Urgent - Disturbing while molting

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok here is the deal, last night I attempted to feed my G. pulchra again as it hadn't been eating for a week or so.

an hour ago, it was right side up so i left the food in there and was going to remove it to night.

Now she/he is on her back and I don't want to bother her except....the bloody cricket is right under her/his webbing that she is laying on and it is very much alive.

Should i risk bugging her to remove the cricket (a little landscaping is involved to get it out.) Or leave it be and hope for the best

its a small cricket 1/3" and she/he is about 2.5-3" maybe a little more.

If I'm freaking out for no reason then tell me so, but this T is the first one I ever got so its rather sentimental.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get the cricket out. Do it now. If you are very steady handed and just relax you should be able to get in there with tweezers and grab the crick without too much trouble. A slight nudge to the T probably won't make it go ballistic and hurt itself anyway but that is the risk here. Go slow, take your time and be relaxed but do get the cricket out before it starts munching on the helpless, soft-shell tarantula.

No reason to freak out, just do what has to be done. In this hobby there are plenty of "buck up and just do it" type moments. It may be this scenario or maybe an angry Haplopelma that doesn't want to be rehoused, or perhaps you need to pack up a male Poecilotheria for shipping. Maybe a T has a molt fragment stuck and you need to get it off. In any case, you will need to get used to both the unpredictable nature and potential hazards (both to the T and yourself) as they are part and parcel of this hobby.

Just do it!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get the cricket out. Do it now. If you are very steady handed and just relax you should be able to get in there with tweezers and grab the crick without too much trouble. A slight nudge to the T probably won't make it go ballistic and hurt itself but that is the risk here. Go slow, take your time and be relaxed but do get the cricket out before it starts munching on the helpless, soft-shell tarantula.
Thank you will do now.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Moltar" answered my thread so i went for it, I managed to get the cricket out from under the webbing with minimal movement of my T.

Thank you for getting back to me.

All is well again.

Thank you Moltar.

ps: as for those buck up and do it moments, I was going to do it before I left for class in 30 minutes. I was hoping to hear from someone more experienced one way or the other, I'm looking forward to seeing my freshly moulted, or partly moulted T when I get back this evening ^_^