Urgent - Bed bug spray treatment...is my T safe?

Simon83

Arachnosquire
I bought a chilean rosehair tarantula last week into my new apartment. I've had a notice saying that they will be coming in tomorrow to do bug spray treatment. I'm taking Sophia out all day in my record bag but I'm still worried that it will affect her when I'm back at night. I can't find anyone to look after her either. Any chance she will be ok? Can I open up windows to clear the spray out? I don't want to kill her so if she's not going to be ok then I may have to see if I can take her back to the pet shop. I'd rather give her back and let someone else look after her than keep her here and kill her :-( but what do you guys think? I'm going to have a word with whoever is doing the treatment tomorrow and tell them that a) I've only been here a week and b) I have a pet tarantula and see if I can get them to just not do it. The notice says to keep animals out for 4 - 8 hours after treatment but I'm guessing that doesn't apply to arachnids.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I sure would not risk it. Maybe the place you bought it from will keep it for you for a few days? That stuff lingers, it would worry me.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Land of "The slasher" really?!
Anyhow, I would try to air out your place after as best as possible the, (as much as a pain in the arse it will be) best thing would probably be, wipe down the room with a moist towle with soapy water and let dry... You never know what this crap is...I wouldn't bother with the celing but the walls and then if possible swiffer or mop breifly the floor...:rolleyes:

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like trouble, i wouldn't risk bringing her back in there for at least a few days- honestly i don't know how long the toxic fumes would linger. None of your friends could keep her for a little while? They wouldn't even have to do anything, just stash her cage on a shelf in a back room. No feeding or watering required for such a short stay. If no one will do it, it wouldn't hurt to ASK the pet store to hold onto her.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies...it sounds like I'm screwed then if I can't convince them not to use the treatment. I moved to Toronto a week ago and the only person I know can't take her in. I can try to see if the pet shop will look after her...failing that, see if they will take her back.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Simon, what about an animal shelter? I know this is probably too expensive, but maybe even as a vet clinic to keep her for a few days? Petsmart boarding? If I were you, I wouldn't even want to breath that stuff.......plus maybe move if the place has bedbugs!

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow... bed bugs.. I'd move lol. But regarding the T, keep her out of there for a while, then when you bring it back in make sure that nothing that was in the house during the spray goes into the cage... wash your hands well to make sure you don't contaminate the cage.. but still, I'd move lol

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
if worst comes to worst when you bring her back take her straight to her enclosure and saran-wrap the entire lid. leave it for a few days or untill you wipe down most of the counters (and remember not to bug her- who knows where they sprayed so it could be on your hands!)

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
Also maybe being in Toronto, you could try and post on the canada boards. Another hobbyist located near you might be able to take your rosie in for a few days... you would be surpised how many hobbyists are located near you....

baconmushroom

Arachnopeon
Also maybe being in Toronto, you could try and post on the canada boards. Another hobbyist located near you might be able to take your rosie in for a few days... you would be surpised how many hobbyists are located near you....

+1 to this perfect idea.:p

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep in mind too that the better treatments will always have at least two follow ups to be sure they are all killed. Is this a preventative maintenance, or treatment because they have a problem? PM they will probably just blow chemical around the lower part of the room. If it ia a real treatment, they better be pulling receptacle plates, and detail spraying EVERYTHING. Ask the tech. If it is just a PM, and they have had no recent problems, you may get them to skip you. If they have had a problem, let them do a thourough job.

One of the only bugs that freak me out. I don't even travel anymore because these friggin things are everywhere.

My neighbor is in the pest control buisiness, and they sort of specialize in bedbugs. I will try to get some info when I see him. Try to find out what chemical they are using.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I would find it hard to beleive that a petshop you bought a T from would not let it come back to chill for a couple days. If they deny your request then they are evil people who have no right to be in the animal business.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies guys :) They'd been mopping the walls on the floor when I got up this morning...could smell it but I'm hoping Sophia will be ok. I popped her in the bathroom and shut the door for a bit. The guy in charge asked me if I was ready for the bug spray...so I asked him if it was really neccessary, that I had a tarantula etc he said that there'd been a problem with the building and that it needed to be done. He said that it'd be fine if I just kept her out for a few hours after, and aired out the flat. I somehow don't think it's that easy :-/ I'm here on a work visa so I'm going to pop to the organisation office that looks after me, gives me internet access, job boards etc and see if they can look after her for a little bit. You think a couple of days should be enough to air the room? Also, do you think she'd be ok with the mopping of the walls? I know she didn't come into direct contact but I don't know if it'd be enough to do anything.

Oh and yes, I'm freaking out :-(

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I sure would not risk it. Maybe the place you bought it from will keep it for you for a few days? That stuff lingers, it would worry me.
i would try this as well. i'd hate to see you have to give up Sophia. Rip my spiders out of my cold, dead hands!

k2power

Arachnoknight
Maybe before bringing the tarantula back in, test with some crickets or house spiders to see how they handle the air after a few days of airing. Not saying it will be definitive but if they seem OK then possibly the tarantula will be OK, Though tarantulas may have the potential to be more sensitive to chemicals as evidenced by the crazy symptoms some people are experiencing from flea spray.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
I know this has dropped way off but I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me out. The pet store took care of her for a couple of days and the crickets I'd bought seemed to be ok in the apartment...so I brought her back on Friday and she's been fine :)