URGENT- Pokie Stuck in Molt

Royalty

Arachnoknight
It has been overnight. She is still alive. Stuck in the molt. What do I do?

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I am sorry to tell you this, but there’s precious little you can do. How stuck is she? Is she still on her back? If so, and if it’s really been a long time with zero progress, you can try putting some drops of water on her mouth parts which will at least help her stay hydrated. A little misting, which I usually don’t recommend, might also help the exuvium stay pliable, but don’t overdo it. If there isn’t already a full and clean water dish, add one immediately.

if it’s just some legs or a portion of the abdomen that are stuck, do nothing at all. Legs are no big deal, if she loses a few she’ll grow them back in subsequent molts. Abdomen, that’s trickier... survival is possible but it can cause other issues down the road even if they do survive now. Really nothing at all you can do for a stuck abdomen.

WHATEVER YOU DO, RESIST THE URGE TO TRY TO PULL OFF THE EXUVIUM YOURSELF. I know it’s tempting but the spider knows better than you how to free itself if it’s possible. it is far more likely you will cause additional trauma by trying, possibly killing a spider that may have otherwise been damaged but survived.

And do NOT do an ICU. They are death traps, based on very old and outdated husbandry info.

I‘m sorry and I hope your spider pulls through.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I am sorry to tell you this, but there’s precious little you can do. How stuck is she? Is she still on her back? If so, and if it’s really been a long time with zero progress, you can try putting some drops of water on her mouth parts which will at least help her stay hydrated. A little misting, which I usually don’t recommend, might also help the exuvium stay pliable, but don’t overdo it. If there isn’t already a full and clean water dish, add one immediately.

if it’s just some legs or a portion of the abdomen that are stuck, do nothing at all. Legs are no big deal, if she loses a few she’ll grow them back in subsequent molts. Abdomen, that’s trickier... survival is possible but it can cause other issues down the road even if they do survive now. Really nothing at all you can do for a stuck abdomen.

WHATEVER YOU DO, RESIST THE URGE TO TRY TO PULL OFF THE EXUVIUM YOURSELF. I know it’s tempting but the spider knows better than you how to free itself if it’s possible. it is far more likely you will cause additional trauma by trying, possibly killing a spider that may have otherwise been damaged but survived.

And do NOT do an ICU. They are death traps, based on very old and outdated husbandry info.

I‘m sorry and I hope your spider pulls through.
She def has lost some legs but is still alive. Dropped some water in. Does not seem to be any signs of bleeding.

Having previously lost one from a bad molt this is freaking me out.

She might be bleeding near her mouth...uhg I am so upset

Royalty

Arachnoknight
A picture is highly needed to assist you.
My phone is not charged and I have to work. I am just going to have to leave her while I go to work. She is pretty small still so there is probably nothing I can do anyway.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah it is really hard to say anything without seeing the exact situation, but I’m the end most of the time there’s it not much you can do, but I know some people have had success with gently making cuts to help free one. But that is something I have never done. Post pictures as soon as you can.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Royalty

Arachnoknight
The tarantula was mostly free by the end of the day and was at the bottom of the terrarium. It seems the tarantula probably fell as some point and freed itself by tearing out or it was injured from it falling. She has 5 legs left and no pedipalps. The pedipalps was maybe the "blood" I saw around the mouth. Tbh, I was a bit traumatized at the sight. She was still alive and I had nightmares overnight. She is still alive. Her remaining legs are pretty deformed and she is still sitting at the bottom of the terrarium.

I did open it and remove the messed up molt bits and dripping some water. I want to take a pic but I can hardly look at her. I think since she did survive the night she has a higher chance at surviving.

I checked the molt and the sucking stomach is out. I do not think there is any remaining molt on her.

I wanted to update for the sake of others.

I have a pic of her when I noticed she first started molting.

1617549106820.png

When she was stuck she was a bit lower and I guess she fell from the web. I was able to angle a bent needle for dripping the water. I have a couple for this purpose. I switched out the top of the amac to a shorter one I had already (it also already has holes) and put some bark on the lower part for her.

I know it nature can be hard but I really do care about my tarantulas a lot and want to do all I can for them. Right now I have put a cloth partway over the amac box to give her move cover for now.

I do not think the enclosure was too small for her molting. I was going to upgrade her after this molt. (I actually have the new one set up)

My other two pokies that passed this milestone were housed in a similar manner. The bark is glued to the top part and not stuck into the bottom.

If there is something I am doing wrong please let me know but be gentle about it since I am really upset about this.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Happy to hear it has made it through the night, seems like just a bad coincidence with a molt and I guess fall, doesnt sound like human error. Rooting for your Pokie to make it. Is it moving around walking/climbing any?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I hope she is OK and pulls through this, you've given her the best chance you can no one could ask more...sending speedy recovery wishes.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
The recovery may be slow as she will likely have to have a molt a few times before being "normal" and that is if she survives the next molt.

This morning I saw her on the side of the enclosure when I went to check so she is able to climb. I did not think she would be able to.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
The pokie has been alive and able to climb despite having only 5 legs of which a few are deformed. I have been using my syringe to add water droplets to the side for her to drink. She has been moving around on occasion and has reacted pretty standard for when I do add the water.

She had not eaten a few prekilled super worms I had added. I was getting worried. Today she took a live mealworm that had a crushed head.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I came home and she is doing her next molt now. Her top has popped but she is molting upright. Should I flip her over or leave her? I never had this happen so I am not sure what is the latest in the care for this.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
I came home and she is doing her next molt now. Her top has popped but she is molting upright. Should I flip her over or leave her? I never had this happen so I am not sure what is the latest in the care for this.
Leave her alone, she knows what she's doing.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Leave her alone, she knows what she's doing.
Let her alone. At some point she went on her side. She now has a fresh set of baby legs. I am not sure if she has them all back but she is looking well. Btw, I did forget to mention she molted on the substrate which is not typical for pokies. I she has not really webbed since her accident.

I do feel relieved it she did not get stuck. She also may be able to live more like her regular spidery self. I had given her some prekill including poking mealworms directly through holes for her to eat.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Let her alone. At some point she went on her side. She now has a fresh set of baby legs. I am not sure if she has them all back but she is looking well. Btw, I did forget to mention she molted on the substrate which is not typical for pokies. I she has not really webbed since her accident.

I do feel relieved it she did not get stuck. She also may be able to live more like her regular spidery self. I had given her some prekill including poking mealworms directly through holes for her to eat.
Few more molts and she'll be good as new