Usambara baboon slings - On the loose!

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bites

I would worry more about (if some not caught), a child or pet accidently coming across one and the T becomes defensive and possibly biting. Also the possibility one may hide in a crevice of the couch and accidently be sat on with a defensive bite be the result. As mentioned would mainly be very painful. I would consider bug-bombing the house if you don't feel up to attempting to catch the escapees (if you can), but all of us, being T keepers, would prefer they be captured somehow and given/sold to other keepers. Sorry this happened, apparently the enclosure wasnt sufficiently secured, or the feeding/opening of container allowed the escapes? Or were the air-vent holes big enough to allow the escapes thru them? All of us would agree a good deal of proper planning needs to be done before doing a breeding ---- sufficient properly-sized sling enclosures beforehand, knowing sling-capturing/moving procedure, proper enclosure setup. I hope you catch most of them, and it turns out ok for you and the family.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about the LP wondercave.

Remember it goes down to -20 celcius where this occured, so tehere isn't any danger of breeding outoor. I doubt the basement of a single isolated house could
hold enough biomasse to sustain several adults. If it is so poorly made that vermin can sneak in at any time, then it would be too cold to have those spider to thrive and grow. My estimates would be that he'll either ends with a handful of adults (if well insulated) or a bunch of eternal spiderlings (if not)

But I'd love to visit that house and monitor how those little brats would develop!!!!!;)

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
these OBT's don't just die. a friend of mine told me about some one who had a bunch in deli cups and one fell behind ther couch and they didn't know well it was there for 6 months before they found it and it was still alive with 2 molts in with it these thing are like Jason and dangit I love them.

P.s why did you breed these if you did not know what you where getting into
OK THAT WOULD SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME!!! HOW BIG WAS THAT DELIT CUP???? :eek: GEESH and does anyone move their sofa around to clean anymore??? Ok that is some really freaky s*** to me. LOL OK I so don't want an OBT but man I would stay up looking for one of my T's that escaped. **Knock on wood** hope it never happens to me!! :wall:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer

Remember it goes down to -20 celcius where this occured, so tehere isn't any danger of breeding outoor. I doubt the basement of a single isolated house could
hold enough biomasse to sustain several adults. If it is so poorly made that vermin can sneak in at any time, then it would be too cold to have those spider to thrive and grow. My estimates would be that he'll either ends with a handful of adults (if well insulated) or a bunch of eternal spiderlings (if not)

But I'd love to visit that house and monitor how those little brats would develop!!!!!;)
Same here.
I don;t worry about any of mine becoming invasive where I live either :)
But I lock up the cages fine.

With that said..
I just had a P. murinus sac as well.
I thought the females ate it (had a funny bolas) and the sac was no longer visible.

then one day there were loads of small spiders roaming her burrow.
The escapes aren't a surprise to me, as the vent holes on an adults cage are much larger than a small 1st instar.

GOOD LUCK

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Hehe, if it were me, I'd buy crickets a few hundred at a time and release them down the steps. I'd never go down into the basement again, but I'd feed them.