Usamvbara Spiderlings

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi all,
I am going to seperate my Usambara spiderlings this weekend and am looking for some advice.
I was told to wait until they were 2nd instar before removeing them, but I'm not sure how to tell that they are ready.
When they first emerged, they were orangish/brown and had large abdomens. Now most of them are very dark with almost black legs. Very different in apperance, but they still have decent size abdomens.
Any thoughts on when to seperate them? Could most of them already be 2nd instar? Its been about 3 weeks since they first emerged.
Thanks!
Ralph

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by rknralf
Hi all,
I am going to seperate my Usambara spiderlings this weekend and am looking for some advice.
I was told to wait until they were 2nd instar before removeing them, but I'm not sure how to tell that they are ready.
When they first emerged, they were orangish/brown and had large abdomens. Now most of them are very dark with almost black legs. Very different in apperance, but they still have decent size abdomens.
Any thoughts on when to seperate them? Could most of them already be 2nd instar? Its been about 3 weeks since they first emerged.
Thanks!
Ralph
Almost certainly they are 2nd instars now. If they were able to emerge from the eggsac on their own, that proves they must have been 1st instars at that point, as it is my understanding eggs with legs aren't capable of that kind of mobility.

They can be separated as soon as they become 2nd instars, but it may or may not be easier to do once they begin to disperse on their own. IME this usually occurs a week or two after they molt into 2nd instars, but may vary according to species and food availability.

I will also add that if there is any possibility of their escaping the maternal vivarium and dispersing all over your house on their own, it might be wise to separate them prior to that point ;)

Joy

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The bigger they get, the faster they get, (at least in the early instars)so sooner may be better than later! When I have to do this, I usually set the whole container down inside a large aquarium or sooth sided plastic tub. It won't stop the slings, but it'll slow 'em down!

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Re: Re: Usamvbara Spiderlings

Originally posted by Joy
I will also add that if there is any possibility of their escaping the maternal vivarium and dispersing all over your house on their own, it might be wise to separate them prior to that point ;)

Joy
Aww, c'mon now, Joy! Just what everyone needs..free-ranging Usambaras! =D

Peace,
Gillian

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Usamvbara Spiderlings

Originally posted by Gillian
Aww, c'mon now, Joy! Just what everyone needs..free-ranging Usambaras! =D

Peace,
Gillian
Don't laugh, I've had that situation! Once, I waited a long time to seperate the slings, and several of the little devils escaped. They'd turn up here and there over the next several months, apparently fat and happy. They survive pretty well in a home enviroment.

I gave one to a friend once, it escaped, and he found it later in the back of his sock drawer, where it had apparently constructed a retreat and eveything!

Wade

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Usamvbara Spiderlings

Originally posted by Wade

I gave one to a friend once, it escaped, and he found it later in the back of his sock drawer, where it had apparently constructed a retreat and eveything!

Wade
One hardly dares ask what it found to live on in that environment ;)

Joy

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Usamvbara Spiderlings

Originally posted by Joy

Joy
Ha! Seriously, though, every room in the guy's apartment is stacked floor to seeling with reptile cages...crickets are omnipresent. I'm sure the spider was well fed!

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Usamvbara Spiderlings

Originally posted by Joy

Joy

=D LOL! =D

Peace,
Gillian

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I didnt have any problems separating my usambaras. Once Mom was out of the burrow safely, without harming any slings, would just coax one or two at a time out and into a vial. take your time and don't get too many stirred up at once. The ones below are 2nd instar, and I seperated right after this pic. [128 slings], the longer after that you wait, the faster and more apt they are to start dispersing on their own. you can do all of this in a tub as well to prevent escapes. It gets easier and you know what to expect the more experience you get. Just take your time and dont get rushed like my wife did one time....thats another story...LOL

Take Care, Dean

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm on hold

Well,
Yesterday I started getting sick, so I didn't attempt to seperate them. Today I went to the doctor with a 102+ fever and come to find out I have strep throat.
Needless to say, I will not be able to seperate them until this uncoming weekend. I hope the extra time allows them to mature a little more, and even if they are fast, I will definately take all your advice and be patient.
By the way, get pic spiderdad33. I hope mine are that attractive. As of yesderday, mine were all dark with black legs. I hope the color comes in soon.
Thanks!
Ralph

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ralph....sorry to hear you are sick :(
Take it easy and get lots of rest!
It was great talking to you on the phone, and let us know how many you have once you've separated them!!