Uro keepers?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Folks,

I brought home my first Uromastyx last weekend... a U. geyri, aka. Saharan or Niger "red phase". He's about 10", but I have no idea of a definite age on him. He's gorgeous!! Even tame and calmly hangs out on my chest just like a Beardie (my own Beardie does this, too) :)

The day I brought him home, the reptile store owner Panacur'ed him (ie. treated him for parasites) and told me Thunder would be fine. He said I shouldn't worry about him being stripped of any beneficial flora/bacteria in his gut, or anything. Well, I worry... so I went out and bought the PetAg "benebac" product for reptiles and Thunder has had his first dose and due for the second today.

Thunder pooped the first day I got him home... sorry.. but a bit "messy" if you know what I mean. And to be expected after a parasite treatment.

Well, today was the first time since.. in a week... that he has pooped again. I was getting worried, but have been told that they only poop every other day, every third day or once a week... all have been Uro keeper's reports. Okay, fine.

His poop today was LARGE!! The normal colors.. dark green'ish brown and some white. Wet, not dry. Fine. But the white part ..correct term escapes me now... has a little blood in it. Enough to notice it, I mean. I thought he had swallowed some kind of orange plastic thing at first sight of it, but then looked closer and it is streaks of blood.

So, is that due to the Panacur treatment? He's been eating his salads and "bean mix" everyday. I soaked him briefly the first day, per store guy's suggestion that it may help if the Panacur made him dehydrate at all. Could the blood be from strain due to constipation, directly related to dehydrating effects of the Panacur? I'm skeptical about the constipated part cuz the poop wasn't dry at all.

Sorry for all the graphic and "non-dinner" talk, but I'm concerned and would like to hear from some Uro folks out there, if possible. I will be calling my vet, as well.

Thanks,
Aminah

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pics or it didn't happen LOL. I love those things good luck with yours

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Contribute to the SLR fund and you can have all the pics you want!! ;P

~Abyss~

Arachnoking