Unwelcome Guest

IsopodBrock

Arachnopeon
Hi,

Im new to the Isopod game and got my first setup the other day. My isopods arrived sooner than expected so i had to get some little pieces of wood from a wood near to me.

When i was adding in my Isopods i noticed an unwelcome guest, but I'm not sure if I need to be worried or if it will be fine as a welcome guest. The guest in mention and I cant confirm till I get a picture for you is either a millipede or a centipede. If it helps I'm from the UK. I tried to get a picture but i wasn't quick enough to catch it and now its ran into the ground lol

The Isopods i have are the Porcellio Laevis, will this be ok to live with them?

Thanks

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it was fast enough to get away from you, it was probably a centipede. Millipedes can cohabit with isopods with no problem (other than competition for food) but centipedes will definitely feed on them if they’re the only food source.

IsopodBrock

Arachnopeon
Hmmm i dont want to dig up everywhere looking for it as ive noticed i have babies in there, and dont want to hurt or disturb them too much. Would you suggest a way to lure this "beast lol out.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Good news i came to just look at my guys and the guest was sat on a leaf..... Heres a pick i caught it what do you think it is?
Looks like a millipede to me. I'd remove it from the Isopods. This is the reason I bake everything that goes into my Isopod cultures

DrippingPopsicle

Arachnosquire
thats a millipede! Isopods actually pose more of a threat to millipedes than millipedes do to isopods. Isopods tend to eat millipede eggs but since there was only one that shouldn't be a problem! Enjoy your "unexpected pet" millipedes can make excellent and interesting inverts!

DrippingPopsicle

Arachnosquire
thats a millipede! Isopods actually pose more of a threat to millipedes than millipedes do to isopods. Isopods tend to eat millipede eggs but since there was only one that shouldn't be a problem! Enjoy your "unexpected pet" millipedes can make excellent and interesting inverts!
but yeah make sure you remove it from the rest of the isopods, it will compete with the isopods for food which is not good

IsopodBrock

Arachnopeon
I've currently got him/her in a very tiny box, I'm thinking of keeping it but I need to get hold of another tub/box. It's only about 2/3cm long would a smallish home be ok for it?