Urgent Help Needed - H. Mac Loose in Apartment

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
I made a severely boneheaded mistake yesterday when feeding her. I guess I didn't close her enclosure door all the way, and the crack was just wide enough for her to escape. I noticed it about an hour ago, around 10:30 p.m. CST, but I fed her yesterday afternoon at about 3 p.m.

My apartment isn't exactly tidy, and the gaps between the radiator pipes and the holes for them in the ceiling are big enough for her to get in between them and between my ceiling and the neighbor's floor, or possibly into my neighbors' apartments.

Where do you think she might be hiding?

Should I notify my neighbors about the situation?

How do I explain it to them? I live in a rough part of town, and some people here might not react too well to hearing they might have a large, fast, temperamental, medically significant spider hiding in their home. But who would, honestly.

How long would she be able to stay alive in conditions like this? I live in Omaha, Nebraska and the weather keeps going back and forth between somewhat temperate and cold.

Should I pack my bags now in preparation for eviction?

If I find her, does anyone want a 6" adult female H. Mac free of charge? I'll cover shipping.

I'm currently looking under every horizontal surface and in every dark horizontal places I can think of. I'm completely terrified, but I've got long sleeves and leather gloves on with a square plastic container and lid at the ready.

I'm probably going to turn all the lights off, wait a while, then turn them back on and see if I can catch her out in the open.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Good luck to you I hope you find her. I would keep an eye out in heated areas. I might try to block the open areas by the pipes in order to contain it in case it has not gone up there yet.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Most likely, she’s not too far from the enclosure. Are you certain it isn’t in the enclosure? If you have a red light- I’d recommend using that. They’re arboreal so look high… but they also burrow a bit so it could be anywhere. Stop catastrophizing, it’ll be fine but just keep looking. More likely for the spider to die than to bite your neighbor. But you don’t want any of those things. Start looking in one spot and work your way out.

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
My feeling this whole time is that she's likely inside the radiator housing that runs the length of the wall at the bottom. The radiator is just a pipe with sheet metal fins on it, and a heavy-gauge sheet steel cover that's open on the bottom. There's only about 2 inches between it and the floor, and I can't see through anything.

If that is the case, my guess is she's hunkered down good after all the racket I've been trying to avoid making while looking for her, if she hasn't been cooked already.

Also, pest control comes by every unit once per month to spray, but I've got a sign on my door saying I've got spiders and I treat my unit myself so they won't be killed. If she has indeed gotten through any gaps in the ceiling or through my vent in the bathroom and is on the free-roam portion of her playthrough, she'll have plenty of roaches and hiding spots to keep her happy unless and until she's exposed to the insecticides.

I rescued her about 2 and a half weeks ago from horrible conditions in a local pet store, and she's been very well-behaved the entire time I've had her. She's never bolted, never given me a threat pose, and is almost always visible.

She also hasn't eaten since she's been in my care. I wonder if she was an old breeder that they got ahold of somehow, because an adult female H. Mac for less than 80 bucks is a steal.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If you are 100% sure it isn't in there, leave it open, keep the water filled. Mine went for the window/curtains, it was just a little sling though. Was out a week or 2, I never knew it was even out. Are you 100% sure? They make multiple rooms underground sometimes. If it isn't eating it may be hidden away to molt. I would think containment first, stuffing things under doors etc. Good luck! Watch yer fingies!

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
She's 100% not in there, and no amount of neurotic denial has changed that yet. Still holding out hope, though.

With any luck, I'll have a significant emotional event when I find her hiding in my jacket before I go to work, or in my towel after a shower.

A spider in a known location is one thing, but an unexpected spider is something else entirely. Especially this one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She was less than 80$ BECAUSE she is an H mac and everything they represent :rolleyes:

Good luck- could be anywhere

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The only thing you can do or else to tell you to do is to keep searching until you find her! Just keep looking, a good portion of people always find them after some time of serious searching. Good luck. I don't think you have to prepare for eviction though and I know you'll obviously be more careful next time.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
The chances of finding it are slim... super fast, climbs like a god and can pretty much hide in every crack...
Shoes and piles of clothes are usually common hiding places. To be fair, you should let the neighbors know, this species is not entirely harmless...
Incidentally, it is an illusion to believe that animals can be rescued from a pet shop... The opposite is the case. I bet the enclosure has already been occupied again!

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with the above suggestion of using a red light and look for it at night or whenever it likes to go exploring. You might get lucky and find some webbing too.
If you have a cat keep an eye on it; A member here found an escapee when her cats were all of a sudden interested in a bookshelf.

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
I Agree with Smotzer as to " serious searching " , A 6 incher should be a little easier to find, The covers on the baseboard heat come off easily. Get some help and canvass the place. When I lived in a place riddled with Widows and Recluses I made a Habit of Checking my Shoes and Jackets . On a lighter note... You can get a Dubia costume or Try making Cricket sounds. Seriously though , Good Luck and Be Safe

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
I've got a lot of clutter in my apartment, and I suppose this is an even better reason to finally get it cleaned up. Very, very carefully.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I'll post any updates as they develop.

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
Maybe if I jingle my keys and tell her we're going for walkies she'll come out. I could also try running an electric can opener for a few seconds every hour. 😆

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
She also hasn't eaten since she's been in my care. I wonder if she was an old breeder that they got ahold of somehow, because an adult female H. Mac for less than 80 bucks is a steal.
Most likely WC adult, they are imported in droves and a bunch showed up over the past couple months. I usually see them for much less than $80 though. Any updates?

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
Most likely WC adult, they are imported in droves and a bunch showed up over the past couple months. I usually see them for much less than $80 though. Any updates?
Not yet. I'm on my way home from work now, but I still don't expect to find her.

Like I've said, she's got a lot of hiding places in my apartment. I'm hoping to see some webbing soon once she finds a spot she likes (hopefully not my night stand). I'm also thinking that once she gets comfortable somewhere, she might start to venture out a little bit at night so I can catch her.

20230312_091005.jpg
This is her, before she went missing of course. She's never bolted, never given me a threat pose, and I've never seen her move faster than a slow walk. But that's probably subject to change.

spiderfish762

Arachnopeon
Snapchat-791742358.jpg
Found her. I think turning on my AC unit in the window spooked her out of wherever she was hiding. Letting her calm down for a bit before putting her back in her enclosure. She was still super calm and didn't bolt or give me a threat pose, thank goodness.

Lessons learned. This was the kind of mistake you only need to make once.

Attachments

8 legged

Arachnoprince
View attachment 442283
Found her. I think turning on my AC unit in the window spooked her out of wherever she was hiding. Letting her calm down for a bit before putting her back in her enclosure. She was still super calm and didn't bolt or give me a threat pose, thank goodness.

Lessons learned. This was the kind of mistake you only need to make once.
Good to hear!