Updated Sling molting question

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK i posted a little while ago about my sling being about to molt (1.5" G.pulchra). Anyway, i popped a cricket into its jar and it hesitantly took it...not like the usual pounce once it hits the soil - this time the cricket had to go over to it and the spider wasnt at all agressive, slowly and casually took the cricket. Does this mean i can move it without hurting it? Or have i done it harm by feeding it with an impending molt?

The whole spider has blackened up just like what hapened about a week before it molted last time.

Sorry for all the questions, just looking for some peace of mind as i paid alot for this little guy and im paranoid having never had a sling before - all juvies and adults.

Mark

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am......by far.......no expert on this but, in my experience......the sling probably wouldn't have taken the cricket at all if it was too close to the moult......when mine are getting ready to moult (slings or adult/sub-adult) they decide on their own when they will stop taking food.....if they refuse the food then i remove it from the enclosure.....and if they still havent moulted in a day or two (slings) then i may try feeding again.....if they still dont eat then i remove the food and wait for a moult.....
im am not sure if this is the "correct" way or if there is even a "correct" way to handle this...im sure some other people will chime in on this one....i was just sharing my personal experiences with you.....

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
most of the t's I have are sling's ,and they act the same as my adults and juvys. when they are getting ready to molt they wont eat and I remove the cricket. If it wasnt hungry it wouldnt have ate the cricket.I have a 21/2" -3" p.camgridgei that will attack and then just leave the cricket to die when its getting ready to molt.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
Does this mean i can move it without hurting it? Or have i done it harm by feeding it with an impending molt?

Mark
You can't make them eat when they're close to a molt - yours has a little ways to go, maybe 2 weeks.