Urgent help please!!

Jess jess

Arachnopeon
Hi all.

So I have a curly hair and she's about the size of the palm of my hand and last night she climbed to the top of the tank.. the problem is the tank she is currently in is very high about 40 centimetres and she has been there since last night and I really need to get her down because I'm afraid that she's going to fall....the problem is when I open the top of the tank, It usually shakes abit and I'm scared that if I shake it, she falls and dies... so do I leave her to come down on her own or do you suggest I attempt getting her and obviously this is so that I can sort out her tank and see why she suddenly climbing, maybe to open as i recently changed the position of the tank, and i need to fix the hight ...obviously that is just way too high.

P.s these are temporary tanks that they're in because I'm actually getting a cabinet made but because of lockdown I haven't been able to get it.

Tia

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You seem to know that your tank is to tall. Still you use that tank!? I wonder why. Tarantulas can injure them self and even die from rather short fall. The larger the tarantula the more dangerous it is. Especially for terrestrial speicies.

House it in a better enclosure. If you, due to lockdown cant get a proper enclosure, add much more substrate so that the falling distance is limited as much as possible

Jess jess

Arachnopeon
You seem to know that your tank is to tall. Still you use that tank!? I wonder why. Tarantulas can injute them self and even die from rather short fall. The larger the tarantula the more dangerous it is. Especially for terrestrial speicies.

House it in a better enclosure
As I said.. I'm waiting for my custom cabinet tank.. I can't travel to fetch them as we have been on lockdown for 2 months.

I didn't have the spider longer then 2 weeks before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
You can gently blow on it trough the ventilation holes before opening and it should move away.They really don't like it.In other circumstances I would not advice anyone to do that to any T.
Then add more substrate to compensate for the height or get plastic storage box with better dimensions from local supermarket and make some ventilation holes in it(those should still be opened)till your enclosure comes.Your spider don't care what it is housed in so no need to be flashy .
20200427_131739.jpg
Also don't get irritated to members giving you criticism.There plenty threads poping here all the time on here for dead spiders due to incorrect housing that could have been easily prevented.And most of us are passionate about our beloved pets.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe try tilting the tank on its side? I had to do that before when one of my spiders got a leg stuck and was dangling in mid air.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
As I said.. I'm waiting for my custom cabinet tank.. I can't travel to fetch them as we have been on lockdown for 2 months.

I didn't have the spider longer then 2 weeks before that. So rather ask before u come across as a judgy asshole.
Here's what can happen from having your tarantula in a tank that's not setup properly.
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/i-think-my-tarantulas-abdomen-exploded.333381/post-3054933.

This is why vanisher is advising to set it up properly.

Personally, without pictures or a description of the lid, I would take the lid off as carefully as possible. trying to get the tarantula off the lid any other way is likely to cause it to fall.

As for housing: a deli cup or Tupperware container our similar are likely better housing options than the current tank.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
As previously advised try tilting the tank on one side to free her. In the meanwhile keep her in a fairly deep storage box, filled 1.5x diagonal legspan to the top with substrate. This’ll be much safer than the current enclosure.

Could we see photos of the prospective custom enclosure?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Depending on what you've got in the enclosure I'd slowly lower the tank down so you're bringing her horizontal to the floor. Once you've tipped it enough 45 degrees maybe blow through the lid or have someone rattle the lid so your tarantula walks down.

Once your tarantula is down catch her up. If you've no more sub, add plastic tubs or similar to the empty enclosure to fill the space then put your sub over them to massively close the gap from the surface to the top.

Unsure where you are but Amazon will still be probably delivering. You could have ordered or still can order a kritter keeper or plastic tub as a temporary enclosure.

Jess jess

Arachnopeon
Hi
You can gently blow on it trough the ventilation holes before opening and it should move away.They really don't like it.In other circumstances I would not advice anyone to do that to any T.
Then add more substrate to compensate for the height or get plastic storage box with better dimensions from local supermarket and make some ventilation holes in it(those should still be opened)till your enclosure comes.Your spider don't care what it is housed in so no need to be flashy .
View attachment 345756
Also don't get irritated to members giving you criticism.There plenty threads poping here all the time on here for dead spiders due to incorrect housing that could have been easily prevented.And most of us are passionate about our beloved pets.
Regards Konstantin
Thank you

That is where she was. We got her put safely and I am now cutting a piece of plastic for the top to lower the hight.

Will post a photo when done

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
That is where she was. We got her put safely and I am now cutting a piece of plastic for the top to lower the hight.

You're tarantula is really, really lucky to have not fallen. Hell fire that's a long drop and a rock?????

Hope the lowered lid works for her sake but take the rock out regardless now you know she climbs. Still might be tall but is there a way you can lie the tank down and just secure the lid at the end?

If Amazon is still delivering just order a kritter keeper for about £12.

Jess jess

Arachnopeon
I am in south Africa. I havent even been paid in 2 months so buying stuff online is really not something I can do.

Thank you all for the advice and now I know better.

We cutting a flap lid to size to fit inside the tank with ledges to keep the lid standing And a handle to lift up the lid. It's about 10-15 cm in hight now.

Will post final tank when it's ready

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel

Tank would work 10x better sideways. Its set up as arboreal. Needs a TON of substrate and What is a rock doing there?

Instead of wasting time and money on a cabinet setup displaying animals that are kept the wrong way, that time and thosse resources should be used to learn basic husbandry.

GL!

Jess jess

Arachnopeon
Tank would work 10x better sideways. Its set up as arboreal. Needs a TON of substrate and What is a rock doing there?

Instead of wasting time and money on a cabinet setup displaying animals that are kept the wrong way, that time and thosse resources should be used to learn basic husbandry.

GL!
It's actually the turantula cabinet's that you get. FYI. Not for show.

Ah so over it actually. Most of everyone here has a <edit> attitude towards newbies and people trying to learn. Thanks for the help from those who did but I'm out this group.
Can't deal with people like that.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ah so over it actually. Most of everyone here has a <edit> attitude towards newbies and people trying to learn. Thanks for the help from those who did but I'm out this group.
Can't deal with people like that.
This place is the best resource on tarantulas. I strongly advise you stay as it's clear you need help. Even if you don't post. The wealth of information on here is ridiculous and it's just a search away.

Yes it was your first post on here but you have to remember and think how many "please help me" posts actually get posted on here. And everyone here wants the best for your TARANTULA not necessarily you or what you want to read.

So aye, it's not all rainbows and unicorns. It's feet firmly flat on the floor reality in situations that require it.

I can guarantee staying on here even to browse or use the search function WILL give your tarantula and yourself a much better time.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
What a pitiful setup

Keeping the tarantula in a barely bigger container like they do at the expos would be better and SAFER than that

Last edited: