008-0076

There are currently many comments regarding snails (both as food and pets) and soil, but very few comments trying to push for easing regulations on insects.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
We might be able to have more people with exotic phasmids in the US! Hopefully more people are willing to participate in these politics.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't hold your breath, my expectation is that there will be at best little change and at worst greater restriction.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Don't hold your breath, my expectation is that there will be at best little change and at worst greater restriction.
True, then again, the more people you have, the greater influence you have. This society is a republic capitalist one. So more people means more power. As long as it is rational.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
KevinsWither is right, and I think the fact that they are even opening this up for public comment is a good thing.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
KevinsWither is right, and I think the fact that they are even opening this up for public comment is a good thing.
I did comment and I would recommend adding in stuff relating to individuals keeping them as pets and for education. Also I would add in specifics about how they would not be a threat to agriculture nor would even establish themselves in the wild nor survive in the wild if they were to be released by accident. I would also get more and more people to make a case for it. Gov agencies have done some things, but the thing about freedom "rational" is not really that free.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Just out of curiosity did anyone comment? I did. But we need multiple people to help cross-source as snailsinthemail, a butterfly breeder, a couple of soil firms, a research company, and a few more have went in. I will also comment that we the people have a voice for a reason, so use it.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Come on people comment if you can. As long as you stay anonymous they can't really do anything.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Also be sure to say why it would be needed and the reasons for lessening regulations

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have read thru the comments posted there so far, sadly a great many of the entomologically related ones contain little more than because it would be cool to own/breed "X' insect, snail or whatever. There are however a few nice well though comments which could be beneficial to the crusade. One thing the "bug" crowd is not taking into account though is that although the species they want to allow may not be a hazard they could in fact be carrying something that is.

Last edited:

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I have read thru the comments posted there so far, sadly a great many of the entomologically related ones contain little more than because it would be cool to own/breed "X' insect, snail or whatever. There are however a few nice well though comments which could be beneficial to the crusade. One thing the "bug" crowd is not taking into account though is that although the animal in question is that although the species they want to allow in may not be a hazard they could in fact be carrying something that is.
That is a good one. The more we have from certain view points, the better.