Urticating hairs on Baby!?

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,

Joined to ask this question:
Keeping various NW T's in my bedroom where me, wife and 8 month old baby boy sleep. Getting a GBB juvi tomorrow, and housing it in a Exo Terra Faunarium, which has plenty of breathing holes in the top. I worry that if it flicks hairs, or I disturb hairs during water change, that they'll float out, and reach my son who's cot is maybe 4ft away?

Any advice? Don't really have anywhere better to keep them! Picture included!

Thanks

Attachments

8 legged

Arachnoprince
With a bit of brains and caution, nothing can happen, although I take the rule that a spider room is compulsory for small children!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You don't want my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum in that room, that's for sure :rofl:

Everytime I open for normal maintenance, hairs goes always everywhere. And mind, not because she particularly love to kicks those (she's always down under in the burrow, after all) but because she leaved/continue to leaves, as a sort of secondary, home-defense, those hairs on the substrate.

Annoying, itchy & red situation... By far, among my T's (and the ones I had, in the past) M. robustum setae are the ones I'm a bit sensible.

In my experience 'GBB's' aren't so kickers like often people say, definitely not the one I kept (and the one that, still today, I keep) but at the end, that always vary.

I think... Try, then see. Chances are that your specimen is like mine.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Any idea how big the U-hair 'clouds' get? I imagine them filling the room lol classic newbie paranoia I'm hoping... :geek:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Any idea how big the U-hair 'clouds' get? I imagine them filling the room lol classic newbie paranoia I'm hoping... :geek:
The ones of my M. robustum (post above) remains in that area, but of course when I need to 'touch' the substrate for cleaning, setae move just a bit (tongs to my hands etc, I don't wear gloves).

'GBB's' are T's that are (at least in my experience) more "web" than "hairs", especially when they have their personal 'luna park' made by fake leaves etc inside the enclosure :)

M. robustum, being a die harder NW fossorial, leaves the setae nonetheless for prevent/being alerted from predators - Of course said predators doesn't exist in my room, but smart :mooning: doesn't know she's in captivity, ih ih :pompous:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
In the end I see it this way: the chance of something happening is almost zero, but if something happens and parents have left their baby in the bedroom with a tarantula ... just tell the tabloids ... Baby with venomous monster spider in the bedroom! That just can't be good for the hobby...

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi guys,

Joined to ask this question:
Keeping various NW T's in my bedroom where me, wife and 8 month old baby boy sleep. Getting a GBB juvi tomorrow, and housing it in a Exo Terra Faunarium, which has plenty of breathing holes in the top. I worry that if it flicks hairs, or I disturb hairs during water change, that they'll float out, and reach my son who's cot is maybe 4ft away?

Any advice? Don't really have anywhere better to keep them! Picture included!

Thanks
Seems this is a question to ask BEFORE getting such a species.... :rolleyes:

Don't keep species with urticating setae.

Setae float out on air currents. I've had it happen numerous times in a room that is 10x10. Not a single T in my presence was observed to flick.

Good luck w/that choice! My GBBs are always quite flicky!

There are NW species w/out urticating setae.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't keep a baby in the spider room personally

Although I sleep in the same room I keep my spiders, so I'm not the pinnacle of safety either

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
JUST TO SAY - Baby will be going in his own room in the coming weeks, I'm aware it isn't ideal... but appreciate your honesty!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I’d personally wait if it was a concern. My gbb is creeping up on 3” from when I got it at .5” and has never kicked hairs, typically will bolt for safety when I go in. As you can see from other posts gbb‘s can go either way as far as willingness to kick hairs when they feel the need.

If you do get it just do the maintenance in another room and away from air drafts or moving air like fans/heaters and wash your hands afterwards. I keep my windows open most of the day, have not had any problems with hairs floating around.

Good luck with those water changes, I’ve given up and have been misting the web since it’s made it’s water dish inaccessible with webbing...any water I can get in there just wicks out. I’ll try again on the next rehouse, but it’s usually an uphill battle with these guys.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
If it's a concern, you could always just take the enclosures into your living room/bathroom to do maintenance and such there rather than open the enclosures in the room your baby is in.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Two of mine are in my bedroom mostly because I have hardly any space in my small place.

Hopefully some day that will not be the case.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok, you're worried for your offspring, but don't overthink it. If you really want to be secure, put the T into another room until it is grown enough to be put into a glass enclosure.

All my T's, including my AF GBB, are located in my bedroom and she's housed in a large critter keeper. Never had an issue with her urticating bristles.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I can’t see this as being the only option, unless you were only in a rented room. You could house them temporarily in a closet, or kitchen or living room, or the other room you plan on moving your kid into, until he moves there amd then move them back out.

my GBB isnt a hair kicker but on the off change something does happen I can’t imagine the wife being very pleased, if they could have been temporarily moved to another room.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
put the T into another room until it is grown enough to be put into a glass enclosure.

- would a glass enclosure really make a difference in containing any wayward hairs? I was considering laying a breathable blanket over the top of the mesh holes on the top of my faunarium in the meantime - would that absorb any hairs? I assume it wouldn't affect GBB much have a slight restriction on air flow for the time being.

Yet again, seems silly, but it was my wife's idea to put them in our room lol I've been asking for a T for years now and she finally gave way. "Strike while the iron's hot" is the expression I think!
:wacky: