USDA import permit question

spyderlady

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone here know if the USDA will supply import permits to hobbyists? This relates to importing butterfly and moth eggs, larvae, pupae and adults.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sure anyone can get a permit, it is just a matter of how much are you going to pay?
For some of those insects you will have to check if they can be imported even with a permit

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What i would do is look up local import/export companies and give them a call. They will be very well versed on most of the process as well as guide you to the proper channels.

A quick check gave me this link. Check it out.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spyderlady,

Depends on the species and the intended use. You would be working with both USDA and FWS. FWS charges importation and inspection fees on every shipment, that can be pretty steep (again, depending on your situation).

Steven

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
SERIOUSLY? Have you never seen that button on every page that says 'search' ? This topic has been beaten to death 100 times over, and that's on this forum alone.

NO. USDA will not issue permits to individuals or your home EVER. This has only happened maybe 5 times in the past 30 years and that was because the USDA was in a pinch as to where to put plants or insects/livestock that was confiscated. If you or an institution is willing to spend the money to make a government approved holding facility, you can possibly get the permit, but an approved sealed room by my estimate three years ago can range from 22,000 to 50,000 dollars and even then you may or may not get approved. You also have to not only have the appropriate apparatus in place but have developed a handling protocol complete with resolutions and scientific documentation/references why your protocol is appropriate.

Here is what happens if you do get 'things in place' but make assumptions that you get approved and have 8 insects or eggs sent to you:

I have been up and down this road dozens of times, and the end result is that I will never import anything or even think about it, but I do have a really clean room to keep my current critters in....

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Christ in a cracker, Bruce Banner, you forget your medication today?! Perhaps using a little tact and/or decency would serve you better in getting your point across OR maybe you should just just not answer questions at all if you insist on being a condescending @ss:barf::embarrassed:

spyderlady, this Q is prob. best taken up between you and APHIS:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/organism/butterflies_moths.shtml

Let us know how it turns out.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
APHIS will do nothing for you but give you vague answers at best and refer you back to the USDA for permitting, who will tell you NO.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

@ zonbonzovi- Whatever. People in America are so super-sensitive these days....post will be read anyway.

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners".
-- Charlton Heston

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SERIOUSLY? Have you never seen that button on every page that says 'search' ? This topic has been beaten to death 100 times over, and that's on this forum alone.

NO. USDA will not issue permits to individuals or your home EVER. This has only happened maybe 5 times in the past 30 years and that was because the USDA was in a pinch as to where to put plants or insects/livestock that was confiscated. If you or an institution is willing to spend the money to make a government approved holding facility, you can possibly get the permit, but an approved sealed room by my estimate three years ago can range from 22,000 to 50,000 dollars and even then you may or may not get approved. You also have to not only have the appropriate apparatus in place but have developed a handling protocol complete with resolutions and scientific documentation/references why your protocol is appropriate.

Here is what happens if you do get 'things in place' but make assumptions that you get approved and have 8 insects or eggs sent to you:

I have been up and down this road dozens of times, and the end result is that I will never import anything or even think about it, but I do have a really clean room to keep my current critters in....
Oh man that picture brings me a lot of memories.

I second this, been there done that. NO permits were ever issued to me.
I always got my applications with a big rejected stamp on them.

I gave up.

So good luck, if you do pursue those permits.

spyderlady

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, guys. So much for that. I can never import butterflies that are native to my country from a place like World Wide Butterflies. A butterfly farm in England.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Out of curiosity- are you saying you are native to England or to where, and the butterflies are in England?