Urticating hairs and slings

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have 7 slings of different species, most under 2 inches or so. They are all Brachypelma or Aphonopelma species. I know that they both have urticating hairs. My question is when do the urticating hairs start to develop and when do they start using them as a defense? I know this will depend on size, age, species, etc. but just wanted a general guide line of what to expect.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If your slings have hair at all, they also have the urticating hairs. It all developes at the same time. All T's, mature and slings, will go through the motions of rubbing off the hairs wether they are there or not. You can expect to see traces of hair start to develope at the third instar, I believe, and getting thicker from there. A few molts later it'll be covered with hairs.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had even tiny little slings kick at me. I agree with the above, it they have hair, they have hair and can use it. And they would have to have them at the size you mentioned.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Definitely have hair on the larger of the slings. I just haven't seen any "rubbing" or "flicking" behavior. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. I don't handle them or really bother them any more than need be though. Thanks for the info.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they do have hair, but i find that the smaller ones dont really affect me, I dont know if thats just me or if thats a general rule of thumb. Though I still wear gloves with the worse ones, even tiny versions, I dont even go near my blondi without some sort of protective gear on, and hes only 2"

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 1/4" N. chromatus loves flicking hairs at me. I just sit there & laugh at it {D