Urgent Help Please - Substrate Change Every 2 Weeks!!!

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a local website down here and someone has advised an other member to change his substrate and do full cleaning every 2 weeks. Now I read the thread the other day on cleaning, but I was hoping you could all post your response to this so I can add a link for all the locals to see what the real experienced keepers have to say about it. Would there even be a possible reasons to do it so often?
I gave my opinion that it is not neccessary unless you have mould growing. And it will cause unneccessary stress to the T.
Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a local website down here and someone has advised a noob to change his substrate and do full cleaning every 2 weeks. Now I read the thread the other day on cleaning, but I was hoping you could all post your response to this so I can add a link for all the locals to see what the real experienced keepers have to say about it. Would there even be a possible reasons to do it so often?
I gave my opinion that it is not neccessary unless you have mould growing. And it will cause unneccessary stress to the T.
Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Basically, the only reason I do a full substrate change is when there is a mold outbreak. That does not happen often, but so far it has been the only time a change is done. I have animals that have been on the same substrate for the past 4 years, and have had no ill effects.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cant think of any reason to change it every 2 weeks. If your getting mold that often then something needs done to remedy the problem other than changing it that often. I usually change mine once a year.
Changing that often would only stress out you t and make it very hard to keep over a few T's. Not to mention it would get rather expensive if you have a large collection. Spot cleaning to remove leftovers or mold is all that is really needed on a regular basis. And proper ventilation will usually cure any mold problems.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only clean if it becomes necessary. I always give fresh substrate when I rehouse, but other than that I only clean an entire enclosure in case of mold. You do though, of course, have to remove cricket remains and poo every few days. I do it when I feed.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mites and mold are the only reasons I've encountered to warrent a complete substrate change. I have many tarantulas that have been in the same enclosure and on the same substrate for years. Every two weeks sounds about right if your just leaving food in the cage and not cleaning up after it eats. Substrate changes every two weeks would also cause an enormous amount of undo stress on the T.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Mature (aged) enclosures have balanced amounts of beneficial mites and other small organisms that keep invading organisms from taking over. One of the problems with cleaning, is it provides a sterile environment for worse infestations.

Besides being a totally unnecessary amount of work, money, and stress for the specimen.

-Sean

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
completely changing out the substrate only adds unneeded stress to your T's and should be avoided when ever possible...many of us clean the substrate maybe a few times a year and in some cases not at all... which depends on the situation...basic maintenance!! IE cleaning uneaten food debri and sheds helps maintain a healthy environment.

there are cases such as infestation of either mites or baby crickets that might warrant a complete change out but then again with proper husbandry:p you really minimise this occurring.....also there are several treads on this this subject and maybe you should link those...

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why can't you just link them to the thread about cleaning, now? :?
I wanted a more specific question related thread. This thread is confirming what I said about the stress. I will add both links though.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Anyone from this 'other website' should feel free to post their questions or concerns and perhaps we can address them.

-Sean

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Every two weeks? It takes sometimes longer than two weeks for a "T" to adjust to a new enclosure.

May I ask what type of substrate they were told to use? which required replacing every two weeks.

I only change out substrate when rehousing into larger enclosure. I clean food boluses, dead crickets, moults, etc, as soon as it is found. I also tend to keep my enclosures on the drier side, which helps in the prevention of nasties.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The substrate is Peat. I also found out that the recommendations for changing the subs was only for slings. More specifically Avic's due the SSD (sudden sling death). It was advised to control any possible outbreak of mould. I also came across someone changing subs every week as he thought it better than losing his sling.
My founding is that they are not provinding enough ventilation and perhaps over misting causing the subs to remain moist. Any thoughts?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think that ventiltation is the key with any animal you need to keep high humidity for. Mold seems to like damp places with no air flow.
There is no reason i can think of to change the substrate that often even for slings.
I usually only have substrate change for my slings when they outgrow the container they are in and get moved to new digs.

as for larger bugs, i dont change the substrate ever unless it molds, gets mite infested or somehow wind up with a ton of pinhead crix lol then i change it and dump it all in the tub and raise the crix for feeders lol

but you need to clean up uneaten food items and poo pretty often and dont feed things like mice to them or you get a bloody mess in the substrate that will stink.

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Substrate change

Unless the substrate is dirty, moldy, or otherwise smells; I don't change it.

With that being said, the substrate in my T's tanks has never been dirty (they are clean animals with a garbage disposal area); It has never had a mold (I mist once or twice a week depending on T, and have a water dish in all juvi+ sized tanks); and it has never produced an odour.

I have changed some things around on occasion for my viewing pleasure, but my T's don't care.

They usually undue my work anyways, digging up plants, and filling the water dish with dirt. lol