Urticating hair information

fried rice

Arachnoknight
So right now I have a dolichothele diamantinensis sling, but I want to expand my collection. The problem is that I have 3 cats and a small dog. My dog is 8 pounds, and she loves to sniff the ground and eat things off of the ground. I’m worried that she will be sniffing the ground in the same room with my tarantulas and get urticating hairs in her nose and lungs. Has anything happened to your pets or family from urticating hair?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You shouldn’t have an issue. Dog would need more contact with the T for it to be an issue.

fried rice

Arachnoknight
You shouldn’t have an issue. Dog would need more contact with the T for it to be an issue.
Thanks! I thought I would need to wait until I move out to get a tarantula. Now I just need a safe place to keep my tarantulas away from my cats.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thanks! I thought I would need to wait until I move out to get a tarantula. Now I just need a safe place to keep my tarantulas away from my cats.
Yeah, the cats are going to be your biggest concern. They can and they will mess your T’s world up if given the opportunity.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
They can and they will mess your T’s world up if given the opportunity.
Depends on the cat. Before I had a dedicated T room my cat would sometimes sleep on a shelf behind some of the enclosures. She would sometime watch them they move but would quickly get bored, probably because they didn't move fast. Now if I kept rodents or birds, that would be a different story.