Urgent! Ruptured abdomen!

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Long story short. On of my Ts escaped and suffered a fall. The abdomen is Ruptured and leaking brown substance. I can see her heartbeat.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's bad man. Frankly I don't know what to tell you... in all of those years, luckily, I've never had something like that so I'm clueless.

Water/access to water, while a 'life saver', can't do miracles, one moment. I'm sorry.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
I can only say I'm sorry that happened! I don't know if you can save it. If the corn starch or super glue don't work, you may want to put it out of it's misery. I think you would put it in the freezer for a "painless" death?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Patching her up is worth a try but I'd have to remove the mass leaking out to expose the rupture. it seems to be somewhat solid i'm afraid this would just cause more harm

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Superglue could very well work, but only if you can apply it without hurting the T. I've seen vets use superglue on turtles with broken shells and frogs with lacerations. If a sensitive frog isn't hurt by it, a tarantula should be fine

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Patching her up is worth a try but I'd have to remove the mass leaking out to expose the rupture. it seems to be somewhat solid i'm afraid this would just cause more harm
Oh man. :(

I'd say don't remove any solid masses... poor thing.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
My hope is that the semi-solid mass will act as a sort of bandage. Nothing more has leaked, just this one thing.

cold blood

Staff member
i had a young chromatus with a similiar injury (along with several broken legs) after my shirt caught on some deli cups...i left it alone on damp sub and to my surprise she molted and pulled through....shes over 5" now...dont lose hope, no matter how little you have.

I wouldnt just put it down, its not like they feel pain in the sense we know it....its probably very stressed, but not in pain.

Good luck my friend.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
there is no tarantula blood (however you spell it) her abdomen is shriveled a bit. I'm just going to see how she is in the morning.
i had a young chromatus with a similiar injury (along with several broken legs) after my shirt caught on some deli cups...i left it alone on damp sub and to my surprise she molted and pulled through....shes over 5" now...dont lose hope, no matter how little you have.

I wouldnt just put it down, its not like they feel pain in the sense we know it....its probably very stressed, but not in pain.

Good luck my friend.
Even though this species is kept dry, would you suggest wetting the sub?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh man. I'm sorry to see that. I'm going to bow out of this one, way out of my league. I hope the best for you and your spider. Do keep us updated.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
I hope your T ends up fine. I agree to the people who encourages patching the wound with whatever material you use.

I had a similar problem with my B. vagans a long time ago. An hour later, I came back to a curled tarantula. Heaven gained a beautiful soul that day. :-(

Nonetheless, I sincerely hope your T makes it through.

cold blood

Staff member
there is no tarantula blood (however you spell it) her abdomen is shriveled a bit. I'm just going to see how she is in the morning.

Even though this species is kept dry, would you suggest wetting the sub?
i would dampen an area...getting to the water dish might not be possible, damp sub will provide an alternative.

@cold blood how soon after the injury did the chromatus molt?
Had to be around a month...maybe a little longer.