URGENT Phrynus margenimaculata sexing

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Someone has just got in some Phrynus margenimaculata here in the UK which is a pretty big thing, i've got hardly any cash on me but want to get as many as i can to try and breed them, i can only afford 3 or 4 and they said they have no idea how to sex them. i know how to sex Damon sp. but does that still apply to Phrynus?
Really need to know asap as theres not many :(

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry to say that you cannot sex them as you can with Damon species. There is no difference in the pedipalps. You can only sex them by anaethesia and then look under the genital plate........

But if you buy 4, there is a fairly good chance you have both sexes. Especially if it is such a chance, just buy them....

PS. Phyrnus marginemaculatus

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bugger...
I can only get 3 of them which worries me slightly aswell :(

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Sorry to say that you cannot sex them as you can with Damon species. There is no difference in the pedipalps. You can only sex them by anaethesia and then look under the genital plate........

But if you buy 4, there is a fairly good chance you have both sexes. Especially if it is such a chance, just buy them....

PS. Phyrnus marginemaculatus
I was just reading about this the other day, but of course there was no reference(that I can remember) to when genitalia would be developed enough to tell the difference between sexes. Michiel, have you had luck sexing juveniles with this method? I don't want to attempt and stress the animals if it's an impossibility.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was just reading about this the other day, but of course there was no reference(that I can remember) to when genitalia would be developed enough to tell the difference between sexes. Michiel, have you had luck sexing juveniles with this method? I don't want to attempt and stress the animals if it's an impossibility.
Hi,

I am afraid I was merely reproducing what I read in Weygoldts book and other papers and what I was told by Banshee (Michael). My specimens are still to small to sex I think, and I have no experience with "gassing" these animals, but I know what to look for, the female gonopods or male reproduction organ. So when the time is near, I will make a "anaesthesia" box and start gassing them to sex them

I believe I read a thread about this on AB, and otherwise you could PM Banshee and ask him how to do it. He has lot's of experience with this and is very knowledgeable about Amblypygids.

Cheers, Michiel

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thank you, Michiel. I will look up Banshee.

These are very hard to determine max size...all reports of adults are different. When I collected them, there were none equal to the max size noted in various reports.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi everyone,
as told before their are no sex dimorph. visible in that species. Their are just a handfull with morphological differences, like Damon diadema, D.medius, Euphrynichus spp., Sarax yayakuae, Phrynichus spp., etc. then you have a handfull species with some "hidden" differences, like thiny red hairs around the genital operculum like all?! Damon spp., Phrynichus spp. all, etc.
and the last group like most of Phrynus spp. you cannot sex them easiesly, you had to narcot them with CO2 and open carefully the GO and then you see that part of structure, where you found drawings in every publications to determine them, sclerotized claw like ependges in the end you have females, etc.
but MAYBE i found someting in P.marginemaculata too..
here you see male and female:

male is the red one... i also found this in a handfull youngs i am raizing, but this seems to be just on one hand, i also have a lot of males looking normal... sorry to tell that :)

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks all for the help, dont think i'll attempt to properly sex them, what are these like to breed anyway?
Do they easily breed?
Whats the best amount to get for the best chances?
Is 4 good?