Unusually calm female LP

Dora

Arachnopeon
I have a female Lasiodora parahybana that was like the hell was coming out of her each time I was opening her fauna..Walking around,kicking hairs and devouring everything in her way...All this until recently that I purchased a male for her and put his fauna next to her..Suddenly,she became extremely docile like a puppy and her appetite is very poor...I wanted to breed her but now that she doesn't eat very much I don't think it's a good idea for the male...Do you have any thoughts?Is actually the male the reason or something else?

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
My first thought is do you really want to breed this species? They have a LOT of babies.

Past that, hard to give an answer to her not eating when I don't know the last time she molted, how frequently she was eating prior to that, how large she is (although I would assume a large adult if you got a male for her...and I guess I would think the male is mature although it wasn't stated?)

If the male IS mature, have you seen remnants of a sperm web? Any drumming from either party?

Dora

Arachnopeon
She molted at May and I was feeding her about two times a week 5 morio or 2 large grasshopers...Her diagonial legspan is about 18 cm...I know that she may have 1000+ babies but since I don't have any experience in mating I think is the easiest species to breed and make the beggining...The male is mature I have seen him sometimes hitting his feet at the plastic wall of his fauna!

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I know that she may have 1000+ babies but since I don't have any experience in mating I think is the easiest species to breed and make the beggining
If what you are looking for is experience, there are a great number of more desired species that would be better learning tools since you would be able to find homes for them more readily.

Recommendations would be easy to find - I have seen threads on beginning breeding projects both recently and frequently.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How big is your female LP and do you think you're boy is mature or are you positive? He will have hooks and bulbous pediplaps..

So many questions needed to be asked and answers given before the will to further your experience in the hobby was knocked out of you..Lol..

It's true that this species can have a huge sac but if you think you can unload them ( hell give them away to friends or other enthusiasts) there is no reason not explore such a rewarding aspect of the hobby..

Dora

Arachnopeon
He is for sure MM!My female is approximately 4,5 years old and really large!!The legspan is 18 cm...Yes that was my thinking just to give them away I don't have the illusion that I will make money from them:p

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
One of my old mature female LPs is usually docile enough, but has been a lot more lately and refusing food the same as yours. She has now flipped over and started molting. I would at least consider this as a possibility for yours.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The male is mature I have seen him sometimes hitting his feet at the plastic wall of his fauna!

That's not how you sex tarantulas. You need to verify it by looking at his emboli.

Dora

Arachnopeon
She molted in May so it is not this...@Poec54 yes I know it was my answer to the question if either of them is drumming...The male had its ultimate molt he has hooks,sperm web and everything a right male has:p

14pokies

Arachnoprince
At 4 months into her molt cycle and being 5yrs old I would risk the breeding soon.. She may molt out but chances are you have enough time still.. Wait any longer and you will be pushing it.. Depending on your temps and how much she usually eats that is..

Have you seen the male make a sperm web or have you found the remains of one?

Even if she does eat your male he is on borrowed time any way and unless you have someone else with a female I think its worth the risk..

Keep trying to feed her untill saturday if she eats, great! Offer her food again the next night.. Do this untill she refuses food.. Then put him in.. He should be "safe"

If she doesn't eat this week by Saturday or Sunday and you have a good reason to believe he charged his palps put him into her enclosure.. I have never seen a female refuse food because she sences a mate but if her appetite is suppressed that could possibly be why..

Dora

Arachnopeon
@14pokies thank you very much I will follow your advice!I found the remainings of a sperm web I didn't see him creating it!

Dora

Arachnopeon
The mating attempt was succesful!!I will wait a couple of days to see the male recharging his pedipalps and try again:)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I do not believe the word "docile" should ever be used to describe a Tarantula. Some may be less active than others but thinking about them as being "docile" is a recipe for disaster on the day it decides to not give warning but instead lash out at being disturbed.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The mating attempt was succesful!!I will wait a couple of days to see the male recharging his pedipalps and try again:)
Congratulations.. No real need to tempt fate with your male if you saw an insertion.. Besides it's a good idea to keep him around incase she molts out..