Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

US Mystery Boxes?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Tia B, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon

Advertisement
    Just out of curiosity, are there any online tarantula sellers based in the US who offer mystery boxes? Not particularly interested in buying one, I just noticed that all the mystery boxes I've seen are UK based.

2. grumpycow3

grumpycow3 Arachnosquire

we get the mystery part from sherlock holmes

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Nonnack

Nonnack Arachnoknight

I don't know about the US, but there are also 2 Polish sellers for EU that make mystery boxes, spidersonline.pl and spidersworld.eu. Never ordered it but from what I have seen in unpacking videos its very nice, you get many spiders that are worth more then price of package. Also you have some options, like beginner box, advanced box, terrestrial box etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

in a way iv received similar in both T's and reptiles but its usually not so much a planned thing lol usualy more of a "i have an arboreal i think youd like for $10 more" 'sold' lol...

but i have gotten a few from Ken that come off as just supplies and both times i got a 2i.. dont think he does it all that often tho

5. Swoop

Swoop Arachnosquire

I get my 'mystery box' spiders from Craigslist and facebook.

One time I was supposed to get 6" P. irminia and 5" N. chromatus. What I got was a 6" P. cambridgei and what I think is a 5" N. carapoensis.

For $30 total I wasn't too disappointed :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

Ken the bug guy does. Its called a tarantula grab bag. I was thinking about getting one but never did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

I don't know about the U.S, here in Europe (Poland, England mostly) is normal, but I'm against that practice, for three reasons, mostly.

1) There's the chance that, a beginner, or someone not interested at all (for various reasons) into OW's, ends with those (besides, a lot of OW's slings are cheap, more than certain NW T's).

2) The receiver, not knowing what's inside (if not, which kind of 'Mistery' could be?) can't prepare, prior, the set up (like I suggest to do, always, especially in regards of T's that needs more humidity for thrive).

3) T's are noble animals, natural born predators, they need respect, and not to be considered like a vulgar '3 X 2' supermarket item.

Last but not least, the % chances to receive a potentially Goddess*, inside the 'Mistery Box', are low :pompous:

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon

I agree that there are a lot of potential problems with a mystery box, but I think if a mystery box involved slings (many have generally similar care requirements) and/or included habitat/supplies, the preparation part wouldn't be as much of an issue. Granted, a species that requires more humidity would still pose a slight problem in setup.

I'm not saying that mystery boxes should be a thing, nor am I saying that I'm going to buy one. I'm just commenting on the fact that they usually seem to be offered by UK/EU sellers.

• Love Love x 1
  9. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Yes I know what you mean, Lady :)

I just 'grabbed' your thread for state my view about, ih ih ih :kiss: :angelic: no 'fence.

Happens, anyway, because here in Europe we are D.D = Deranged Decadents. A lot :pompous:

:troll:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vandertern

Vandertern Arachnopeon

This!
    Mystery boxes to me seemed almost tasteless and I always assumed the practice contributes to the kinda pokemon-ish 'gotta catch'em all' culture that seems to be common in certain hobbies, not just arachnids.

I'm not at all critising people with large collections or even people who buy mystery boxes, but there are people who buy animals just because they 'HAVE' to have them regardless of their experience or equipment, and I'm only guessing that the marketing hype and gamble of a "mystery box" appeals directly to that sort of person more often than it would appeal to an ethical keeper.

Edit: I've never read the small print but what if the mystery is that the box is empty :troll:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. johnny quango

johnny quango Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Here in the uk if you're interested and comfortable with old world then it's not a problem, if on the other hand you aren't then you can state to the vendor and you get an appropriate box of new worlds that are for the most part beginner friendly the only thing you can't specify is the species of new worlds so it'll still be a mystery

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon

"Let's see what's in the box!....Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Stupid! You so stupid!" XD

Lol, sorry I had to say it but I doubt anyone will even get that reference.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

Wheel of Fish!

Ah! Red snapper! Very tasty!

• Award Award x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kayis

Kayis Arachnopeon

While it sounds some what "fun" to try something like this out....I'd have to pass on purchasing anything live in a "mystery box"...go buy an ebay mystery box :banghead:

15. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

I decided to clarify the above exchange for those less enlightened that us...

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Some US vendors do it. In fact theres a dude that operated "twisted silk inverts" that just did 3 categories of mystery boxes.. terrestrial, arboreal, and a mix.
    For 100$

I dont know what was in them, but i know the arboreal contained Pmetallica

This isnt a review or recommendation, just letting you know theyre out there

17. mack1855

mack1855 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Here's you mystery box.!!.Enjoy.
    WAIT, you sent 3 MM LP,s???:bigtears:.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Nonnack

Nonnack Arachnoknight

This boxes aren't for everybody. I personally wouldn't order it because I carefully choose Ts that I want to have (but still sometimes get freebies, and so far it was always something nice). But I never heard about someone who ordered it and was disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.