US Dealer Involved in Smuggling revealed in court documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First things first, Read this, and remember it !!

Over priced T's and such, but PB's are at a low price ?? illegal imprtation = able to. Over priced specamins as put so nicely, done by the book so cant go as cheap.

Has anyone ever thought "hmm, the country is struggling, and prices are rising in all industrys", meaning everything gets higher in price, and if they didnt, what do you think would happen ?,... DONT blame the dealers, blame your government !! If they didnt pay up to the governments, then you will get DONE BIG TIME for it, avoiding taxes and VAT charges and so on, would be a grave error, so STOP WITH THE HATING OF THE PRICES FROM OTHER DEALERS WHEN IT IS CLEARLY NOT THERE FAULT !!

as for sven's thread, did he lie NO, he took it, did you not read what PB said, he blamed everyone but him self, then you come along and say, why wernt the sven thread this bad.... Well lets see,

A) he got his fair share of stick for it.

B) PB would have been the same if he just held his hands up to it, but no he insisted that it is the dealers faults and our fault as a general community of hobbyists, then goes onto trying to justify him self with the whole "i am a stressed man, Forgive me" urm no, stress doesnt cut. Is he making profit from it, i bet you he is, he under cuts because there illegal, he sells for cheap prices, enough to pay of his taxes and so on, with a nice tidy profit on the side, like he said, he doesnt have staff but only one part timer.

So if thats the case, why the cruddy packageing jobs then ?, if he did have staff, still why a cruddy packing job ?, my 8 year old sister can pack a tarantula, you only have to show them its easy to do !!, no excuses so stop making them.

tiger cowboy

Arachnopeon
This is my one post for this thread. (I hope I don't jinx myself)

There has been a little discussion over the feds and which enforcement officers. I didn't read the whole legal document but I'm assuming since they keep calling Special Agent Whatisface "Special Agent" he's a special agent for the USFWS. This is very much their job. http://www.fws.gov/le/aboutle/special_agents.htm

Another poster brought up prices for Ts, especially well established species. I'd go to wikipedia and look up supply and demand. People can sell a bright shiny new species at high prices because supply is low and demand is high (Think P. metallica). If supply is high and demand is low, prices have to be lower or people won't buy it (B. vagans and OBTs come to mind). The taxes and fees and what have you add a significant amount of pressure lowering the supply side forcing prices up. Since Paul got around those he could offer lower prices. He very well might be able to offer somewhat lower prices anyways, but dodging fees and such certainly doesn't hurt. Pretty easy to understand.

Sorry if this is off topic and if most understood this. Reading some posts earlier made me want to bang my head on my desk. Repeatedly.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Man I do not want to live in a world where this is the prevailing attitude of people.

This kind of attitude encourages people to break laws and disregard the rules. If the buyer doesn't care where I get my animals and is only concerned with the price then why am I bothering to breed tarantulas? Why do I encourage friends to breed sacs? Why am I contacting other breeders to buy or trade for stock? Heck I can sneak over to Ken's place, break in and steal his spiders and sell them for 10 cents on the dollar.

Unbelievable.

I know for a fact that Paul isn't always the cheapest out there.
Your bothering to breed tarantulas to keep people from collecting them from the wild. Thats the reason behind any CB operation. Its devastating to the wild population and thats not what any of us want. No he isnt always the cheapest theres always gonna be someone selling a little of their collection that just wants to get rid of them and is selling them for cheap. All I was trying to get out of both of my post is that he is a great dealer to buy from with quality animals. My main concern is that they arent WC. But Im done posting on this thread sorry if I affended someone just wanted to give my 2 cents that I like Paul and to let everyone know he has been a great help to me many times. Yeah its dissappointing that he did this but everyone is human and like AC/DC said Money Talks!

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

im not saying what he did is right, and hopefully this ties as an example for paul, and those other following footsteps and what not. Im just saying if the man is still up and running, i'm assuming legally now with what happened and all...im gonna keep buying from him, his prices are untouchable, and his services are absolute. I just find it funny how most the people on here bashing him over and over are people that vendor (competitors). You've all said your piece, we've read the documents...why keep going?.
+++++11111

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This situation also brings to light how big the problem is within the hobby and will surely curtail illegal activity for a long time in the future. There will always be people trying to exploit animals for profit by collecting them in the wild.
Paul, thanks for posting. You've no doubt seen the discussion about whether "brown boxing" is common in the hobby or not. You might be in a better position than most to be able to give an informed answer to this question. Is it widespread?

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In the Koppler thread, Paul's posts a .pdf file with a invoice. Note that in one species listed, Pseudhapalopus sp. "blue", he paid $1.26 each one. On his site, he charges $59. That's a is a crazy profit and his recent post in the new thread that he never overcharges customers is just another big, fat lie.

Jose Berrios

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In the Koppler thread, Paul's posts a .pdf file with a invoice. Note that in one species listed, Pseudhapalopus sp. "blue", he paid $1.26 each one. On his site, he charges $59. That's a is a crazy profit and his recent post in the new thread that he never overcharges customers is just another big, fat lie.
Jose Berrios
Jose, you've got a real chip on your shoulder, and that's coming across loud and clear. To the point where your personal feud is larger than the real issues here.

Paul (or anyone else) can charge whatever they feel is right. The initial purchase price is one aspect of what may influence the final selling price, but there are other factors too. Shipping (even if you bypass the permits) costs money. Housing and maintenance costs money. In the example you list - are the spiders he paid $1.26 for the same ones that are on his current list? (I doubt it.) If they are, maybe they've grown a lot since he bought them. Maybe only a few of them survived shipping. Maybe the demand is high enough that he can sell them for more. Maybe these are being used to offset losses he took on other species that he bought. Lots of possibilities, so your accusations don't tell us much more than that you dislike Paul.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1889766#post1889766 He is putting out propoganda #2. No where does he apologize for trying to finger his competition due him trying to save his own ass. He is playing to the crowd. Leaving out a whole lot of details he doesn't want to admit. His justification of low prices is not correct. Not at all. Example: The first propaganda on the Koppler thread he posted an invoice with very low quantities. Now on this thread, he says he can offer low prices because he buys in 1,000 lots. Other than Lasiodora spp., that's not possible. Many problems with his 2nd propaganda post. He is clearly playing for the price is everything/I don't care if it's legal or not crowd.

Jose Berrios

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now on this thread, he says he can offer low prices because he buys in 1,000 lots. Other than Lasiodora spp., that's not possible.
Jose Berrios

HAHAHAHAHAHA, great move. So in order to buy slings, they have to be from the same batch????? Or even the same species? HAHAHAHAHAHA Good job.

paulatpetshop

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jose,
I guess you are still mad at me for not wanting to do business with you.. I had my reasons and you know what they are,but i will not reduce myself to throwing stones here...seems you are very willing to however..
OK.. so you want to knit pick.....i will explain.. the price for the pseudohapalopus sp. "blue" is only a 1.26 because there was a few d.o.a. from the previous import..All imported animals must be listed on the import documents and a price listed. Every animal must be acccounted for exactly. So,with that said..I was charged 1 euro=1.26usd for those spiders in order to make up for the loss.

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1)
2) I had a choice ,If I did not cooperate, then the problem of illegal importation would still be a major problem and I would be in jail… I wanted to help the situation , not contribute to making it worse.
Paul Becker
So what you're saying here is in all actuality you're a hero. Because of your actions the illegal importation of tarantulas isn't a major problem anymore. Well, why didn't we all recognize that in the beginning?

Please note the sarcasm.

paulatpetshop

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Question by Redneck,
:
It's unknown what the punishment will be at this time yet and I am not able to comment on what it will be at this time .

Someone said I was sarcastic and was calling myself a hero..? Im not trying to be anything here.. just wanted to explain the situation as best i could..

Maxrpm

Arachnopeon
As much bashing as Paul is getting for basically stiffing the government of money. Im starting to wonder if maybe Paul got narced on and it back fired because he his still in business and a major importer/exporter got busted got thrown in jail. Perhaps this major importer/exporter was also a major supplier for the person that narced. Now not only was the unintended target get his life jacked, the narc got a major interruption to their supply.

Not saying this happened but from the hostility i've been seeing it could very well be the reason.

The fact is he got busted for importing spiders illegally. Not importing illegal spiders. Everything else in this post is nonsense. Either accept his apology or dont.

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
So what you're saying here is in all actuality you're a hero. Because of your actions the illegal importation of tarantulas isn't a major problem anymore. Well, why didn't we all recognize that in the beginning?

Please note the sarcasm.
I think a good portion of us are taking alot of this thread out of context. As far as the above statement goes, all Paul was trying to say was that he tried to make the best of a bad situation he put himself in.

BillS: you seem to be one of the few level headed voices in this thread. + deuce:)

Earlier in this topic I scrutinized Paul for what he did and I still have those feelings, but when I see a certain dealer on here making post after post I wonder how much of this is "sour grapes"? Also that certain dealer won't get any of my business in the future due to his immaturity and unprofesional way of conducting himself.

Paul if you were to prove yourself for a few years to come I wouldn't mind doing business with you but until then I will seek alternative sources.
Peace

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

As much bashing as Paul is getting for basically stiffing the government of money. Im starting to wonder if maybe Paul got narced on and it back fired because he his still in business and a major importer/exporter got busted got thrown in jail. Perhaps this major importer/exporter was also a major supplier for the person that narced. Now not only was the unintended target get his life jacked, the narc got a major interruption to their supply.

Not saying this happened but from the hostility i've been seeing it could very well be the reason.

The fact is he got busted for importing spiders illegally. Not importing illegal spiders. Everything else in this post is nonsense. Either accept his apology or dont.
I can't say the thought has not crossed my mind. It's rather suspicous how agressive these other dealers are when it comes to paul. If Paul really is that bad for the hobby he will be pushed to the wayside eventually...
People need to take a chill pill or two around here. Some of us are acting like a bunch of damn beurocrats:wall:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jose,
I guess you are still mad at me for not wanting to do business with you.. I had my reasons and you know what they are,but i will not reduce myself to throwing stones here...seems you are very willing to however..
OK.. so you want to knit pick.....i will explain.. the price for the pseudohapalopus sp. "blue" is only a 1.26 because there was a few d.o.a. from the previous import..All imported animals must be listed on the import documents and a price listed. Every animal must be acccounted for exactly. So,with that said..I was charged 1 euro=1.26usd for those spiders in order to make up for the loss.
So if that's the case dont you think that's is why other dealers maybe doing the exact same thing as you are. You and your other friends are blaming other dealers for having high prices when you dont even know why they have them at that price! Oh gee, it's ok for you to have some of your spiders for that price but god forbid no one else is alowed to do so. And if I recall I was the one that refused to do business with you, I decided not to buy the spider from you.
Fran, still waiting for my list.

Organophosphate

Arachnopeon
I got caught doing something wrong…I had little choice but to try to make good on my behavior.
lets not get this twisted..I had not been charged when I made that post last week, My stock is legitimate(I have papers to prove it), everything I had received illegally was taken by the FWS . The shipments I received from Sven occurred a long time ago.. My prices today do not indicate anything with regards to smuggling.. Just a lower mark up…I truly care about this hobby and love the Pet Industry. That’s why I made the care tips..
I was desperate with nothing to lose and my back was against the wall.. Moms house in financial distress and cancer..coupled by depression I was not thinking straight.
The pet business is all I know.. Like I said earlier.. I did not file the correct importation documents. This was a mistake and I take full responsibility. I am also facing the the same charges as Sven .. I hope that I do not loose my freedom and hope to restart my life again…If you guys don’t want me around, then so be it.. I will move on to a new career. I feel like I have contributed to this hobby in a positive way by doing everything I have done regarding this case and in other areas and I admit my mistakes.
The best thing can do at this point is to admit to every one of my wrong doing . People make mistakes..I am one of them. This doesn’t mean that I am a bad person, Just Human. All my stock is legal today ,my permits are valid and your understanding of my situation is appreciated.
I am sorry about the situation,, I have learned from this.. The posting from last week that I put up was my true feelings…..I realize there is competition here and that’s a good thing, but to discredit based on hearsay is a little low.. I am awaiting the federal court decision as to weather I will be charged, (if so.. it will be similar to Svens charges).…That’s the reason why there is no proof about me .... I am a good animal keeper and it’s one of the few things I am good at.. Most everything else in my life has been a disaster… I find refuge working with animals. Again, I am sorry about everything. I don’t blame people for hating me or calling me names or not wanting to buy from me….but one thing for sure.. My stock is legal and very well inspected by customs and FWS .
I am signing off for the next few days so I can deal with this and get my head straight..If you have questions I will answer them as best I can by “e-mail” when I get back.
We all make mistakes. I think everyone needs to move on.

Looking forward to getting my T. blondi and M. robustum.....!!!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I get why people are angry with Paul. Flat out. It makes sense. If I was a dealer who had been playing buy all the rules and a member of the competition who had an unfair advantage got put in their place, I'd be thrilled. Flat out.

With that being said, this issue has been beat into the ground. I think that anyone who has gone though this entire thread at this point has their mind made up. The only outcome that I can foresee by continuing this thread in the direction that it has taken is one that is bad for the hobbyists. A big part of why this hobby has been great has been because of the community. A wedge is being created in the community. I have no doubt in my mind that if everyone who has participated in this thread were put into a ballroom, that there would be at least one fight. Flat out. What's going to happen when people go to the next ATS conference? I can tell you that its not a place that I'd want to be this year.

[YOUTUBE]_i6-d3IKfbw[/YOUTUBE]

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think a good portion of us are taking alot of this thread out of context. As far as the above statement goes, all Paul was trying to say was that he tried to make the best of a bad situation he put himself in.
MrEmojo, I understand what you're saying. The thing is the way he went about doing it. He turned in people that he had established friendships with and long time business partners. My question is what was his true motivation for doing it? Was he sincere in wanting to end illegal importation, which he himself was a major player, or was it to keep his tail out of jail.

The statement of Paul's that I quoted seems to suggest he wants folks to believe he did it for the good of the hobby. If he was so all fired up about ending illegal imports he could have just quit doing it himself.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

What's going to happen when people go to the next ATS conference? I can tell you that its not a place that I'd want to be this year.

[YOUTUBE]_i6-d3IKfbw[/YOUTUBE]
Seriously? You would miss the ATS conference because folks differing opinions about this? I can tell you right now a few folks may bring this up in private conversations but I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't going effect the conference at all. The hobby has some passionate people in it but it's focused on our love for inverts, not bashing each others skulls in over this.

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
MrEmojo, I understand what you're saying. The thing is the way he went about doing it. He turned in people that he had established friendships with and long time business partners. My question is what was his true motivation for doing it? Was he sincere in wanting to end illegal importation, which he himself was a major player, or was it to keep his tail out of jail.

The statement of Paul's that I quoted seems to suggest he wants folks to believe he did it for the good of the hobby. If he was so all fired up about ending illegal imports he could have just quit doing it himself.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Seriously? You would miss the ATS conference because folks differing opinions about this? I can tell you right now a few folks may bring this up in private conversations but I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't going effect the conference at all. The hobby has some passionate people in it but it's focused on our love for inverts, not bashing each others skulls in over this.
Don't get me wrong. I agree that Paul did some very unethical and illegal things , but we can't be bashing over and over again. there's just no possitive outcome for such behavior.
Peace everyone peace.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's going to happen when people go to the next ATS conference? I can tell you that its not a place that I'd want to be this year.

[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sure you won't find much disagreement on this topic by the ATS attendees.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure where you're getting that idea. I'll be at the conference. I've already swapped messages with Ken and am looking forward to seeing him there, along with Patrick and Anansis. Good people, and I'd be very surprised if this discussion affects the mood of the conference in any significant way. Perhaps you've never attended one of the conferences? There's always a lot going on, great people and a very friendly outgoing mood to the events. It's inconceivable that a petty argument or two on this board could derail that.

Status
Not open for further replies.