Urticating hair in eye?

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
So when feeding my B. albiceps today, she kicked a cloud of hairs and unfortunately my face was pretty close.

Strangely my hands were closest and no reaction at all.

I immediatly took a shower, and rinsed my eyes repeatedly. They are a little irritated but since i suffer from dry eyes, not surprising. My shoulders and arms were bare, no reaction.

I looked into the mirror and i saw a tiny black thing on my cornea. I freaked and went to the ER, standing outside as im typing this.

Doctor numbed my eye en swabbed it with a q tip. He also used dye which reacts with UV light but he saw nothing particular aside from the whole cornea being lightly damaged (he asked if i rubbed my eyes a lot).

Tldr: b. albo kicked about 0,5meters from me, eyes slightly irritated, but no redness, no stinging sensation and no watery eyes. Did i dodge a bullet here?

Also question for the people unfortunate enough to get them in your eyes, were the effects immediate? What were the effects?

This could possibly be me freaking out due to the combination of t kicking, my having dry eyes and reacting slightly hypochondriac.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
So when feeding my B. albiceps today, she kicked a cloud of hairs and unfortunately my face was pretty close.

Strangely my hands were closest and no reaction at all.

I immediatly took a shower, and rinsed my eyes repeatedly. They are a little irritated but since i suffer from dry eyes, not surprising. My shoulders and arms were bare, no reaction.

I looked into the mirror and i saw a tiny black thing on my cornea. I freaked and went to the ER, standing outside as im typing this.

Doctor numbed my eye en swabbed it with a q tip. He also used dye which reacts with UV light but he saw nothing particular aside from the whole cornea being lightly damaged (he asked if i rubbed my eyes a lot).

Tldr: b. albo kicked about 0,5meters from me, eyes slightly irritated, but no redness, no stinging sensation and no watery eyes. Did i dodge a bullet here?

Also question for the people unfortunate enough to get them in your eyes, were the effects immediate? What were the effects?

This could possibly be me freaking out due to the combination of t kicking, my having dry eyes and reacting slightly hypochondriac.
Brachy hairs can be bad, hell any T that kicks clouds can be bad, especially when kicked into eyes.

You are rather safe than sorry. If you feel you needed to go to ER then you were probably best doing so to be safe.

I have a friend who was lucky not to lose his eye after a strimi kicked a decent ammount into his eyes. He was in a fair amount of discomfort and could barely take his hand away from his eye. After it happened, maybe 10 mins, his eye was blood red and couldnt see any white. It was a trip to ER for him too. They gave him a flush, dye check and some drops for use at home. The red eye stayed for over a month.

I'm sure there are many members on here that can give you their personal accounts in said situation though.

Some react to hairs different than others. I have been kicked at by more than a fair share of Brachys and have felt nothing thus far (touch wood).

On the other hand I have a T. ockerti that made my hands itch for almost 3 weeks.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My A. geniculata is a notorious hair kicker since it's last two molts and I've received my share of hairy situations. One time it kicked a puff into the air that seemingly disappeared, I took a step back to let it clear and went back to fill the dish and noticed an itchy burning sensation in my left eye. Rinsed it out over and over and the irritation slowly went away after a few minutes of rinsing. If she hit me anywhere on my skin I'd be irritated for hours though.

Now, I take more caution when dealing with her. Gloves, long sleeves and move away until the kickery has settled. I hate hairs. One of the biggest reasons I like OWs more.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've never had any hairs on me other then my hands and arms so I've no experience with this. From getting fine sand in my eyes, I would imagine if you got hairs in there it would be very noticeable pain/discomfort from it. Even if you didn't react to them on the rest of your body. Eyes are very sensitive and it doesn't take much for them to let you know things are wrong.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
yeah I imagine the effects will be felt soon after, with swelling and redness. I have neither yet my eyes feel slightly irritated, small burning sensation, but I have been diagnosed with having dry eyes.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
yeah I imagine the effects will be felt soon after, with swelling and redness. I have neither yet my eyes feel slightly irritated, small burning sensation, but I have been diagnosed with having dry eyes.
I'd take that as a good sign. Be careful with those eyes.

Glad to heart your doing well. :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've heard of many people using face masks or safety glasses (@Poec54 ). I wear glasses and while I can't definitively say they prevented something, I haven't had any in my eyes from kicking.

I had some bad swelling of my eyes about a week after digging around a molt with my hands ( :banghead: ). Not sure if it was just coincidence or not, but I'm much more careful now!

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't ever mess around with your eyes. I have caught a stray hair, and soldiered through it. Not a wise choice though. It is hell.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hairs in the eyes (or if someone breath those) are exactly IMO the only event where those can be an issue. Not saying now that's your case or what will happens of course.