URGENT!! Beetles in my tarantula's enclosure!!!

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
I have no idea how this happened, but a bunch of beetles took residence in my G. pulchra's enclosure! I have her in a catch cup right now, but I'm really frantic because idk how this happened. I haven't seen beetles in the house anywhere, and idk what to do now. Has anyone else had this problem? My spider seems fine, she doesn't look injured at all, and she's behaving normally, so I don't think the beetles hurt her.

The beetles are big and black, and I don't think there was a way for them to slip into her enclosure through the tiny slits in the top of the thing. I'm gonna clean out her entire enclosure, put some new sub in, etc. I'm just really freaked out rn, because I have no earthly idea how this happened.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have no idea how this happened, but a bunch of beetles took residence in my G. pulchra's enclosure! I have her in a catch cup right now, but I'm really frantic because idk how this happened. I haven't seen beetles in the house anywhere, and idk what to do now. Has anyone else had this problem? My spider seems fine, she doesn't look injured at all, and she's behaving normally, so I don't think the beetles hurt her.

The beetles are big and black, and I don't think there was a way for them to slip into her enclosure through the tiny slits in the top of the thing. I'm gonna clean out her entire enclosure, put some new sub in, etc. I'm just really freaked out rn, because I have no earthly idea how this happened.
Superworms and mealworms turn into beetles if you don't crush their heads when you feed.

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
Superworms and mealworms turn into beetles if you don't crush their heads when you feed.
Oh dang! Why did no one tell me this?? Am I stupid??
Oh geez...well, thank you for telling me. I could've sworn I killed all of them before putting them in there...
That's fascinating, but I also feel like an idiot for not knowing that beforehand;;;
Noted. I'll definitely remember and make sure they're dead next time...:banghead:

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
On occasion this (finding a black beetle) occurs to me as well. They're crunchy and have a distinct odor that I don't believe T's enjoy. So normally I'll give them to one of my black widows.

PS. During they're stage of worm to beetle. IMHO - they seem to resemble the "chestburster" from the Alien franchise.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
On occasion this (finding a black beetle) occurs to me as well. They're crunchy and have a distinct odor that I don't believe T's enjoy. So normally I'll give them to one of my black widows.

PS. During they're stage of worm to beetle. IMHO - they seem to resemble the "chestburster" from the Alien franchise.
I'll often feed beetles to my arboreal T's. Never had a T reject a beetle yet.

cold blood

Staff member
Oh dang! Why did no one tell me this?? Am I stupid??
Oh geez...well, thank you for telling me. I could've sworn I killed all of them before putting them in there...
That's fascinating, but I also feel like an idiot for not knowing that beforehand;;;
Noted. I'll definitely remember and make sure they're dead next time...:banghead:
This subject has been repeated over and over again....i would assume its common knowledge with the amount its been discussed over the years....its shocking you were in the dark in this subject.

Your lucky your t didnt molt or it would have been promptly eaten.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
And that my friends is why I decapitate every worm that gets fed to my Ts! Plus the head makes a good meal for slings as well!