Uromastyx

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I work at a pet store and have fallen in love with the two uromastyxs' that we have. My dad came into the store today and also fell in love, he didn't believe me about how cool they were till he got to hold one... sooo we might just have to get one.

I've been doing some research but would like any tips or info anyone here would have to offer.

Also what are some good prices for a young one? The two we have are adults and are about $120, we'd like to get a younger one and preferably at a lower price, heh. We're thinking of going to the NY reptile show in White Plains in July. And I know there are different species (the ones in the store are Mali), any opinions on others?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Uros are fantastic lizards... whether I've been biased by Mr. Tandoor or not!

I have a Saharan or Niger, "red phase" (I believe it's U. geyri or similar.. the spelling gets me ever'time). He's awesome!! Has a great personality and will curl up in my shirt and watch a movie or nuzzle my ear on occasion. (Be sure yours is very docile before attempting such... those darlin' chubby cheeks pack a fierce bite)

He resides in a 55g viv... still on paper, but has plenty of burrows and rocks, a few pieces of wood, etc. I'm planning to move him to ceramic tiles or slate bottoms very soon, but I want to upgrade the size of his viv beforehand.

He's under a heat source (on one end) and UVB that extends the length of his tank. His gradient is about 135-140F on the hot end and 90'ish on the cool end. The definitely like it hot! I turn his lights and heat off completely at night, allowing him to sleep peacefully.

He eats a 1/2 c. of freshly torn greens... dandelions, escarole, chicory, endive, etc. ..daily. I occasionally top his salad off with chopped red bell pepper, butternut or acorn squash, dandelion flowers, hibiscus or violas and very seldom... a little fruit.. VERY little. (a piece of mango, papaya, berries)

I make up a "bean mix" with various types... pintos, black, mung, navy or white, red, split green peas... and food process or coffee grind them to a coarse powder. I add to this mix, flax seeds, wheat berry, shelled millet and whole, shelled sunflower seeds. If the mung or dal beans are split, I add them whole cuz they are very small. This mix is available to him always and he rather enjoys it! You can hear him smacking and crunching all through the day. :)

All of his foods are from organic sources. I also dust his greens and bean mix with calcium and vitamins... every other feeding. (The choices I make for his diet are also very high in calcium and vitamins, hence the less supplementation)

He does not have a water dish. IMO, it would increase his humidity to dangerous levels for his species and be more harmful than good. He gets plenty of water from his diet... just like he would in the wild. I also spritz his salads to mimick "dew" and offer additional needed water.

He's camera shy, but I can try to get some pics of my baby if you like.

I got him in a trade, but his price was $90. He's appx. 10" total length, so still young... as the Niger's do not get as big as some of the others, like Egyptians. If I am ever able to make some space and get another, it will be a Mali... their black faces and yellow "bumble bee" backs are very pretty to me.

Good Luck!

~Aminah

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i got one for free. there are several species, i think the best is uromastyx aegypticus. thats what i have. if you want any advice, i keep mine in a 20 gallon tank (hes seven inches long.) and you should have at least two hides. i cant really tell you if a 20g is suitable for a adult uro, because i got mine as a "rescue" from my cousin.

feel free to pm me if you have questions. i'll try to help the best i can.

-K-TRAIN

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow Aneesas, thanks for all the info!

At the pet store we feed them various greens and some bird seed. We have water dishes, but one of them just fills it up with his substrate anyway (aspen pellets, seems to work ok. the other is on smooth green turf). I'll see about simply misting his food like you said.

What do you use as the heat source to get it that hot? From what you've said, they don't get enough heat at the pet store, but they do each have a hot basking light on one end.

We just love how they look almost like dinosaurs and are full of personality. We have a vegetable and herb garden at home so during the summer lots of fresh greens would always be available.

It'll probly be a while before we actually get one, still want to do more planning and considering... I have an empty 20 gallon tank that would be ok for a smaller one I guess? Until it outgrows it of course. I'm going to be needing a larger tank for my ball python soon, so I'll have an empty 40 gallon breeder tank.

And how long do they generally live?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
uros are really cool. almost the same personality as a bearded....sometimes they are actually funnier. i kept a trio in a enclosure i made(about 90 gallons)
and also very very hot. i found a basking spot of 140-150degrees works best for them. thats also a reason for a bigger tank so they can thermo-regulate properly. and lots of uv lighting. its very benificial. i had my mali's breed. and got a couple of good clutches out of them before i sold them.

any questions feel free to ask
moose

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow Aneesas, thanks for all the info!

At the pet store we feed them various greens and some bird seed. We have water dishes, but one of them just fills it up with his substrate anyway (aspen pellets, seems to work ok. the other is on smooth green turf). I'll see about simply misting his food like you said.

What do you use as the heat source to get it that hot? From what you've said, they don't get enough heat at the pet store, but they do each have a hot basking light on one end.

We just love how they look almost like dinosaurs and are full of personality. We have a vegetable and herb garden at home so during the summer lots of fresh greens would always be available.

It'll probly be a while before we actually get one, still want to do more planning and considering... I have an empty 20 gallon tank that would be ok for a smaller one I guess? Until it outgrows it of course. I'm going to be needing a larger tank for my ball python soon, so I'll have an empty 40 gallon breeder tank.

And how long do they generally live?

You're more than welcome! :)

I've been using a high wattage heat bulb.. I'd have to pull it out in the morning to see the brand and the watts... as I just turned it off and it's scorching. It's either 100 or 150, but not certain which.

As for age... I've read many conflicting claims... 20 years to 50, even. I am guessing it's more like 20, give or take, depending on proper husbandry and vet care.

~Aminah

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the link!

Now I have another question... the big female we have at the store is now periodically laying eggs. So far they have appeared wrinkled and obviously duds, but yesterday she laid one that appeared viable, at least at the start. We'll see how it does in the incubator...

She has not been bred with us, and I'm not sure how long we've had her, the pet store has been in business three months. I'll ask when I go into work today.

Can they retain sperm? Will they lay eggs even if they have not been bred?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not sure about the whole breeding scenario with the various Uros, but if you go to the deerfernfarms link and find the guy's email or # ...he'll know. I printed out the caresheet he has on his site when I first acquired my Uro, Tandoor. It's very thorough.

Tandoor's potential mate will come from him or one of his associates, as well.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, we did it! We got a male mali uromastyx for my brother today. He's such a cutie! Full of energy. Got a tank set up, 29 gallons with brown turf carpet type stuff on the bottom, big rock for basking on, two different sized half logs to hide under and a food dish. Got a 150 watt bulb, going to get a separate bulb for UVB rays once they are ordered at the pet store. He's about 8 inches long so he seems like he'll be ok in this sized tank for a while, once I get/make a new cage for my ball python, he'll go into the 40 gallon she's in now.

His favorite food so far is dandelions, ate them right from our hands, hehe. Looove his face. Like a little dinosaur.

I'll take pictures soon!