Urticating hairs

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
So just last night I was at a friends house taking pictures of some absolutely gorgeous Ts (TONS of pictures coming soon) when I got a bit too close to his T. Ockerti and got a direct hair kick to my face as I was taking a picture, my face was easily less than a foot away. We thought nothing of it, especially since I've had hair kicked at me a couple times with no reaction, so we carried on. 30-45 minutes later I started becoming very itchy in my eyes and on my face, but we had a lot of pictures to take so we continued. About 15 minutes after that, every inch of exposed skin became itchy, soon we wrapped everything up and I left. About 15 minutes into my drive home my lips became extreamly itchy, then my throat began to close up! Luckily it didn't get any worse, and when I got home I simply took a benadryl and went to sleep. All in all it was 100 percent worth the shots we got, I'm really excited to share with you guys. Has anyone had a similar reaction to hairs? Maybe even worse? Just trying to get the perfect shot? I'd love to hear your stories!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So just last night I was at a friends house taking pictures of some absolutely gorgeous Ts (TONS of pictures coming soon) when I got a bit too close to his T. Ockerti and got a direct hair kick to my face as I was taking a picture, my face was easily less than a foot away. We thought nothing of it, especially since I've had hair kicked at me a couple times with no reaction, so we carried on. 30-45 minutes later I started becoming very itchy in my eyes and on my face, but we had a lot of pictures to take so we continued. About 15 minutes after that, every inch of exposed skin became itchy, soon we wrapped everything up and I left. About 15 minutes into my drive home my lips became extreamly itchy, then my throat began to close up! Luckily it didn't get any worse, and when I got home I simply took a benadryl and went to sleep. All in all it was 100 percent worth the shots we got, I'm really excited to share with you guys. Has anyone had a similar reaction to hairs? Maybe even worse? Just trying to get the perfect shot? I'd love to hear your stories!
This is when the screen on digital cameras help. There is no need to get your face so close to the spider. The camera has to be close, sure, but why was your face that close? Using the screen rather than the viewfinder ensures that, at worst, you'll get setae on your hands and arms. I've gotten haired plenty of times trying to take pictures, but my face has never been anywhere near it.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
This is when the screen on digital cameras help. There is no need to get your face so close to the spider. The camera has to be close, sure, but why was your face that close? Using the screen rather than the viewfinder ensures that, at worst, you'll get setae on your hands and arms. I've gotten haired plenty of times trying to take pictures, but my face has never been anywhere near it.
I don't know exactly what it is with my camera but it takes pictures "different" if I don't use the viewfinder. Aside from that it was the first time I've had hair kicked at me in the middle of taking pictures, so I guess you could say lesson learned haha

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I don't know exactly what it is with my camera but it takes pictures "different" if I don't use the viewfinder. Aside from that it was the first time I've had hair kicked at me in the middle of taking pictures, so I guess you could say lesson learned haha
I know that the viewfinder does make a difference, but I'm not sure what that difference is. Perhaps @Trenor could shed some light there.

Personally, I'll just never use the viewfinder. I can't imagine getting some of those setae in my eye - I'd rather not get the picture than to have to deal with that.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I know that the viewfinder does make a difference, but I'm not sure what that difference is. Perhaps @Trenor could shed some light there.

Personally, I'll just never use the viewfinder. I can't imagine getting some of those setae in my eye - I'd rather not get the picture than to have to deal with that.
I'm fairly new to photography so it would be nice if someone could give any info. I completely understand where you're coming from, I personally don't really mind getting some hairs, or bitten ect. To me it was worth the pictures, and today I'm back to normal, like it never happened. So I would do it again, only difference is I'd have benadryl on hand next time

Darkskies

Arachnopeon
Urticating setae getting into your eyes is a major concern. See this link:http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...-dangerous-sometimes-yes-according-new-study/

"I am aware of similar cases involving colleagues working in the field. The urticating hairs of New World tarantulas are also a consideration; some years ago, a co-worker of mine required corneal surgery to remove those shed by a Red-Kneed Tarantula."

"According to the surgeon, tarantula hairs that work their way into the eye are extremely difficult, and in some cases impossible, to safely remove (in 2009, doctors were unable to remove the hairs of Chilean Rose-haired Tarantula from the eye of a victim in England)."

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Urticating setae getting into your eyes is a major concern. See this link:http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...-dangerous-sometimes-yes-according-new-study/

"I am aware of similar cases involving colleagues working in the field. The urticating hairs of New World tarantulas are also a consideration; some years ago, a co-worker of mine required corneal surgery to remove those shed by a Red-Kneed Tarantula."

"According to the surgeon, tarantula hairs that work their way into the eye are extremely difficult, and in some cases impossible, to safely remove (in 2009, doctors were unable to remove the hairs of Chilean Rose-haired Tarantula from the eye of a victim in England)."
Wow that's pretty serious. Thanks for sharing that, I'm gonna have to be quite a bit more careful next time, either using the screen to take pictures or I'll try to figure out a way to wear safety glasses without impeding how close I can get to the viewfinder.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, while indeed 'hairs' in the eyes are a serious issue, let's be real, now. It's a very remote scenario.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Try perfectly clear swimming goggle. Not the diving kind, these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zodaca-K...rk-Blue-with-Storage-Case-Ear-plugs/161779214
Awesome idea, those should let me get pretty close to the viewfinder.

Well, while indeed 'hairs' in the eyes are a serious issue, let's be real, now. It's a very remote scenario.
I agree, it's not likely. But despite how low the chances can be I think it'd be best to take precaution.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All it takes is one time though. The eyes are the only exposed part of a human's central nervous system (fun fact). They cannot be replaced (fact).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did you flush out your eyes? If you didn't, you need to monitor your eyes and go to an ophthalmologist and have them examined with a slit scope, it's not worth the risk. The setae can get lodged in the eye.

I posted a link to a clinical case where the setae entered into the eyes.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Did you flush out your eyes? If you didn't, you need to monitor your eyes and go to an ophthalmologist and have them examined with a slit scope, it's not worth the risk. The setae can get lodged in the eye.
Yes I did, back to normal today. Not sure if I really got any hairs directly in my eyes but I washed them regardless.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes I did, back to normal today. Not sure if I really got any hairs directly in my eyes but I washed them regardless.
Ah good news there! It's up to you, but I wouldn't risk it. You could have one in there and never know it. You only get 2 eyes! ;)

What type of camera do you have??

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Ah good news there! It's up to you, but I wouldn't risk it. You could have one in there and never know it. You only get 2 eyes! ;)

What type of camera do you have??
I'll update you if I end up with an eye patch :jimlad:

I use a Nikon D-3300, hoping to get a macro lense soon, but the lense it came with has been serving me well

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Contact @papilio if you want macro work of Ts. He's the best I've ever seen. Here's his site, with pics of his gear too https://www.flickr.com/photos/_papilio

He used to be a DSLR guy, till I suggested he go mirrorless!

Gear > https://www.flickr.com/photos/_papilio/27265838531/
Wow! Now those are the type of pictures I'd like to take. Thanks for the info.

I've only been taking pictures for a couple weeks now, so I'm waiting until I no longer have to use the automatic aperture and that kind of stuff until I get some nicer gear. But I got some really nice shots for @cold blood with what I do have

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow! Now those are the type of pictures I'd like to take. Thanks for the info.

I've only been taking pictures for a couple weeks now, so I'm waiting until I no longer have to use the automatic aperture and that kind of stuff until I get some nicer gear. But I got some really nice shots for @cold blood with what I do have
He uses more than a camera. He does a lot of stacking too along w/the requisite post image processing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I only use the viewfinder when taking photos with my canon 5d. The problem you're hitting is with the lens you're using you have to get too close. I use a 100MM micro lens on my canon and it allows me to take close up micro shots without getting too close to the T. This helps with lighting and keeps me back enough the T usually doesn't get spooked or kick hairs.

Remember, you can always take shots farther back and crop them to get closer. Most cameras today are pretty high megapixels which will allow them to be cropped a lot without losing a lot of resolution. Take them farther back and then crop using software till you can get a longer macro lens.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The other thing some people may not realize in photography is that you will get a more in-focus shot when using the viewfinder (camera against your face) vs holding camera and looking at the screen generally speaking. This is of course assuming you are not using a tripod, then it doesn't matter.