upright molt?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, I just got home from hanging with friends and I was doing rounds, checking on everyone, and I noticed my female P. lugardi is sitting...weird. the tips of most her legs slightly curled under and she's twitching and 'pumping' I want to say she's trying to molt upright, but I've never seen this before, so I don't really know!

I haven't had her for very long, about 2 weeks, and I believe the person I got her from said she'd molted 2 months ago. She has not eaten in my care yet, not for lack of trying. (I'm glad I caught this now as I left a cricket in the KK this morning.)

I'll take a picture in just a second and post it up, so maybe y'all can give me an opinion on what she's doing, and if there are any videos of upright molts out there, I'd like to see them...

/edit/

here is a picture of how she's laying...

Last edited:

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I posted a thread all about this!
Just look for it a page or 2 back! there are some nice pics posted there!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's no change this morning. She hasn't molted, and she's still moving like she was last night, maybe not as much though. I'm really afraid I'm going to lose her, but I don't want to move her over in to an ICU if she IS attempting to molt.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our B. auratum molted upright a couple weeks ago, but its legs weren't curled like that. The twitching and pumping you mentioned seems like molting, but if there's still no change this morning, then I'm really not too sure. It has only been about 5 hours so I'd give her some more time.

I hope she'll be okay :)

Cass

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
There's no change this morning. She hasn't molted, and she's still moving like she was last night, maybe not as much though. I'm really afraid I'm going to lose her, but I don't want to move her over in to an ICU if she IS attempting to molt.
Hey! thats not sounding good at all!

Thats a little long for the molt process!

Is she due for a molt?

Hope she molts soon! but the leg positioning doesnt look good!

blackrayne

Arachnopeon
id put her in an icu if i were you...she looks like shes going into a curl to me...if she just molted 2 months ago, traveled to you 2 weeks ago, and hasnt eaten yet, chances are very good that shes dehydrated...just my 2 cents...

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wasn't sure if I should put her in an ICU or not because I didn't want to disturb her if she was attempting to molt. However she is now no longer moving, or is moving very, very little. I think it is time I put her in an ICU. :( I'm very upset about this, I haven't had her very long, and I really treasure her, I had been very anxious to add her to my collection and now....

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's in an ICU now. She's mostly curled but still moving, so I'm hoping I'm not to late to save her. Should I just put her next to the water bowl or should I try to place her mouth parts in the water bowl to see if she will drink?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No, just make sure the paper towels are damp enough for her to get water from.

PIG-

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She should be able to gather sufficient moisture from the paper towels.
I would place her next to a wide shallow water dish. Hope she pulls through for you! :(

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She should be able to gather sufficient moisture from the paper towels.
I would place her next to a wide shallow water dish. Hope she pulls through for you! :(
That's what I have done. I do to, thank you. :eek:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ariel, I'm hoping things go well for your girl. :) Terry

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ariel, I'm hoping things go well for your girl. :) Terry
Thanks. I'm leaving her alone right now. In fact I'm about to leave the house, because I know if I'm here I'm going to be checking on her all the time, and I really shouldn't be doing that.

If a T does pull through in an ICU how long is it usually until you start to see an improvement?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ariel, I'm sorry to say but I've had yet to use and icu for any of my t's other than my big female Theraphosa sp. She had already bled out by the time I'd found her after rolling onto her legs at a bad angle during the molt. Other then that they've all been dead once found.

I hope your situation turns out different and it molts properly in the icu. Aside from the leg positioning looking somewhat unusual, it looks healthy. :)

Terry

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope so, but I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. :( I just got home and checked on her and she moves a little when I opened the container, more then she was moving when I put her in, so hopefully that's a good sign, but she's still curling and she's very, very, weak.

I just wish I knew what caused this...

She was set up in a medium KK with just under 4" of substrate, not even a whole leg span from the lid to the sub. A half log hide, and a small water bowl. The substrate was a mix of coco fiber, peat moss, and play sand. She never attempted to burrow, but she did use her hide.

Just a note I did see her get stuck on the lid twice. Once she was able to unstick herself and the second time I had to unstick her. not that I think this might have had any contribution.

Before I left yesterday to hang out with my friends she was sitting normally in her hide as she always does, not looking strange or anything, so going from looking normal and healthy to this is just shocking and heart breaking.

I don't know how old she is, but she's only about 4", or just shy of.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I would turn her over and drip water into her mouth. Also keep the book lungs off the wet towel. Best of luck.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to say, but it appears that she has passed away, despite my efforts. :(