Urgent question involving Aphonopelma seemani.

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sorry for bothering you all, but I have a 4" female Aphonopelma seemani that I am worried about. If you were to know her, you would know she generally comes out to explore at night and then back into her hide during the day. But this morning, I woke up and looked inside and saw that she was still out, in the corner of the tank behind her waterdish.. I was late for my classes, so I had to leave before I could see if there was anything wrong with her. When I came home, I went in and noticed she was still in the exact same spot. I know some t's can do that, but I'm a bit concerned. She seemed unresponsive but then I gently touched her abdomen with a paintbrush and she raised it up a little. I also find this odd because usually just walking into the room sends her running laps around the enclosure. Any help would be great! Is she possibly beginning to molt now? She ate a cricket lastnight.. that was the first she's eaten in about three weeks.

Please, I'm desperate. I want to know that she'll be ok. =(

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
First off, don't be sorry, you're not bothering. This is the whole reason AB exists!

Second, the only thing you can expect your seemani to do regularly is to always do thing differently. Just when we think we know them, they do something totally out of "character".

There are many reasons she could be hanging out near her dish. She could simply need a bit higher humidity, and that's how she adjusts it herself. She could be stuffed and lazy from eating the cricket. She could be exploring new territory.

Bottom line, don't worry. This sounds like normal, unpredictable T behavior.
;)

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phew thank you so much for the help.

I was just a little weirded out to see her stuffed in the corner like that not moving at all the entire day.

As you can tell, this is my very first tarantula and I would hate to lose her out of something stupid I did.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have a b. albiceps that's in the same spot for weeks on end... so i wouldn't worry.

if she hangs out near the water dish though, you might raise the humidity a bit, maybe she feels it's too dry in her tank.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, my gal Rozilly was doin that sheyot for days and days so i couldn't stand it and got this lil piece of wire and bent it all up just right to fit down in her burrow hole to see what was wrong. Well, once the wire got close she slowly turned around and positioned herself, then launched an aggressive attack, ran after the wire, biting and snarlin', made me bump my elbow and scart the livin daylights outa me all in about .05 sec. lol lol lol

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a lot of ( t ) are nuts but thats the fun part of keeping them :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: :) :) ;) --- phil

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At least you get to see your A. seemani out and about.

Mine tends to spend the majority of it's time sealed within the burrow.