urticating hairs and asthma?

matija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi,

is there any article about this? can people with asthma have more problems by inhalating urticating hairs than a healthy person?

thanks
Matija

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think we've had a bunch of threads on the topic, and I'm pretty sure I remember a lot of good scientific info being posted. :) I suggest using the board search, it'll probably answer your question a dozen times over.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would search but the short answer is that i don't think too many people with moderate to severe asthma were affected too much, initially

i have mod-sev asthma and play with all kinds of bugs and haven't really noticed any affects. of course, my baseline is insane cuz i smoke cigs and get stung by various local and exotic arthropods quite a bit... in addition to most of the local plants messing me up pretty good

i would not be surprised if the affects grow to be noticeable and then bad over time, though

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also have asthma and have not noticed any trouble with it.

If anything; using your inhaler could help the situation. By easing the histamine response, and preventing contriction of the airways. It could also provide a localized numbing of the affected area.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... can people with asthma have more problems by inhalating urticating hairs than a healthy person? ...
Probably not. The urticating bristles are too large to get far enough down the airways to trigger the asthma response.

However, having said that, it's important to know that we still don't know exactly what asthma really is. In fact, it may actually be several diseases that all look alike because they all effect the same tissues. And, sooner or later we're going to find someone, some place who does suffer asthma attacks from urticating bristles. Life's just that way. If so, such people would be extremely rare however.

I'd be a lot more concerned about getting them in my eyes.

matija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thank you all :) , i'll try to search the forum...