urticating hairs on A. versicolor

cabey

Arachnopeon
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the versicolors have urticating hairs, but not the ability to kick them. Is this true? And if so what istheir means of delivering them?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, they can kick, they don't seem to very often. With all of my avics, the big thing is shooting poo. They do that a lot.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My avics love the poo shooting too. My vesicolor has never tried to kick hairs in my direction. It would rather run and hide.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually had my big female versi flick a big cloud of hair when i was photographing her last week. I was very surprised by it but i can say first hand that versi's have the hairs and know how to use it. I actually still have the white background i used for her pics with her hair all over it.

cabey

Arachnopeon
so is the "crap shoot" completely defensive or is this just how they expel waste?

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so is the "crap shoot" completely defensive or is this just how they expel waste?
Its a little of both i think. They usually do it while handling but ive seen them do it while just hanging out in their cages as well.

brandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can you post a pic of the kicked hairs? I have never seen a versi do this. My very first encounter with a T ever was a versicolor poop shoot. Chris from Krazy8's handed me the first T I ever held, and it proceeded to poop-cannon my shirt. I took that spider home and have been in love with versi's ever since!

:)

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never seen this paper myself but apparently A. versicolor is able to flick hairs.

BERTANI, R., T. BOSTON, Y. EVENOU & J. P. L. GUADANUCCI (2003). Release of urticating hairs by Avicularia versicolor (Walckenaer, 1837) (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society 12 (9): 395-398.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
What avics seem more prone to do with their hair is to rub them in to what/whom touches them.

cabey

Arachnopeon
arachnoboards rocks! thanks for all the info guys. I'm glad I found this place.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All Avicularia spp. has urticating bristles (hairs) but Avicularia versicolor the one which is known to kick em being disturbed as well as to bite easily too.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the versicolors have urticating hairs, but not the ability to kick them. Is this true? And if so what istheir means of delivering them?

All Avics have urticating hairs, what sets versicolor apart is being to kick them off (like terrestrial T's), rather them simply press them into you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All Avics have urticating hairs, what sets versicolor apart is being to kick them off (like terrestrial T's), rather them simply press them into you.
Hmmm but surely the other Avics are able to kick them too, but typically don't, right?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm but surely the other Avics are able to kick them too, but typically don't, right?
No they can't kick them. Only versicolor has the ability to kick them. Don't quote me on this, but I've read that most Avics have what are called "Type II" uricating hairs in that they can't be kicked off, but must be brushed against an attacker in which they break off, sort of like porcupine quills I suppose.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No they can't kick them. Only versicolor has the ability to kick them. Don't quote me on this, but I've read that most Avics have what are called "Type II" uricating hairs in that they can't be kicked off, but must be brushed against an attacker in which they break off, sort of like porcupine quills I suppose.
I've only seen urticating setae characterized by their morphology, not by the mechanism in which they are released. I have always been under the impression that all urticating setae are released from the T regardless of the species or the mechanism of release, and not broken off. I'd like to know more about this, esp if I'm wrong!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No, the other Avics push them in, which is a strange adaptation, the hairs are shaped differently because of it. They have to come in contact with their predator, negating most of the advantages of urticating hairs (being able to use them from a distance). Obviously there's an evolutionary reason for it.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, the other Avics push them in, which is a strange adaptation, the hairs are shapred differently because of it. They have to come in contact with their predator, negating most of the advantages of urticating hairs (being to use them from a distance). Obviously there's an evolutionary reason for it.
I see, thanks guys.