Uromastyx pics

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is Erastus, the coolest new member of the family. We all love him, he's a bit hyper to handle but so much fun to feed. He gets all sorts of treats from the backyard... dandelions, buttercups, paintbrush flowers, cat mint flowers, lemon balm leaves, clover leaves, blueberry leaves, strawberry tops... added with veggies from the store and seeds all mixed in with his vitamins. He's a spoiled lil uromastyx.

Here is his setup... he'll get a bigger cage once he gets bigger but this 30 gallon seems ok for him for now. He makes a big mess, the brown liner makes it so easy to clean up after him! I have since removed the fancy log because it just got in his way.

Dandelions are his favorite food

Out for a short walk on a hot day

My all time favorite shot... munching on some really fresh flowers!

Just thought I'd share {D

A question though... are they supposed to be wrinkly or should he be more plump? I dont think he was fed enough at the pet store... he's got quite an appetite so I'm not worried about him getting up to par though.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehe yeah he's already looking better... he eats like a pig and loves taking things right out of our hands. It's really easy in the summer to get lots of fresh food for him, we'll have to be sure to buy enough veggies in the winter.

CaptainChaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I house my Uromastyx with much more sand, they really love to dig and re-decorate the place. They´re one of the best looking lizards in my opinion :)

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehe I bet he would love sand to dig around in, but my brother isn't too keen on cleaning, it's tough enough to get him to shake out the turf once in a while :rolleyes: Perhaps when we get him a bigger cage I'll get some of that excavator clay and some sand and go nuts making it look realistic.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cute little Uro.

Just one question - Does he have UV? Can't actually see a UV tube in the pic.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gorgeous little Uro, I really hope to aquire one of these in the future. Thanks for sharing.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is Erastus, the coolest new member of the family. We all love him, he's a bit hyper to handle but so much fun to feed. He gets all sorts of treats from the backyard... dandelions, buttercups, paintbrush flowers, cat mint flowers, lemon balm leaves, clover leaves, blueberry leaves, strawberry tops... added with veggies from the store and seeds all mixed in with his vitamins. He's a spoiled lil uromastyx.

Here is his setup... he'll get a bigger cage once he gets bigger but this 30 gallon seems ok for him for now. He makes a big mess, the brown liner makes it so easy to clean up after him! I have since removed the fancy log because it just got in his way.

Dandelions are his favorite food

Out for a short walk on a hot day

My all time favorite shot... munching on some really fresh flowers!

Just thought I'd share {D

A question though... are they supposed to be wrinkly or should he be more plump? I dont think he was fed enough at the pet store... he's got quite an appetite so I'm not worried about him getting up to par though.

thats a beautiful uro. how do you keep it from running away outside? lol. mines really fast so im afraid to let it outside.
to answer your question:
uromastyx do have some folds of skin, but if it seems to have too much, which case the body wouldnt be really solid, its too much. a little is normal. from your pics i think its alright. just keep feeding it and it'll get alittle fatter.

-k-train

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah he can be speedy, we have a big backyard so we took him out into the middle where he couldnt get away from us. He wasn't very happy outside... but he liked the dandelions.

As for the UV, I'm going to get him a bulb as soon as I can find one that also has UVB, because I believe that's what they need? I've only seen UVA bulbs at the pet store I work at. I think we got new bulbs in finally so he'll be set up with that soon.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Repti-Sun 10.0 is a good bulb for him. I use these on my Beardie and my Uro... and soon, on my Bluey ;) Just be sure to change them every few months... they don't last forever.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That picture of it munching the dandelion is absolutely priceless.