Update on the GBB and Q about breeding?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, first off I have recieved a few pm's asking about my GBB and I want to thank everyone who has done so. Well she has been in her new enclosure (20 gal) for about one week and she's starting to regain her strength since the molt. Just the other day she accepted her first cricket which is a good thing. The first few days she had enclosed herself inside her hut but the last day or so she has been walking and tracking web around her tank. I usually keep her tank around 80 during the day and drop it to about 72-74 at night. I have thought about breeding her but I have heard that it is really tricky due to them being real male munchers. How hard is it to get them to breed and would it be worth even trying?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, first off I have recieved a few pm's asking about my GBB and I want to thank everyone who has done so. Well she has been in her new enclosure (20 gal) for about one week and she's starting to regain her strength since the molt. Just the other day she accepted her first cricket which is a good thing. The first few days she had enclosed herself inside her hut but the last day or so she has been walking and tracking web around her tank. I usually keep her tank around 80 during the day and drop it to about 72-74 at night. I have thought about breeding her but I have heard that it is really tricky due to them being real male munchers. How hard is it to get them to breed and would it be worth even trying?
i think its ALWAYS worth trying. how big is she? i might be able to help you out pretty soon if you DO want to breed her. ive got 2 males that should have their "spurs" after this molt. we could work something out on splitting the sac if you want. just pm me if you are interested.

on to the orriginal topic. the temps sound good to bring her back to good health. congrats on getting her to eat again. if you have her in a 20L its going to take her awhile to web all that up! {D its not really hard to get them to breed. but you are correct...they are some "man eaters"! usually 2-3 males should do the trick though. i breed my spiders the same way i breed my snakes. i cool them off a bit in the winter (late jan. usually) then start to warm them back up again in early to mid march. (gives them a good brumation period) then i give them a couple good meals....introduce the male and female and....ta-da! copulation! :D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I understand, yes they are hard to breed, and are secretive about doing so. My male got munched. We still don't know if the female is going to lay an eggsack or not. I don't know the percentage of successful eggsacks per breeding, but I do know that the male survival rate is not good.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I understand, yes they are hard to breed, and are secretive about doing so. My male got munched. We still don't know if the female is going to lay an eggsack or not. I don't know the percentage of successful eggsacks per breeding, but I do know that the male survival rate is not good.
oh yeah...i probly should have mentioned that. after i DO put them together. i put them in the closet so as not to be disturbed.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks alot.....I know, that's alot of tank to web up but it looks like she's on her way ;) Her last molt was 5 1/2 inches so I think she should be good to go. I'll shoot ya a PM about the breeding. I heard about the sucess rate so im thankful im no GBB lol

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I sent my male off a while ago. The first female was very kind towards him and hadnt eaten him when they were co-habitating. He went to another female and after some successful copulation, she ate him. The first female made a sac, but she didnt turn it and the sac was black :(. The second female also laid a sac and 9 turned out healthy. I say that i got pretty lucky. Good luck on your matings?
Green_bottle_04- Does a cooling period seem to help? Do you also give them daylength clues besides the winter cooling?