Urticating hairs on Baby!?

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I wouldn’t with a baby. They are so sensitive. My daughter broke out in hives because of our laundry soap when she was a baby. I’d put them literally anywhere else if possible, until your son is in another room.

I don’t even keep old worlds because I have children. I’m probably a lot more cautious than some people and that’s okay. For me personally it’s not worth it.

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't put the baby in the same room for one simple reason. If your baby gets hairs on it, especially in it's eyes. He can't say "Hay, dad. Got something in my eye." Which means, it's a guessing game until you figure it out by which time there could be permanent damage. Not to mention babies have always got their hands and fingers all over their face and eyes. It's better to be safe than sorry.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
If you insist in keeping spiders in a baby room then just get an air purifier. CFM should be stupid high when you are diddling the spiders. If you are lazy then just aim a high speed fan at the open window. Clearly by now your infant doesn't have an anaphylactic response to urticating hairs. Baby is gonna cry with hairs in its eyes and without. It's pretty weird to delegate a room to hair flicking spiders and an infant. We will try to give you the best layout, but that's a tough call dude.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I wouldn’t worry about the hairs, most people think about it being a venomous spider in the same room as a small child. I wouldn’t worry but I would just make sure it definitely can’t get out. I kept mine in my room along with other invertebrates.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hi guys,

Joined to ask this question:
Keeping various NW T's in my bedroom where me, wife and 8 month old baby boy sleep. Getting a GBB juvi tomorrow, and housing it in a Exo Terra Faunarium, which has plenty of breathing holes in the top. I worry that if it flicks hairs, or I disturb hairs during water change, that they'll float out, and reach my son who's cot is maybe 4ft away?

Any advice? Don't really have anywhere better to keep them! Picture included!

Thanks
You've received advice on both sides of the spectrum. The question here is what is more important to you, your baby or your want?

Things will probably be fine but there are the risk as some members have already stated.

There's also another option if you're dead set on keeping it now that it is on it's way. You can keep it in the bathroom.

Although many people have exotic pets and babies and never have an issue there are a few that do.

Like in my state quite sometime ago when a person's huge Burmese python escaped and killed their baby.

New laws were passed and now snakes over 9ft in length are illegal to own here.

Yes obviously a tarantula cannot eat a baby. Accidents are possible and new laws are not needed.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If the baby is moving to its own room within a few weeks, like you stated, I would just put the spiders in the kitchen or in the bathroom when doing maintenance or rehouses.

Keeping spiders in the same room as a baby makes me nervous, but that's just my mommy instinct kicking in I guess.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Yet again, thanks for all the replies. I think I'll move/sell it if I ever see it kicking hairs... I heard thie GBB was a relatively docile species, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one! My bad for being impatient .

HOWEVER, if GBB doesn't kick hairs, but simply lays a few 'land mines' in its enclosure, assuming I'm gentle with maintenance and care, which I'll do in a seperate room/outside, then it should lower the chances of any U-hair incidents, right?

Thanks again!

Also, I've had a G. Pulchra Juvie for several weeks now, and none of us have had any reaction to her hairs, which is also why I went ahead with ordering the GBB...

If I was to relocate my T's, they'd end up in my store room with no ventilation, no natural light, and a dehumidifier (to keep the mould away, which we've had in the past) - is that an option? I hear T's are hardy, so surely they'd survive in that room if I left a low energy light on during the day when I check them?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Also, I've had a G. Pulchra Juvie for several weeks now, and none of us have had any reaction to her hairs, which is also why I went ahead with ordering the GBB...

If I was to relocate my T's, they'd end up in my store room with no ventilation, no natural light, and a dehumidifier (to keep the mould away, which we've had in the past) - is that an option? I hear T's are hardy, so surely they'd survive in that room if I left a low energy light on during the day when I check them?
Unfortunately, there are different types of u-hairs, GBB having one of the more irritant types.

You could move your spiders to the storage room, if it's warm enough and if you open the door at least twice a day to let the air circulate a bit.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Personally, If I have any doubts about safety then always air on the side of safety. I wouldn't keep them in the same room that my infant sleeps in. But I tend to be overly cautious.
I keep my collection on high shelves in a walk-in closet in my bedroom. Whenever I need to do maintenance they all go out to the kitchen table, maintenance gets done, everything gets wiped down and they go back.
Just find a system that works for you.

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’ve kept my New World T’s in my bedroom for years and use an air purifier—never had any issues and I’m a highly sensitive individual with allergies. However, I’d be uncomfortable keeping an infant in the same room— overly cautious without a doubt.

I also would LOVE to keep pokies but won’t bc my husband has CHF and I have small dogs.

Insects Glorify God

Arachnopeon
put the T into another room until it is grown enough to be put into a glass enclosure.

- would a glass enclosure really make a difference in containing any wayward hairs? I was considering laying a breathable blanket over the top of the mesh holes on the top of my faunarium in the meantime - would that absorb any hairs? I assume it wouldn't affect GBB much have a slight restriction on air flow for the time being.

Yet again, seems silly, but it was my wife's idea to put them in our room lol I've been asking for a T for years now and she finally gave way. "Strike while the iron's hot" is the expression I think!
:wacky:
You mentioned your son will move out of your room soon. I would just be extra careful until that time. After all, urticating hairs are always best with extra caution, right? ;-)

I personally would avoid using a breathable blanket to cover the top of your T enclosure. I would be afraid that your T might get it's feet stuck in it.

At about 7 min. in, Richard talks briefly about the screen/mesh lids and the risks.

Good luck!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
You mentioned your son will move out of your room soon. I would just be extra careful until that time. After all, urticating hairs are always best with extra caution, right? ;-)

I personally would avoid using a breathable blanket to cover the top of your T enclosure. I would be afraid that your T might get it's feet stuck in it.

At about 7 min. in, Richard talks briefly about the screen/mesh lids and the risks.

Good luck!
Well finally someone tells me that! Thanks YouTube!