Usambara baboon slings - On the loose!

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well...we had the worst happen. Not being experienced breeders,we weren't sure what to do with our newfound Usambara sling...well,they knew just what to do and how to escape. We were soon finding them making webs in our couches and chairs,in my air conditioner,even inside my chameleon's lamp....what do we do? We sprayed the house already,but how potent is the sling's vemon? What will happen if we get bit,and what should we do if this happens? We're about to ship the whole thing,enclosure,babies and all to anyone who wants it for $100,I swear. How bad could this be?

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In all likelihood, they'll die very soon without water anyway. The venom is potent enough to hurt for a while, but at that size, they are much more likely to run away anyway. Is it too late to crawl around on hands and knees, everywhere around where they were and in the rooms that you've been finding them and just search with a flashlight and tiny paintbrush, in every crack and crevise, including those you think are too small, and see how many you can recapture?

phyrphreek

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whew

Well,we have too many animals in the house to take any chances..including newborn kittens *:) But the remaining slings we'll probably try and capture...not to mention there's probably about 50-100 left in the cage.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Two day's ago I lost a 4 inch Pterinochilus murinus, and keep searshing for it. This said, theres no reason for panicking. Keep searshing, from 12 to 4 am, on the wall's.

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ummmm///
They may NOT die...
Where I live in the midwest, in the winter outside it gets at time 20 below...0 faranheit... we switch to celsius just to keep our spirits high.. LOL

ANY way.. a manager of a mega petstore and I were talking the other day...
He used to breed L. paraybana's...
And he was told "You will get a few Large babies..."
UH No.. he got hundreds of small babies. He kept them in a typical KK.
THis was years ago. He lives in an old farm house, with a dirt/brick basement.
He has had some survive, to this day down in the basement.
A few weeks ago he went down there and saw one skedadling for a dark corner.
His house maintains heat so well in the basement (most have the central heating/cooling in the basement area...) that his slings grew up and he now has a small wild colony in his basement.

Go fig...
You need to be sure to check... or you might find one under a corner of your couch when you least expect it.. and after a move or two..
Just an FYI

T-chick

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ummmm///
They may NOT die...
Where I live in the midwest, in the winter outside it gets at time 20 below...0 faranheit... we switch to celsius just to keep our spirits high.. LOL

His house maintains heat so well in the basement (most have the central heating/cooling in the basement area...) that his slings grew up and he now has a small wild colony in his basement.

Go fig...
You need to be sure to check... or you might find one under a corner of your couch when you least expect it.. and after a move or two..
Just an FYI

T-chick
ROFL!!! Oh my God! If I were him, I'd post an ad on here: Free L. parahybana. All you can catch!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well...we had the worst happen. Not being experienced breeders,we weren't sure what to do with our newfound Usambara sling...well,they knew just what to do and how to escape. We were soon finding them making webs in our couches and chairs,in my air conditioner,even inside my chameleon's lamp....what do we do? We sprayed the house already,but how potent is the sling's vemon? What will happen if we get bit,and what should we do if this happens? We're about to ship the whole thing,enclosure,babies and all to anyone who wants it for $100,I swear. How bad could this be?
i dont want that many but if you capture some id like a few lol

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
paras in the basement

Just think of that........ 'If you go down the basement, and see some really big spiders, feel free to take one.' LOL

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
vacuum the house and then open the bag or get a bagless vacuum cleaner :)

trapieter

Arachnopeon
now that is why I don't trust slings lol atleast you have more chance of seeing a big bugger coming for ya or running from ya across the floor!
If it were me I'm afraid I'd have to move everything and stay up all night with the paint brush and coke bottle whatever and find em coz I would not be able to sleep lol. the bite shouldn't be so bad it's just that chance of them surviving and you one day finding a huge angry one in your bed or shower lol
the vacuum sounds good if you don't want them alive or undamaged... I'd be worried otherwise.
I feel for you I really do and wish you good luck with it all what ever you choose to do.
jojo xx

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used double sided tape to catch a seemanni spiderling once. It was the last resort and amazingly it worked without any damage to the spider. Woke up one morning and there it was, a leg got stuck on the tape. ;)

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your chances of even being bitten are remote, but you'll want to round the little buggers up, even if it's just for piece of mind..! {D

It's likely they will be more active at night (late) hence Cedrik's advice to search then. I'd say you should dedicate an entire night to searching after which keep a capture jar in every room, along with a flashlight. Oh, and a bottle of scotch...for you, not them. {D

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ummmm....... Ok I dont post to often, I just soak up the info and go about my daily business, but I just cant go on without saying this... There are WAAAAYYYY to many escapes happening, either during feedings moving homes etc. The US government is already making it harder and harder to own exotic animals all the time, and the more escapes folks keep having the more chances there are for foriegn species to be introduced into the non-native wilds here in the US. Which in turn will cause the government to start cracking down even harder on the folks who love these animals. It only took about 10 years here in florida and as of next month you can't purchase any of the giant snakes without a permit and paperwork now (which is a good idead because nobody likes a 12' burmese python cruzing thru the backyard and sucking up your kitty cat :} ).

I understand these things can happen, but try to doublecheck things (ie doors, lids etc.), or figure out a way of usng some sort of checklist to make sure all is secure. I know some of you have so many enclosures that you cant even count them all without a abacus, so this must make it even more difficult.

We already have non-native Ts, lizards, and large boas and pythons roaming all over the friggin place in Florida and it is only a matter of time b4 our government turns into friggin brazil (i think thats where TheNatural is from) and all of this fun hobby will go to crap when the lovely government comes crahing down on all of us who love our exotics.

Just my 2 cents

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ummmm///

T-chick
Holy Snoikeez! A wild colony of parahybana's in the basement?! Wow. I guess he doesn't have a mouse problem. Or a roach problem or a cricket problem, or snakes, lizards, centipedes, kittens...

I wonder if they inspect for that when you sell a house. Imagine the unknowing buyer going into the basement of their new house to find a few dozen gigantic black hairy tarantulas. There's probably 20 lbs of spiders down there!

PsychoChaser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There can only be one!

Given enough time there will only be one T left to deal with. Provide that there are no other food sources.

Good luck.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Given enough time there will only be one T left to deal with. Provide that there are no other food sources.

Good luck.
Hah...if there is no other food...which some of us know, is never the case in an old warm basement...lol

or...what if they breed, and there are TONS....lol. Dang...that would be worse than a haunted house! :eek:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
paras

I wondered about that too, what about when they are adults and mate down there? One eggsac and then its lots of little paras if enough survive. Not only that, what if some then escaped thru a basement window? From what Ive read here, tho, isnt it unlikely males would be ready at the same time as a female? So maybe it wouldnt get worse. I would worry tho.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ummmm///
They may NOT die...

Go fig...
Just an FYI

T-chick
That guy seriously needs to catch those suckers and would get a pretty penny for it!

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
these OBT's don't just die. a friend of mine told me about some one who had a bunch in deli cups and one fell behind ther couch and they didn't know well it was there for 6 months before they found it and it was still alive with 2 molts in with it these thing are like Jason and dangit I love them.

P.s why did you breed these if you did not know what you where getting into

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I would not worry too much about sling bites for yourself or other members of your household. If bit, pain will not be as severe and only localized.

Though chances are, a few will make it to adulthood, they are very hardy. For the most part they will runaway and are little risk to you and your family, though inquistive cats/dogs may run into one, corner it and/or try to eat it. They may end up seriously sick or dead if bitten. For some reason T venom is more potent against non-human vertebrates.

Set out glue traps to catch them and also look for the webbing they'll lay down as their "burrows" and get them then. Odds are you'll probably never see most of them again.