Urgent Help Needed - H. Mac Loose in Apartment

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yikes ! Not the species you want loose in your apartment. Good for you on finding her. You'll remember to close the lid tightly after watering/feeding her, right ? ;) Double check, triple check if need be. Congrats on getting her back without issues.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
View attachment 442283
Found her. I think turning on my AC unit in the window spooked her out of wherever she was hiding. Letting her calm down for a bit before putting her back in her enclosure. She was still super calm and didn't bolt or give me a threat pose, thank goodness.

Lessons learned. This was the kind of mistake you only need to make once.
Count your blessings, there's quite a few bite reports just on H. maculata alone. Their venom is rough but usually symptoms subside after 12 to 15 hours.

However those 12 to 15 hours will seem like forever if you ever get a heavy dose of envenomation.

Very happy to read that you found it, gratz.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
glad she was found. >Lesson learned and hopefully she didn't eat any contaminated food while on vacation.
Familiarity breeds contempt, and the repetitive nature of T care is an easy access to 'getting sloppy'. It's really hard, but try to approach every bit of husbandry you do
with the same apprehension you had on the first time. This is all the more needed when the T is spicy. Try to draw on that initial mind set because we all tend to let
our guards down when we do this stuff for a while, and with multiple critters

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
glad she was found. >Lesson learned and hopefully she didn't eat any contaminated food while on vacation.
Familiarity breeds contempt, and the repetitive nature of T care is an easy access to 'getting sloppy'. It's really hard, but try to approach every bit of husbandry you do
with the same apprehension you had on the first time. This is all the more needed when the T is spicy. Try to draw on that initial mind set because we all tend to let
our guards down when we do this stuff for a while, and with multiple critters
Sound advice. I'm a gun guy, and one of the four cardinal rules of firearm safety is to treat every gun as if it is loaded. The one time you slip up is all it takes for something to go wrong, and this is a good example of that. I'm just fortunate and glad it wasn't worse.

From now on, I'm treating every spider as if it's an old world.

A buddy of mine who was in the Marine Corps used to say to me, "Complacency Kills." In this case, complacency will put me in the hospital and make me wish I was dead. Or worse, an innocent and unsuspecting neighbor in my apartment building.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Like @LucN said, it never hurts to triple check enclosures, regardless of the species. But anyhow, glad you found her!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Most likely WC adult, they are imported in droves and a bunch showed up over the past couple months. I usually see them for much less than $80 though. Any updates?
I’ve never seen a h mac in pet stores, pet supplies stopped keeping Ts.
View attachment 442283
Found her. I think turning on my AC unit in the window spooked her out of wherever she was hiding. Letting her calm down for a bit before putting her back in her enclosure. She was still super calm and didn't bolt or give me a threat pose, thank goodness.

Lessons learned. This was the kind of mistake you only need to make once.
grats on finding her.
spectacular looking T I had one once but it had a bad molt or something and died.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Ahh yeah on special order, I meant my store does not carry them. Are you saying I could buy another rose hair there ? I miss my g rosea. :sad:
Actually as a matter of fact, they do sell a rose hair, a pink toe, and I think a b. Hamorii. What happened to your rose hair?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unfortunately complacency kills exotic animals instead of their owners

Glad it was found

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Actually as a matter of fact, they do sell a rose hair, a pink toe, and I think a b. Hamorii. What happened to your rose hair?
Stuck in molt , second one old age . They were both adults when I got them one I owned one 15 years the other 3.
Do g rosea kick hairs ? Mine didn’t but I’m allergic to urticating hairs so I’m not sure if I can get any pet store Ts.