URGENT! - M. punctulatus & D. tityus

Rique

Arachnosquire
That’s the catch...”someone,” as in, not us quite yet. I’m still waiting on a return email from him. It’s been several weeks now. I also subbed for the newsletter...which I just now noticed it says that they have a breeding program underway. My best guess is that it is still in progress. If you hear something before I do, keep me posted...

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
But now that they are deregulated, anybody can import them legally. I don't understand why this group should be the only source for them, as that will drive prices sky high. There needs to be some competition.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Rique

Arachnosquire
But now that they are deregulated, anybody can import them legally. I don't understand why this group should be the only source for them, as that will drive prices sky high. There needs to be some competition.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I have good news for you! I just noticed this ad...on August 8, a breeder on BeetleForum by the name of Lucas was selling L1 G. goliathus at $30 a piece. The price is a little expensive for me. But it is your favorite beetle, so you may want to reach out to him ASAP. Now, were they D. hercules hercules, or D. satanas, or M. elephas, I would buy them immediately.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Is the subscription free on beetlesource? Also you bet yourself that I’ll be waiting for those goliathus. Now if someone could get the other species deregulated that’d be awesome.

Rique

Arachnosquire
Is the subscription free on beetlesource? Also you bet yourself that I’ll be waiting for those goliathus. Now if someone could get the other species deregulated that’d be awesome.
@mantisfan101 Yes, the subscription for the newsletter is free through beetlesource. It may be months before the first listings of goliathus appear through Steve’s site though. The breeding program is still developing. Luke on BeetleForum mentioned he would have more L1 G. goliathus after Aug. 8. The retail price was up there - $30/L1 - considering that there is always the possibility of a DOA.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Rique, thanks for letting me know! I never did say it was may favorite beetle, but...

@mantisfan101, all 5 species of Goliathus were deregulated to my knowledge.

Argh! I really need to save money, not spend it on L1 beetle larvae! Ahh!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
all 5 species of Goliathus were deregulated to my knowledge.
No, only goliathus, regius, and cacicus were deregulated.
@Rique, exactly. So many variables to consider, and I've got other animals to feed! However, once Goliathus sp. become more common in the US, you can be sure I'll be one of those people fighting through the crowds to get one...or two...probably rubbing elbows with @mantisfan101, @Hisserdude, @All About Arthropods, and @The Mantis Menagerie.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I am sure that we will be fighting for the larvae. Although since I can work with museums through USDA permits, I might be able to join in on one of their orders. I also know an insectarium rearing them. (I have been posting photos of the chubby larvae on Instagram, which is connected to my website listed in my signature.)

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Talking with people who actually do the importations, it is extremely expensive with many different fees, such as the FWS permit. One import of a few beetles can cost upwards of $1,000!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@The Mantis Menagerie, I misread the line on the website; thanks!
As for importing, this is why they would need to come in on a larger import not solely composed of beetles/larvae, so that the cost can be spread around. The USFWS import permit is only around $100. It is the shipping that makes it expensive. Maybe one of our Arachnoboards importer/vendors could bring some in...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I've heard of and seen exotic mantids, centipedes, spiders, etc. imported by those with permits from USFWS. Maybe if they could get some goliathus adults or larvae mixed in, it;d work out but for now focusing on the ones we have in the US should be our main priority.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
@Rique, exactly. So many variables to consider, and I've got other animals to feed! However, once Goliathus sp. become more common in the US, you can be sure I'll be one of those people fighting through the crowds to get one...or two...probably rubbing elbows with @mantisfan101, @Hisserdude, @All About Arthropods, and @The Mantis Menagerie.
Haha I think I'm done keeping beetles that produce large numbers of predatory larvae that must be kept separately in a thousand different deli cups... That's basically what keeping Pyrophorus noctilucus is like, and I found it quite tedious taking care of a hundred larvae individually every couple days... :p

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
How many young do Goliathus sp. typically produce? I guess this is why people try to sell L1 larvae so quickly...

Thanks,

Arthroverts