Up next, for a me as a beginner.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
They're basically the easiest of the intermediate species, I wouldn't really recommend getting one until you have a little more experience though. They're very fast and, while unlikely to bite, they have more potent venom than other NW species (not OW bad but a bite will still ruin your day, and possibly the day after that).

Most species from the Aviculariinae subfamily (Avicularia/Caribena/Antillena/Ybyrapora/Iridopelma) are classed as beginner species. Iridopelma/Ybyrapora are faster and have a bit more attitude than the others, Caribena laeta are also known for being a bit cranky.
Just saying my P cambridgei bit my straw that I used to prod food into moving rehousing etc also threw a threat pose almost every time I open the enclosure. theres one threat pose about 5 days after a molt when I was trying to feed him.

Attachments

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
D. pentaloris: really good choice
Well, she is quite stunning, however and after reading some replies it might be better to wait a bit before getting one.

Most species from the Aviculariinae subfamily (Avicularia/Caribena/Antillena/Ybyrapora/Iridopelma) are classed as beginner species. Iridopelma/Ybyrapora are faster and have a bit more attitude than the others, Caribena laeta are also known for being a bit cranky.
Ybyrapora i keep searching, but unfortunately i cannot find it anywhere in Europe. Will keep looking thou..

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Just saying my P cambridgei bit my straw that I used to prod food into moving rehousing etc also threw a threat pose almost every time I open the enclosure. theres one threat pose about 5 days after a molt when I was trying to feed him.
I've never seen any defensive behaviour from either of mine, both were skittish/flighty when smaller but calmed down a lot once they put on some size, my main issue with them is that I basically never saw my first one and the second one's been much the same :peeking::rofl:

Ybyrapora i keep searching, but unfortunately i cannot find it (Europe) anywhere. Will keep looking thou..
Yeah, they're not that common, I did check a bunch of UK sites that ship to the EU and none have them at the moment.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
I've never seen any defensive behaviour from either of mine, both were skittish/flighty when smaller but calmed down a lot once they put on some size, my main issue with them is that I basically never saw my first one and the second one's been much the same :peeking::rofl:

Yeah, they're not that common, I did check a bunch of UK sites that ship to the EU and none have them at the moment.
Yeah as did I but Caribena versicolor almost look as good

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
What about Avicularia cf. aurantiaca or Avicularia sp. "Kwitara", are both good for beginners?

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Then i guess ill go for both!
Both what’s? Of the avocado you mentioned? How big are they? Here are both of my C versicolor slings enclosure they are about 3/4 of a in just make sure you have lots of ventilation they are in 32oz deli cups. One row of lightly spread holes at the substrate lvl then one or 2 very close line of holes around the top and lots of holes on the lid. Send me pictures of the enclosure pictures and tarantula sizes if you can.

Attachments

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
If you like colors and webbing, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens might be just your thing. They are a little expensive, but so easy to keep and very, very beautiful!
A little on the fast side, but considering that you are considering the jump to Psalmopoeus, that shouldn't be an issue.

You've been warned about psalmos temperaments, but I'll just throw in a a personal experience.
I got a P. irminia sling as a freebie with my first tarantula. Cutest little thing ever.
Now she's almost fully grown and I've never had any issues with her. She has, however been looked after by a friend of mine, who had my spiders for a couple of months. She bolted and escaped seven times during feedings.
This friend of mine is much more experienced than I am.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Both what’s? Of the avocado you mentioned? How big are they?
Both meaning, Avicularia cf. aurantiaca and Avicularia sp. "Kwitara". Also they both have 1,5cm. Cross ventilation as you can see in my avic versicolor enclosure shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you like colors and webbing, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens might be just your thing. They are a little expensive, but so easy to keep and very, very beautiful!
A little on the fast side, but considering that you are considering the jump to Psalmopoeus, that shouldn't be an issue.
Unfortunately Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens comes hard to find, will try to get one eventually but its pretty much like the Ybyrapora, when i find one ill try to get it.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah as did I but Caribena versicolor almost look as good
They look better as adults in my opinion :)

Both meaning, Avicularia cf. aurantiaca and Avicularia sp. "Kwitara". Also they both have 1,5cm. Cross ventilation as you can see in my avic versicolor enclosure shouldn't be much of a problem.

Unfortunately Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens comes hard to find, will try to get one eventually but its pretty much like the Ybyrapora, when i find one ill try to get it.

Page 2 has GBBs (chromatopelma L3) in stock! Their Facebook page had alot of reviews but please do research first! I'm also so damn jealous of the European prices.......

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Page 2 has GBBs (chromatopelma L3) in stock! Their Facebook page had alot of reviews but please do research first! I'm also so damn jealous of the European prices.......
Yeah i just saw it, however is like you just said, i need to check for more reviews (only 9 in FB). The price seems good... Although i do not know the L3 size..

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah i just saw it, however is like you just said, i need to check for more reviews (only 9 in FB). The price seems good... Although i do not know the L3 size..
L3 means 3rd instar or the slings 3rd molt, considering a 2i is about .5 inch, a 3i would be about .75inch to 1 inch (DLS).

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
L3 means 3rd instar or the slings 3rd molt, considering a 2i is about .5 inch, a 3i would be about .75inch to 1 inch (DLS).
Just curious how long does it take a 1 month old C versicolor sling until it goes into premolt? It’s 3rd I so not melted out of that yet any estimates?

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just curious how long does it take a 1 month old C versicolor sling until it goes into premolt? It’s 3rd I so not melted out of that yet any estimates?
Hit me with ambient temps and your feed rate/size of feeder, smaller size of enclosure is correlated with faster growth (I think smaller size enclosure, just means more likely to find food but maybe there's some other aspect I don't know about!). Those variables can make growth rate 3-5x faster than a colder, less fed sling :)

In general id expect a molt from your size slings, maybe once every month or two.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
I am afraid that they only ship above 50€ which is kinda pricey for a store that i do not know.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am afraid that they only ship above 50€ which is kinda pricey for a store that i do not know.
Oh man, in the us $50 is how much you have to pay for just shipping for ANY slings and a gbb 2i sling is easily around 50$ regardless, Ill see if I can find more reviews or anything!

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Oh man, in the us $50 is how much you have to pay for just shipping for ANY slings and a gbb 2i sling is easily around 50$ regardless, Ill see if I can find more reviews or anything!
Oh, are they that expensive over there? I already find a couple of stores, and maybe a breeder with Ybyrapora diversipes available.. so, fingers crossed.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My man it's such a tragedy, 10 years ago I got versicolor slings for 12$ now I'm lucky to see anything under $30. I just spent $280 dollars on 4 irminia slings, 2 gbb 1.5 inch, and 2 1/4 inch P.sazamai, I'm fairly certain you can get all that shipped under $80 in the EU! I was lucky enough to buy from one of the most reasonable and generous sellers, average price for that order was $400+ at every other place I looked (looked nationwide hah).