Uroctonus mordax

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I caught one of these around my house and was wondering what they are like in captivity. There is always gravid females around and I know they are communal so I was thinking about starting a colony. any pointers?

Carlos_W

Arachnopeon
I was givin one, but it died in a week, if you breed the one, can I get on you waitting list for a couple?

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I traded for 10 of them 2 years ago. I could never get them to feed. Awesome looking scorps though.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've kept a few...and did manage to get them to feed. I think one problem is that they need it moist as drying them out appears to kill them after some time.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have kept larger groups in a 10 gallon with a 2"-3" layer of coco-fiber bedding...lots of corkbark hidding places.... they did great. I kept kept them semi moist...sprayed the tank a few times a week.... they did awesome and I even had a few groups of babies produced! Mine all ate fine on small crickets.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I am going to try and breed them and if it does not work out I could always release them. Ya I guess you guys could get on the waiting list. These scorps seem to be very docile, they don't mind being handled. So how many could I have in a 5 gallon? Where i live the temps get in the low 80's in the summer down to the 30's in winter so I will try to mimic the outside conditions.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a little female that seems to like her damp coco fiber. She's dug a little burrow right against the side of her tank so I can see her. :D I've fed her a few crickets, and she took a mealworm last night.

WC juvenile found near Eugene, Oregon.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice photo, there seems to be a color difference in the species around where i live and the specimen you have. The ones where I live have lighter scheme to them.Do yours ever come out of their burrows? I have never seen one out here.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know -- the OSU's invert museum curator found it. I plan on taking a blacklight with me camping this summer and looking in / under rotting logs and woodland debris.

Edit: commenting on the color, it was photographed in bright background light and is still a juvenile. Its legs, chela, and metasoma are all slightly translucent in this photo.

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep 3 communally in a small show-off (3" potting soil/coco fiber/vermiculite mix, some bark and sticks, and a condiment cup full of water gel stuff that stays wet.) I started with 6, but only these 3 seemed to adjust. I've had them like this for almost a year now.

Pics tomorrow if you want...

martin