Urticating hairs

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay so I know OW doesn't have any. That's a no brainer, but what are the species of NW beside Psalmopoeus that lacks them? Or species that have odd u-hair characteristics? (Such as Ephebopus having them on the palps.)

Urticating hairs of tarantulas
OW - Lack u-hairs

NW that lack u-hairs:
Psalmopoeus
Tapinauchenius
Hemiercus
Holothele
Oligoxystre
Proshapalopus
Pseudoligoxystre
Sickius

Other:
Ephebopus (U-hairs on pedipalps)

I want to make a page on urticating hairs for my website.

Thanks

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius
Ahh... Forgot that one. Thank you.

I'm also looking for species within a genus that lack, not just a complete genus.

Do A. versicolor kick? I have heard they can and also that they can't. Also any other avics that can kick.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holothele lack U- hairs

And yes, A. versicolors do and will kick hair. I had a male sent to me that was a mad kicker!

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

All members of the subfamily Ischnocolinae lack urticating hairs

Hemiercus
Holothele
Oligoxystre
Proshapalopus
Pseudoligoxystre
Sickius

Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus lack them too

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Type II urticating hairs are found in Avicularia, Iridopelma and Pachistopelma. Type I, III, IV and VI urticating hairs are found in the Theraphosinae subfamily. Type VI was described from Hemirrhagus cervinus by Pérez-Miles (1998). Type V urticating hairs are found on the prolateral surface of the pedipalpal femur in Ephebopus. In the Theraphosinae subfamily, there are species which have two different types of urticating hairs; there are also examples where within a species, one sex has two, and the other has only one type of urticating hair. Let me know if you need more details (like specific examples) and references.

Also:
This is a common misbelief. In fact, there are other NW genera besides Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius without urticating hairs: Acanthopelma, Catumiri, Guyruita, Hemiercus, Holothele, Oligoxystre, Schismatothele, Sickius and the species Ischnocolus rubropilosus.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Why has nobody mentioned B. boehmei along with Ephebopus? They are one if the few that have urticating on the pedipalps. Arent theses similar to the Ephobopus sp. or are they a different hair type? I do realize they have U-hairs on the abdomen along with others.

EDIT: I stand corrected. B. boehmei has stridulating organs. Thye don't posses urticating hairs on the pedipalps but make a loud hissing noise with these stridulating organs.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Why has nobody mentioned B. boehmei along with Ephebopus? They are one if the few that have urticating on the pedipalps. Arent theses similar to the Ephobopus sp. or are they a different type?
B. boehmei doesn't have urticating hairs on the pedipalps as far as I'm aware.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Why has nobody mentioned B. boehmei along with Ephebopus? They are one if the few that have urticating on the pedipalps. Arent theses similar to the Ephobopus sp. or are they a different type? I do realize they have U-hairs on the abdomen along with others.
B boehmei's have urticating hairs on their pedipalps? thats kinda interesting i have 2 boehmei's and didn't know that

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
B boehmei's have urticating hairs on their pedipalps? thats kinda interesting i have 2 boehmei's and didn't know that
(pulls foot from mouth) {D

They do not have U-hairs on the pedipalps. I was mistaken. Please refer to my above post.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why has nobody mentioned B. boehmei along with Ephebopus? They are one if the few that have urticating on the pedipalps. Arent theses similar to the Ephobopus sp. or are they a different hair type? I do realize they have U-hairs on the abdomen along with others.

EDIT: I stand corrected. B. boehmei has stridulating organs. Thye don't posses urticating hairs on the pedipalps but make a loud hissing noise with these stridulating organs.

They do? I have two B. boehmei and I have never heard them do this. Is this for mating only?

Do other brackys have stridulating organs? Where are they located? Should I make this a seperate thread? ;)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Zoltan. Great info.

I was also wondering about mirror patches. What spiders have them? I know:
Paraphysa
Euathlus
Cyriocosmus (Do their patches count?)
A. versicolor

Arachnopeon
I just got my Oligoxystre diamantinensis, and noticed that it has a big bald spot on her abdomen. Arent from urticating hairs?