Unusual live foods

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
I’ve seen posts online about keepers feeding their Ts caterpillars. I’m wondering how safe this is and if there is anything to be weary of in doing so?

Are there any other live foods or ones not regularly available on the market to be cautious of?

Are there any which are rare but nutritious for Ts?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I used the search function but could find anything.

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I’ve seen posts online about keepers feeding their Ts caterpillars. I’m wondering how safe this is and if there is anything to be weary of in doing so?

Are there any other live foods or ones not regularly available on the market to be cautious of?

Are there any which are rare but nutritious for Ts?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I used the search function but could find anything.
Caterpillars that are raised as feeders (such as hornworms) are fine, but you should never feed your pets wild-caught caterpillars - or any other wild-caught feeders - even if they're the exact same species that the pet stores sell.

Many caterpillars feed on toxic plants in the wild and sequester the toxins in their own bodies as a defense against potential predators - but those same caterpillars, hatched out and raised in captivity on a special non-toxic diet, can be safely used as feeders. There are also caterpillars that have other defenses like urticating hairs or venomous stinging spines which should be avoided. (These will not be sold as feeders, so as long as you stick to purchased feeders, you'll be fine.)

In addition to their diet, there's always the risk with anything wild-caught that it might have been exposed to pesticides or other chemicals or to parasites, viruses, or other pathogens that it might transmit to your tarantula.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Frogs, birds, toads, moths, etc.

Pinkies are popular for fattening up very large tarantulas post molt.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I occassionally feed fish to ts. View attachment 331021

Ive also fed bits of uncooked chicken to slings as well.
I have heard of this...I was reading some threads on another site and this topic was brought up...I literally thought they were joking.

But if you think about it: High Moisture Content; definitely Nutritious; Easily obtained and stored until needed...Yeah Why Not?

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I occassionally feed fish to ts. View attachment 331021

Ive also fed bits of uncooked chicken to slings as well.
Never heard of fish or raw chicken before. But feeding fish made me think of my friends 10+ year old piranha (rip). They would hand feed it pieces of frozen fish. Dip it in the water and the piranha would come to the surface and gently take it out of their hand. I found that amusing because all the piranha I had seen before that would just inhale whole goldfish.

cold blood

Staff member
Never heard of fish or raw chicken before. But feeding fish made me think of my friends 10+ year old piranha (rip). They would hand feed it pieces of frozen fish. Dip it in the water and the piranha would come to the surface and gently take it out of their hand. I found that amusing because all the piranha I had seen before that would just inhale whole goldfish.
Haha, thats dumber than handling an OBT. It doesnt take much for them to go from gentle grabbing to an all out smack....wouldnt even need to be full grown to take a finger off or remove a golf ball size chunk of flesh.

I lost my pirahna last year....mine was 22.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Haha, thats dumber than handling an OBT. It doesnt take much for them to go from gentle grabbing to an all out smack....wouldnt even need to be full grown to take a finger off or remove a golf ball size chunk of flesh.

I lost my pirahna last year....mine was 22.
No one knows how old that one was. They had it for 14 or 15 years at least. I agree in the stupidity factor as I have seen several other ones get crazy while feeding. But that one consistently would hand feed. I was there the day it passed.
Once my friend said "you should try!"
I make my money playing guitar and bass so I politely declined. The thought of Tony Iommi'ing my fingers hand feeding a piranha makes me cringe!

cold blood

Staff member
Is that a sprat fish your T is eating
its a goby

Do the bones pose an issue if they drag it underneath?
No, just becomes a bolus like any other undigestable material. Although theres not much bolus by the time they finish. Just keep the fish small or it takes too long to eat and can really start to smell. Not an issue for small fish though IME.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have fed my tarantulas raw chicken when i was out if feeders and i was cooking and drank wine. I was making chicken with a white wine sauce and thought that they should have some chicken too. They ate it, but i think insects are better in general. I have also fed a large tarantula X immanis a lizard that was injured when i found it when i was going home from a fishing trip