Urgent id needed in FL pls- 2 inch brown spider, thin legs, 1/2 inch long body- pics inside!!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’s been over 24 hrs and no word from OP. It’s now safe to assume, that the spider in question is indeed a “Floridian child eater”, that has eaten OP’s children and OP. Case closed.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm on my phone, so I don't have time to type out a more detailed response right now, but it is definitely not medically significant (not a recluse).
Taking a closer look, I believe this is a mature male "flattie" (genus Selenops). Compare with:

It also looks vaguely like a giant crab spider (Sparassidae), but I don't see any good matches for Florida.

concerned recipient

Arachnopeon
Ummmmmm you posted previously about someone mailing you a spider…..now this???
lol. it's a woodsy area. it's not uncommon at all just expressing my reasoning. i like to go to experts before i make assumptions and draw conclusions i really wouldnt know myself, but yes.. could be related :astonished:

Taking a closer look, I believe this is a mature male "flattie" (genus Selenops). Compare with:

It also looks vaguely like a giant crab spider (Sparassidae), but I don't see any good matches for Florida.
look how crazily similar that looks to a brown recluse (imo and untrained eye) .. lol

I'm more curious about identifying the species of cellphone that was used to take that pic
samsung A11. it was on the ceiling and i didnt want to scare it or make it dash off in case it was poisonous so i had to climb up on a cabinet, kneel, lean forward (where i couldnt even see the screen) and just fumble around til i ended up taking a bunch of pictures. that was the best one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Your life is going to be a lot less stressful if you learn to assume that NONE of the little brown spiders you see are recluse spiders. Especially since the chances of you seeing a recluse spider are virtually nil.