Urticating hair bed

n9inchnails

Arachnopeon
The other day I cleaned my Brazilian blonde(Nhandu tripepii) cage and when I put it back it couldn't find its hide so it just started making a bed of web right in the open and when it was done it did something I have never seen or heard of it started kicking urticating hairs all over the bed and basically used all of its hair and covered the bed completely, then it turned over and started molting. I was wondering do these tarantulas always do that or did it just do it for extra protection because it was out in the open, has anyone else ever witnessed this behavior?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our NWs do this all the time. I think they'll even do this in their burrows...it's a way to protect themselves during the time when they're most vulnerable.

Cass

Lorum

Arachnosquire
It is common. I have personally seen my Brachypelma auratum doing exactly the same, but inside its burrow.

BTW, I don't think it is good to T's that you take them out of their enclosure when they are almost ready to molt. It's just my opinion.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our B. smithi does this prior to every molt.

What do you mean by cleaning?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, mine does that all the time too. One book I read called it a "molting mat". The webbing would keep any grit or substrate from sticking to the tarantulas moist, soft new exoskeleton. I think the bristles would be so that if anything comes sniffing around while it is in ecdysis, the sniffer would get a nosefull and not bother the vulnerable T. Sort of like when they kick them off around the mouth of their burrow. Though a book I read also said that the bristles may help with the molt itself, or help by rubbing any parasites off the T like barnacles off a ship.

Knight in Gale

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Hey

Well this happened to me as well but it happened to me with my g. pulchripes.
She did exactly what your T did. was quite interesting to see her do that.{D

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yup, perfectly normal{D
[YOUTUBE]IsBJaohdFwo[/YOUTUBE]

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Great vidlink HOBO. That is a very good illustration and the first I have seen in video form for B. smithi.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahaha, I love the music! Do de doo, going about my business...
Nice video.

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've sat and watched my N. coloratovillosus web on the walls and the ground all over her enclosure, and then kicked hair everywhere she had webbed. She wasn't in premolt, I guess it's just something they do. Nhandu hairs destroy me too. So needless to say, I don't go in her enclosure unless I absolutely have to.