urgent help just noticed something odd in the water dish

missy

Arachnopeon
help just noticed something odd in the water dish, it looks like really small white bits floating swimming around. what is it ? what shall i do ?. the substate i am using is peat moss . are these bits harmful, if so i need i can change everything straight away, i wanted to check before disturbing .

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's some kind of parasite in the water. Seems like it might need to live in water so dump the water and run the water dish under real hot water for a few minutes. Fill it back up with cool water and you should be good to go.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's some kind of parasite in the water. Seems like it might need to live in water so dump the water and run the water dish under real hot water for a few minutes. Fill it back up with cool water and you should be good to go.
i agree. could be anything. maybe try changing out the substrate too in case they arent totally water dependant.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol, or it could just be poo... some of my ts like to poo in their water dishes and it looks just like white little bits floating in there...

so if it is really small and has legs, it's a parasite, if it is larger and leaves smeary stains, it's just poo.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they *may* just be the larval stage for a fly species, or they *may* be springtails (mine were)

you may want to PM CodeMonkey or WIndchaser to clarify this though. I believe it was one of them that told me this info.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how about a picture? i'm sure with photographical evidence, someone could tell you for sure.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
how about a picture? i'm sure with photographical evidence, someone could tell you for sure.
W/o a pic, its all speculation. Possible itmes have been named along with mites or even pinheads....

Try to pour the water onto a white paper towel and see if they are more easily visible...
T

missy

Arachnopeon
picture could be tricky they are really small and they are moving, so i have done a substrate change and water dish change everything was nuked in the microwave, hopefully that will solve it, cheers for your reply, and any answer as to what it was, will be great.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you used peat from the same bag, they may be back. also if that is the case i'm thinking possibly spring tails. I had a simular problem with my A.avic last summer, and it turned out that is all what the problem was.