Unwrapping a sling molt

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
How do you guys unwrap your sling/juvenile molts? I always have trouble doing that and always rip them open or fail to find the place where 2 sides of abdomen are glued together. I am unable to sex my T's at younger ages because of that and I would appretiate some advice. P.s. I am always using water+soap.

Mila

Arachnoknight
I believe you soak them in warm (soapy?) water. Although I've never even owned a tarantula so don't take my word as the holy passage x

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
When I try to unwrap a molt. I remove the piece from the carapace first. Also I don't take the molt out of the water. Much easier in the water.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I believe you soak them in warm (soapy?) water. Although I've never even owned a tarantula so don't take my word as the holy passage x

this is correct, for a little molt, get a little deli cut, put some warm water and about 1-2 drops of dawn. slowly stir it together(don't get it bubbly or foamy)
i usually put the whole molt in(if its not one I'm going to keep for a specific purpose) and then lay it on the bottom of the cup and i take two plastic/acrylic chop sticks(pointy but not sharp, can find them usually for like 2-3$ for a pack of a dozen at a local asiana market or so) and i usually hold it open in the water and either put a piece of firm plastic behind it, or ill sometimes lay the whole Cup into the slide tray of my Microscope to look at it that way.

but either way warm soapy water(And gloves if its a hairy NW)

Haemus

Arachnosquire
What I like to do is strip electrical wiring and use that as my pliers. The smaller or more delicate the molt, the finer the I wire use.

I also find that backlighting the molt helps seeing where folds are. I use a tracing back lit pad, but the screen light on any smart phone should be plenty for a sling.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I usually unwrap the whole soaked molt with the largest sewing needles I can find while looking at it through a microscope (8.75x manification). It is also easier to see if there is an spermatheca on the molt by gently stroking the epigastric furrow as something will 'flap back' once it is pulled towards the spinerettes.

Another tip: cut off the lower half of the piece of molt that covered the abdomen. You will not need it for sexing anyway and it makes the mold easier to spread out.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I dont put them directly in water because they get too fragile. The water always makes the ab ball up. I heat regular water til it's hot enough to steam. Put aplastic lid with holes on the steaming container and place tarantula on top. I use an old cool whip lid with holes. This way the molt is untangled and posed, but much less delicate.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Oh, forgot to mention placing plastic wrap over the whole thing to really give the molt a steam bath.