URGENT! - M. punctulatus & D. tityus

Rique

Arachnosquire
If anyone has a male M. punctulatus that could be shipped to me, I have 2 energetic females waiting. They have been feeding on Japanese beetle jelly for several weeks and are very healthy. Time is of the essence!

I also have a recently emerged D. tityus male in need of a female.

If anyone can spare a male M. punctulatus or a D. tityus female, I can ensure pairings. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you sincerely...

Rique

Arachnosquire
I will definitely do as you say, my friend. Thank you. And I just now checked to try to post in their “Beetles for sale/wanted” ...but they still haven’t approved me, so I’m not able to post an ad.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I will definitely do as you say, my friend. Thank you. And I just now checked to try to post in their “Beetles for sale/wanted” ...but they still haven’t approved me, so I’m not able to post an ad.
I've been looking on beetleforum myself lately for other things, but it seems like most on there have males but no females. There is a post from July from someone looking for males because they had two females. Maybe you could see if they'd be willing to part with one of them or maybe arrange something?

Rique

Arachnosquire
I've been looking on beetleforum myself lately for other things, but it seems like most on there have males but no females. There is a post from July from someone looking for males because they had two females. Maybe you could see if they'd be willing to part with one of them or maybe arrange something?
Thank you...however, the problem is that I don’t have permission to access the classifieds section yet, until I’ve been approved.

But I like the idea. Can you get the contact info and I’ll reach out to the individual? If not, I’ll just wait until I’m approved to search for the July ad you’re referring to.

Rique

Arachnosquire
I did read the post by aspenentomology. The last entry was on August 1st. So it’s possible that the person still has the females. I sent a message to the administrators of beetleforum, so hopefully the approve me soon. If you’re able to contact the individual and forward my request, that would be awesome. I’ll reach out to the person as soon as I’m approved.

Thank you for the lead.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I did read the post by aspenentomology. The last entry was on August 1st. So it’s possible that the person still has the females. I sent a message to the administrators of beetleforum, so hopefully the approve me soon. If you’re able to contact the individual and forward my request, that would be awesome. I’ll reach out to the person as soon as I’m approved.

Thank you for the lead.
The ad I was referring to was made by a person named Goldsystem. I messaged them to see if the females were still looking for mates and if he would be willing exchange info of some sort so you guys could talk.

Rique

Arachnosquire
The ad I was referring to was made by a person named Goldsystem. I messaged them to see if the females were still looking for mates and if he would be willing exchange info of some sort so you guys could talk.
Thank you, now let’s hope they’re open for negotiations. That would be ideal!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you, now let’s hope they’re open for negotiations. That would be ideal!
Did you ever get your access to the classefieds sorted out? The guy got back to me and said he wasn't interested in selling either of his females, but might be interested in buying your male

Rique

Arachnosquire
I wish they had approved me lol. I haven’t heard back from the website admin. That’s ok. At least I’m on Arachnoboards, right? In any case, thank you for helping me. I was able to find a source for a female on Friday. And she just arrived this morning. But I still need a male M. punctulatus for my two females...the chances of finding someone with one seems highly unlikely. And that’s too bad...

I have a late L3, but not close to pre-pupa :/

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
Are you still looking for a female tityus? I have 2 fresh ones. Send me a PM if you are.

Rique

Arachnosquire
Are you still looking for a female tityus? I have 2 fresh ones. Send me a PM if you are.
Nathan, hey! I hope all is well! I remember you sent me several L1 tityus 2 or 3 years ago. Thank you for offering. But I lucked-out. My male tityus died days after I sent the message/request. I am still trying to determine why it died so soon, as it was one in a group of 3 that died prematurely. I suspect disease affecting the nervous system, at least in one case. At any rate, they were quarantined from my other stock.

For the moment, I am contenting myself with a major male D. grantii and his 3 females eating fermented maple syrup jellies in a breeding box. And an egg is visible through the clear plastic. I’m very happy! The bulk of my L3s of grantii will overwinter.

...now, returning to your females. Perhaps we do have a chance. I have 1 new pupa and another pre-pupa L3 D. tityus. However, we are at least 1-2 mo. away from emergence. By that time, you may not have your females anymore. If you do...that would be a beautiful coincidence!

Rique

Arachnosquire
Did you ever get your access to the classefieds sorted out? The guy got back to me and said he wasn't interested in selling either of his females, but might be interested in buying your male
I have good news! At 8:12 PM, yesterday...I finally received a notification email from BeetleForum.Net! “Your registration is complete!”

Just why it took so long, I’m not sure. I honestly thought they had decided to not approve me. But I’m glad they did! Thank you for the assist in attempting our negotiations, by the way...

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
The females I have are fresh and can be kept dormant for many months. Normally I keep them in cold storage until May.

Nathan, hey! I hope all is well! I remember you sent me several L1 tityus 2 or 3 years ago. Thank you for offering. But I lucked-out. My male tityus died days after I sent the message/request. I am still trying to determine why it died so soon, as it was one in a group of 3 that died prematurely. I suspect disease affecting the nervous system, at least in one case. At any rate, they were quarantined from my other stock.

For the moment, I am contenting myself with a major male D. grantii and his 3 females eating fermented maple syrup jellies in a breeding box. And an egg is visible through the clear plastic. I’m very happy! The bulk of my L3s of grantii will overwinter.

...now, returning to your females. Perhaps we do have a chance. I have 1 new pupa and another pre-pupa L3 D. tityus. However, we are at least 1-2 mo. away from emergence. By that time, you may not have your females anymore. If you do...that would be a beautiful coincidence!

Rique

Arachnosquire
The females I have are fresh and can be kept dormant for many months. Normally I keep them in cold storage until May.
That’s very true...I completely overlooked that. You are right. I’ll definitely reach out to you then after the first male emerges. Thank you, by the way. I still cannot believe I lost 2 male tityus - a perfect major, and a large female, in succession. It was very disheartening. And I had already made plans and preparations for the pairings, etc.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Best of luck with your pairings @Rique! I hope everything works out for you.
This is an example of why I have yet to take the dive into a more serious exploration of the beetle side of the hobby; too many contingencies, worries, problems, and issues involved in the raising process. But we'll see; my interest only continues to grow.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Rique

Arachnosquire
Best of luck with your pairings @Rique! I hope everything works out for you.
This is an example of why I have yet to take the dive into a more serious exploration of the beetle side of the hobby; too many contingencies, worries, problems, and issues involved in the raising process. But we'll see; my interest only continues to grow.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I appreciate the well-wishes. I agree with you in the multi-factorial - potential - issues that can complicate beetle breeding. Consider that even the now prominent members of the scarab breeding community have struggled to establish the process. Orin
McMonigle states that it took years for him to overcome difficulties in establishing a successful breeding program for D. tityus. Daniel Ambuehl demonstrates complications and other complete failures in breeding processes, in more than one of his many YouTube videos. However, both have succeeded to overcome numerous obstacles and established successful breeding of particular species. We - you and I - have much written theory available to us. But this doesn’t always allow us to prevent complications in laboratory controlled situations: disease or parasites factoring into adult or larval mortality, inadequate nutrition, inopportune timing of emergence of both sexes, the passing on of genetic pathology, the list certainly goes on. I will say that I am more knowledgeable now than I was 2 years ago, but I find myself attempting to correct or carefully monitor for complications to prevent mortality or offsets by emergence timing at this time. This season, I reduced the number of L3 to 3-4 larvae per 30 liter container, in order to prevent complications and to monitor closely for said potential complications. Thus far the rearing process has 0 mortality, but my losses of 3 D. tityus adults without placing samples of swabs of internals on slide, for microscopic analysis to assess for parasitic or other disease, was not done. In fact, this was never done by McMonigle or Ambuehl. If a larva or pupa died, an autopsy was not conducted - whereby the material inside was placed on a slide for microscopic analysis to rule out any micro-organism as cause of death.

Daniel Ambuehl states that a total of 12 larvae are necessary to begin a successful breeding process. I have more than this of 3 of my spp. But it would be wise to introduce healthy genetic wild stock each season as they do in Japan.

At the moment, I am very hopeful and happy with the rearing process of my several species. But my objective is a successful and healthy breeding program. I want to buy books from Asia on the topic, to gain greater insight!

Last edited:

Rique

Arachnosquire
I’ll let you in on something...M. vogti may someday be available to us. And believe me, that is one I’m looking forward to. So you say “once Goliathus sp. become more common”...inferring that it is already common and in circulation? Please send me the lead if you have it! They had referred me to the enthusiast who had it deregulated but I haven’t heard from him yet. My argument to the full de-regulation of Goliathus was that if this is truly the case, I am assuming that it must be sourced from within the US at this time...or they would still be destroyed by customs if imported from, let’s say, the UK or Asia - e.g. I doubt I could order them through eBay without the USDA knocking at my door.

PS - I’ll be rubbing elbows with all of you for that one! I’m in line, I already took a number. lol