Update on the mystery T's

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I went back to the pet shop today to see if the guy I bought the mystery T's from had anything with a latin name on it. Suprisingly, they were sold to him as H. Minax. I don't know about that, however, as I haven't seen any H. Minax with stripes like these. A different pic from last night is below(I'm proud of them no matter what they are). The scene below will never happen again, because as soon as I re-housed them, they both started striking and hissing, even though there was plastic between those guys/girls and me. I have to fatten them up as well.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd have to agree based on a visual comparison...

Would like to see a pic of the Bill's T after a molt... It sure looks overdue for one to me...

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
I went back to the pet shop today to see if the guy I bought the mystery T's from had anything with a latin name on it. Suprisingly, they were sold to him as H. Minax. I don't know about that, however, as I haven't seen any H. Minax with stripes like these. A different pic from last night is below(I'm proud of them no matter what they are). The scene below will never happen again, because as soon as I re-housed them, they both started striking and hissing, even though there was plastic between those guys/girls and me. I have to fatten them up as well.
My guess is Haplopelma sp. "longipedum", aka C. paganus. If I remember correctly from Martin's posts, this and H. lividum are the only Haplos where leg IV is longer than leg I. I can't be 100% sure from the photos, but it looks as though this might be the case with yours, and it's certainly similar in appearance to mine below.

Joy

Last edited:

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whats up with this Joy? That spider's abdomen is smaller than a tennis ball... this isn't like you at all lol

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
Whats up with this Joy? That spider's abdomen is smaller than a tennis ball... this isn't like you at all lol
Yes, I know, LOL! That picture was taken the day I brought her home (she was a WC I bought at a reptile show). I'm happy to say she's looking much plumper now--in part, I hope, because she's going to make an eggsac :)

Joy

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you all are right

I think y'all are right about what these things are...they look remarkably similar. I finally got the really aggressive T's that I've wanted....

T

Tarantula

HOORAY I am about to mate two of these. I have two adult females and one adult male. Hopefully he gets a lot of action. Chris would you ever want to buy a whackload of spiderlings for Creepy Crawlies?

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've just rescued one from the local pet shop. It was starved (insanely starved at that) and dehydrated. It's now doin quite well, been eatin some meat, and has made a deep very well dug burrow. It's downright evil and fierce, I've never seen one like it. Truly beautiful as well. It cost me about 4$ and considering the norwegian prices for Haplopelma sp that's a SWEET price. I'm pretty certain of it being a H. "longipendum".

BTW: when I told the owner of the store a bit about the spider being poorly cared for, and a POOR choice for a beginner (due to its defensive behavior) she actually said to me: "It's a Bird Spider! it can jump ten feet horizontally and three feet straight up!" I almost started laughing in her face.. but instead i answered; "whatever you say.." some people should never be allowed to work at pet shops (or with animals at all) :p

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by mmmmdonuts
Hey Joy,
how come your not holding that one?
Bryan
Tired of posting disclaimers ;)

Joy