Urgent: Help Needed

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone have any stridulation/hissing sounds produced by scorpions? need for a project tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated plus the satifaction of knowing you have advanced the field of scorpion biology and a special mention in my lecture. :);P
cheers
ORION

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want to know about the stridulation/hissing sounds that scorpions make, you need to ask about which species.

Opistophthalmus sp rub the chela together.

Androctonus rub there telson on there plural membrane.

I forget how Heterometrus make noise..

Hope it helps.

Mike

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember BrianS posted something about his R.junceus hissing. Maybe you can ask him if he ever recorded it.

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
izzit loud? man, your environment must be super quiet to do such recording!

Uncle Manny

Arachnopeon
Hissing

Just a point of semantics in using the term "hissing" as a sound produced by scorpions. Technically scorpions do not hiss. Hissing is a sound made by usually in the mouth by rapidly passing air over an object or thru a small space. A Gophersnakes (Pituophis) rapidly exhales over an loose appendage at the opening of its glottis. Humans hiss by exhaling between the tongue and teeth. Saw Scaled Vipers (Echis) produce a hissing-like sound by rubbing their highly ridged scales against each other, but it is not a hiss.

To my knowledge no scorpion is capable of exhaling and producing a hiss. Several forms make sounds by stridulating-- rubbing to extremities against each other.

It's not simply an overly anal affliction, but one of those little things, like- poison and venom-- that are wrongly and unnecessarily overused.

Uncle Manny

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
To my knowledge no scorpion is capable of exhaling and producing a hiss. Several forms make sounds by stridulating-- rubbing to extremities against each other.
That would, indeed, be quite the feat for a set of book lungs.

Cheers,
Dave

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all thanks for all the discussion my presentation went over very well unfortunately i did not get a video or sound file of stridulation, better luck next time. If any of you do happen to record one i would still appreciate a file of any sort as i will be teaching a course this summer to grade 6 and 7's on "creepy crawlies" and feel that that would be a really cool subject to go over.
cheers
ORION