Up next, for a me as a beginner.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
First and foremost i want to thank you all for this amazing forum, it gave me answers before i even knew the question, as a truly beginner it helped me to build the enclosure for my 2 slings and how to take care of them better (especially Tom Moran videos about enclosures).

Ok, now a short explain, currently i have 2 slings, a caribena versicolor (lot of holes to cross ventilation, webbing points etc), and a brachypelma emilia lot of subtract and a burrow to hide with some deco. Both have a water dish, i feed them pre killed and chopped meal-worms and i spray every now and them some water to the sides so they have more hydration points. Both my T's are doing fine, the B.Emilia is about to mould in the next days.

I am not in a hurry to see them fully grown, it will take what it takes and ill enjoy (even if in slow motion) the beauty of it. Also i do not plan to handle them, not out of fear but because i don't want to stress them or deal with any other unforeseen situation completely avoidable.

As for my question, i love arboreal tarantulas, truth be told the webbing and the enclosures seem quite spectacular to me and the T's quite beautiful, i do not plan (in the next years at least) to go for a old world T (especially after reading how nasty they can be). So, i was thinking to myself, what about a Psalmopoeus cambridgei? or a Psalmopoeus reduncus? or should i go for a non arboreal like the Davus pentaloris?

Thanks!

IMG_20200708_141519.jpg IMG_20200708_141529.jpg IMG_20200708_141538.jpg IMG_20200708_141547.jpg IMG_20200708_141552.jpg IMG_20200708_141559.jpg

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
If you think you're ready for an arboreal that's faster take your pick of your favorite psalmo.

D. pentaloris is beautiful too a long with soooo many other terrestrials.

Stay in the NW and you should be fine!

jay444

Arachnosquire
Psalmopoeus are fast growing and beautiful but beware, they are very very fast and more defensive than most new worlds since they don't have urticating hairs. They are also known for having a slightly stronger and painful venom than other new worlds, but nothing compared to old worlds. It really is up to you to know of you're ready or not to handle this genus. I care for my P. Cambridgei with the same caution I would for pokies.

Hope it helps with your decision

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
i spray every now and them some water to the sides so they have more hydration points.
For the Caribena I would stop doing this all together. Instead just keep that water dish full and administer water with like a dropper directly to the webbing instead of spraying.
i was thinking to myself, what about a Psalmopoeus cambridgei? or a Psalmopoeus reduncus?
Both amazing species, but I would not really advise you not to do this until at least you have raised the Caribena sling or a few to adult hood with all the rehousings along the way. Gotta get a system at least down with some Rehousing experience before dealing with anything with super fast speed.

but I’m glad your in love he arboreal side of this they are the best!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Psalmopoeus is an amazing genus, one of my favorites in fact. In terms of basic husbandry, they're very easy to take care of. However, in terms of temperament, at times they can have a nasty attitude. They are also lightning fast. When I first got my female P. cambridgei, I don't think I was quite prepared for her speed when she bolted during her first rehouse. I did it in the bathtub though, so it was easy to catch her. But it was surprising how fast she was. They are also VERY food motivated. When I first started in the hobby I tried to tong feed her a cricket (mistake) and she got so excited by the food that she ran up my tongs. She also attacks water droplets when I refill her water dish. It's almost comical. However, they're easy to take care of, grow very fast, get large, and are gorgeous spiders. I think that mine is actually my favorite in my collection. Since you're just starting out, though, it might be a good idea to get a little more experience under your belt first. Or maybe get a sling so you can learn as it grows. They're really underrated and in my opinion are some of the best tarantulas out there! You already have a versicolor but you could also may try getting an Avic. I can see from your enclosures that you're ahead of the curve when it comes to ventilation and husbandry.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Thanks all for the answers!

Yeah, but regarding this specific one the only let down for me, maybe, is the fact that the males don't last that long..

Psalmopoeus are fast growing
Now this is something that makes me wonder, super slow can be... well slow, but if they grow up that fast it wont let me get to know them properly... how fast is this fast?

For the Caribena I would stop doing this all together.
Is it bad? can it be harmful? ill drop some droplets in her/his web then.

All in all my favourite is the Psalmopoeus cambridgei, they are flagged as begginer species in www spidersworld eu but i thought it would be better to ask.
What other arboreal, beginner friendly, could i also look for?

jay444

Arachnosquire
You could expect a good 2-3 inches of growth within the first year if you start with a tiny sling.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
She also attacks water droplets when I refill her water dish. It's almost comical.
When i read i was thinking to myself what a nasty piece of work she might be..

Or maybe get a sling so you can learn as it grows.
Well, i only want slings, i know they can be a bit hard, but it gives me time to try to know/observe them

You already have a versicolor but you could also may try getting an Avic.
That crossed my mind aswell..

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
For P. cambridgei, I'd say that they're on of the fastest growing species I have. My female went from about 1 inch to about 3.5in in the span of a year. I'd also classify them as more of an intermediate species in terms of experience level.

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
You could expect a good 2-3 inches of gwoth within the first year if you start with a tiny sling.
Humm quite fast then. Maybe ill hold these species for the time being..

For P. cambridgei, I'd say that they're on of the fastest growing species I have. My female went from about 1 inch to about 3.5in in the span of a year. I'd also classify them as more of an intermediate species in terms of experience level.
Yeah, taking in consideration all the replies i might hold on them for the time being, perhaps ill stick with the Davus pentaloris or the Avicularia juruensis (ex. peru purple) maybe..

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Is it bad? can it be harmful? ill drop some droplets in her/his web then.
Yes it can be harmful to Caribena and Avicularias. It can create stuffy humid enviornememts. People have problems with keeping this species alive when misting. You should keep it on dry substrate with a water dish and add water just too it’s web. But I have seen plenty of caribena and avicularias come down and drink from their water dishes that I have kept
All in all my favourite is the Psalmopoeus cambridgei, they are flagged as begginer species in www spidersworld eu but i thought it would be better to ask.
I would say they are intermediate because of their fast growth rate and lighting speed. It can catch you off guard!!

for arboreals there are any of the straight avicularia avicularia or morphs that are awesome. There’s also Caribena laeta and Ybyrapora diversipes which are awesome awesome arboreals that are far underrated and overlooked in my opinion.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Humm quite fast then. Maybe ill hold these species for the time being..

Yeah, taking in consideration all the replies i might hold on them for the time being, perhaps ill stick with the Davus pentaloris or the Avicularia juruensis (ex. peru purple) maybe..
Avicularia juruensis are beautiful spiders. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got one!

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Caribena laeta and Ybyrapora diversipes which are awesome awesome arboreals that are far underrated and overlooked in my opinion.
Quite beautiful... but, Ybyrapora Diversipes i cant find it available (in a trustworthy place that i know of in EU)

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
If you think you're ready for an arboreal that's faster take your pick of your favorite psalmo.

Stay in the NW and you should be fine!
Mabye a Avic before a psalmo my P cambridgei was a 7s drag cars point A- Point B

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Any place where i can find the Ybyrapora Diversipes available? Pref Germany but other EU will do too.
What about the Avicularia braunshauseni?

I found this website www aquaterra-shop de/ Any one here knows it?

Mabye a Avic before a psalmo my P cambridgei was a 7s drag cars point A- Point B
Well better to get more experience with Avic i guess... however i will have it in time.

Last edited:

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Y. diversipes is arguably the most defensive of that whole avicularia subfamily, obviously individual temperment can vary! They are absolutely freaking gorgeous however and show some of the most beautiful colors as they grow from sling to juvie to adult.

I love Psalmos as well, have raised a handful of cambridgi to adulthood in close to a year (warm LA temperature, and food offered often), they do grow awesomely fast but it's awesome watching them grow up. I've had some be sweet and some be mean and keep in mind attitudes can change with a molt! I'm raising a handful of irminia and versicolor slings right now as well. If I remember right my versi matured from 2i to adult mature male in about 1.5 years give or take. Keep in mind however, growth rates vary dramatically based on temperature, food offered and size of enclosure (size of enclosure because it potentially affects behavior and feedrate).

Last edited:

Yigzatoth

Arachnopeon
Y. diversipes is arguably the most defensive of that whole avicularia subfamily
Sadly it seems quite hard to find in EU at the moment, the only place where i could find it seems a bit weird.

I love Psalmos as well, have raised a handful of cambridgi to adulthood in close to a year (warm LA temperature, and food offered often)
Well i do live in Germany, lately, the weather has been quite hot (around 30º Celsius), i guess it isn't as hot as LA but not as cold as it should be expected in Germany.

If anyone could point me in the direction of the Y. diversipes i would be quite grateful.

Thanks

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
As you mentioned D. pentaloris: really good choice, I love everything from mine (female juvenile), really pretty as you can see from pictures on the web, also my most active at the moment, she spent the first month inside the hide, then molted and now is always out in the open, webbing or moving substrate. She is quite skittish though, and can be really really fast at time, but you just need to be cautious and it will be fine.

Not the most common new world terrestrial species, because she is not reaching a big size, and not the most "docile" one, but if you dont mind these two points, go for it!!! You will not regret it ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They're basically the easiest of the intermediate species, I wouldn't really recommend getting one until you have a little more experience though. They're very fast and, while unlikely to bite, they have more potent venom than other NW species (not OW bad but a bite will still ruin your day, and possibly the day after that).

Most species from the Aviculariinae subfamily (Avicularia/Caribena/Antillena/Ybyrapora/Iridopelma) are classed as beginner species. Iridopelma/Ybyrapora are faster and have a bit more attitude than the others, Caribena laeta are also known for being a bit cranky.