• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Uroctonus mordax

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Uroctonus mordax (Vaejovidae)

Size: Adult female, aprox. 2 inches.

I was insect and arachnid collecting in coastal forests of northern California. Among various arthropod specimens collected was a single female U. mordax. I handled her when doing maintenance in the enclosure. While handling I tried to coax her back into the enclosure by slightly tapping the segment below the telson. She defensively threw the telson back into the side of my thumb. The symptoms were itching and slight redness of the sting area for about 2 days.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
overview of 42 stings

-stung 42 times by assorted sexes and sizes. :eek:
-initial pain is a burning type level 3-5 on a scale of 1-10 5 being bumble bee. sometimes it dulls to nothing in a few minutes sometimes swellign occures and a sore burise developes at the sting site which heals into a gosh awful bump that peels. effects lasted 3-15 days depending.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Attempted to tail a female U. mordax that had her tail flat against the floor which meant it was hard to pick up. Definite burning sensation for a minute or two which faded soon after. Perhaps their stings are worse when they really are mad but I'd take this over a paper cut.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This afternoon I had a BugZoo presentation at an area middle school. I was handling an adult female and trying to scootch her onto a student's hand by nudging he from behind. She gave me a brief tail-flick before moving. I felt a slight prick similar to when my H. paucidens stung me, so I thought perhaps she connected.

After about a minute or two I felt a very slight tingling in the tip of the finger she stung. This passed after about five to ten minutes.

From the other reports I've read I expected something a bit more than this. It wasn't a dry sting, but it was close to it -- I'm guessing just the equivalent of a "warning shot."

I can say with certainty this was less painful than my H. paucidens sting.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Same female, similar circumstances -- tailing her out of a small tank for a demo.

Same effects.

Eventually I need to experience something more powerful than a warning shot.

web eviction

Arachnolord
I was out collecting a few U. mordax placing them in viles then into my pocket I came across a beautiful rattlesnake and wanted to get a picture as I was kneeled down adjusting a lot when I recieved 4 Sharp pokes on the top of my leg since I was near waste deep in sticker bushes I thought nothing of it til I got back to my rig and began pulling viles out of my pocket I then relized one had opened ! I pulled my pocket open and looked and the little devil was nice and snug between a twenty and a fifty Dollers bills lol I recieved 2 more stings to my finger getting her out but besides the initial stings no pain nor swelling followed is rather get stung by U. mordax then get poked with a needle any day lol....

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
received my first sting from a very fiesty little female a few days ago while putting a small plant in it's enclosure, she was on a slab of cork bark and i didn't even see her. felt a light prick on the knuckle of my right pinky finger, and aside from a bit of an itchy sensation, that was pretty much it. no pain, no real swelling..nothing.

Experiment397

Arachnopeon
Got stung by one of my females while cleaning my communal enclosure a few years ago when I was keeping them. Thought I had them all out of the tank to clean it and as soon as I picked up the water dish I felt a prick on my finger, she was laying flat along the side of the dish and I practically placed my finger across her back to pick up the dish. Pretty much the same as everyone has said. Slight itch and redness for about 15min and my finger was red for a few hours.