urgent snake question

jere000

Arachnosquire
I "sometimes" add CALCIUM to pups, not often, for reasons that appear obvious to me
{extended pinkie usage & less Sun, costs more $ 2, but I feel better when raising up Boa}

Where are my Vitamins and Whey :? Milkshake time :} LOL

Seedless melons are smaller :D Gives me a shot ;) Gotta go be silly elsewhere now - Great chat Bud :p GL w/ your Boas, etc. 2!
Okay maybe I'll try some supplements if my female boa gives birth this year.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my red tail is about 22 inches, what i do, is get a small full grown frozen mouse, thaw it inside a ziplock, in cold water...make sure its submerged, soak about 30 minutes, then pour out that water, and then refill with lukewarm, soak for 15-30, then refill with hot tap water, and open the ziplock and get some of the water in with mouse....helps out with hydration.....works great for me....i am keeping mine in a aquarium for now, and having horrible problems with humidity, but will be getting a boaphile before too long.....also if you want to give the best care for your boa, join this forum.....www.redtailboas.com you wont be dissapointed...hope ive helped at all....

jere000

Arachnosquire
my red tail is about 22 inches, what i do, is get a small full grown frozen mouse, thaw it inside a ziplock, in cold water...make sure its submerged, soak about 30 minutes, then pour out that water, and then refill with lukewarm, soak for 15-30, then refill with hot tap water, and open the ziplock and get some of the water in with mouse....helps out with hydration.....works great for me....i am keeping mine in a aquarium for now, and having horrible problems with humidity, but will be getting a boaphile before too long.....also if you want to give the best care for your boa, join this forum.....www.redtailboas.com you wont be dissapointed...hope ive helped at all....
If I was going to recommend a site it would be reptileinsider.com

VickyChaiTea

Arachnosquire
Also make sure that the temperatures are perfect on the hot and cool side. Humidity too.

jere000

Arachnosquire
I "sometimes" add CALCIUM to pups, not often, for reasons that appear obvious to me
{extended pinkie usage & less Sun, costs more $ 2, but I feel better when raising up Boa}

Where are my Vitamins and Whey :? Milkshake time :} LOL

Seedless melons are smaller :D Gives me a shot ;) Gotta go be silly elsewhere now - Great chat Bud :p GL w/ your Boas, etc. 2!

*Edit* Ya - I just found a couple the Other day! They are cute as buttons....but not as diverse as Rosies in coloring - IRONICALLY though, Rubber Boas are RARELY Not Rosy Pink colored when Born, and for months following...:p

Also: Hit me up, if ya travel to Cali, and wanna go Herping in some Great Spots!
That rubber boa is awesome I want one.You know where to find rubber boas in Cali.?

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
um ok lol
-is it same size as when you were feeding live? it should, or smaller
-make sure it is FULLY thawed
-what are temps?

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
It is true you shouldnt feed BCC boas bigger meals because they are prone to regurge.
I don't find this to be true at all. I have several BCC's and have been keeping Redtails of multiple varieties for 15 years. I think early in the pet trade, several BCC's were wild caught, vs BCI's which were CBB(Captive bred and born). Wild Caught tend to :barf: more than CBB for sure and I think, early on, it gave BCC's the reputation they didn't deserve if raised under similar conditions as BCI's. The same can be said of them being aggressive. I have a wild caught Suriname that will sit comfortably on my lap for 25 minutes, then try to bite my face for no reason. I also have some Captive born that wouldn't snap at me if i was stomping on them.

All this being said, just for an example 2 half sized rats that weigh the same as one huge one is usually better. The moral of the story is, don't feed prey that is too large.

As for the OP, kudos to you for switching to FT. First off, don't panic and don't feed your boa again for a while. 3 weeks from the date of regurge is the minimum. Your boa will be fine w/o food for a while. When snakes regurgitate a meal it depletes a large amount of what they need to digest and break down their next meal. You need to give it time to replenish this. I've fed mine hundreds of f/t meals over the years and the best thing I've found is to put it's meal in a baggie and put it in the fridge overnight, then you know the next day it will be thawed out. Some people say they need to warm up the food to at least room temperature before they feed it, but this is up to you.

Someone else mentioned switching to rats vs mice as well. This is good advice. Rats offer much more nutritionally compared to mice. Mice are primarily hair, skin and bone. 2 identical snakes with one fed rats and the other fed mice will see a significant difference in growth rate in a short time.

Last edited: